PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

whitt009
07-08-07, 07:49 PM
First of all, let me say that I have the utmost respect for what you do, and what you accomplish to be where you are. Respect and appreciation.

I was hoping to ask a number of questions and get them all squared away.

I'm busting my ass trying to get in shape for, what I hope, will be an eventual enlistment. I have a lot of ass-busting to do. I'll be honest.

I started at two weeks ago at 369lbs at 6'4. Now I'm at 348. I'm not losing unhealthily, just being more wise and it's happening how it's happening. What should I shoot for for the initial strength test? What diet would you suggest? What cardio? Shin splints are an issue I'm just toughing out with running.

Also, I'm a college student. I've got over 60hrs. How will this effect enlistment and the ASVAB and all?

As well as being a student, I have student loans. Will this debt prevent me from enlistment?

Thanks for your time and input. Again, nothing but respect for all of you.

sparkie
07-08-07, 08:22 PM
sounds like you have a life to square away before you want to take on the Marine Corps world. No disrespect at all, i love you for your desires, but make your first goal to care for yourself. We will always be here and do welcome you, when your ready. make this mistake not, The marines never served us, we served It, and proudly. take care of your needs. so you can be of good service. "There is no greater joy than to serve another".

How can I say this . Get your Ass up the rope, and get your Ass out of debt, and i would gladly call you brother. ;}

sparkie
07-08-07, 08:25 PM
And by the way whitt, PROFILE.... or no one need take you seriously.

whitt009
07-08-07, 09:23 PM
There we go. Updated my profile for everybody.

I'm a college student, but I'm willing to put it on hold indefinitely. I feel that I'm doing anything good with myself...I feel absolutely useless and I need to do something about it. I feel like I could bust my ass for the Corp and do whatever was needed.

The student loans are subsidized...and not really that big an issue. I just didn't know if it would prevent enlistment or not.

whitt009
07-08-07, 09:38 PM
Also...I'm 21. If it's something I'm going to do, it's something I've GOT to do soon. It's something I've always wanted.

sparkie
07-08-07, 09:39 PM
what they don't know won't hurt you. For instance, you don't have to tell your Recruiter you wore your mommies panties when you were 6. As far as college goes ... some could afford it ... and the rest of us just had to use our heads.
Sorry... wou sound bored. I believe you may have something. Loosing your life form your country may relieve boredem.

whitt009
07-08-07, 10:17 PM
Well, I can't stand the way the media treats this freakin' war. I'm surrounded by idiots and it's rediculous. I feel like I should be doing something to help, and if that meant dying in the service of my country and your corps, then that's how it is.

sparkie
07-08-07, 11:12 PM
good,son..... Dont look back. Mebbie I,ll see you at the gate someday

jetdoc
07-09-07, 08:33 AM
whitt, so your max weight is 261 at 76". You're at 348, so you still have a good amount to drop. You are heading in the right direction, just keep on the right path.

Student loans shouldn't be too big an issue, as they are deferred, right? Don't know the exact deal on that however.

Have you talked to a recruiter yet? If you get with one at least you will know what you have to do to get in. You will know the exact weight you have to loose. You will not be a Poolee yet but the recruiter here lets wannabees go out and run and exercise with them, and to join in on the get-togethers. That way you will be around others with your interest in the USMC. You will have a goal to focus on and look forward to the meetings.

This site, http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/Joining_the_Marine_Corps.htm has links to all sorts of USMC stuff. Thats where I found the weight requirements. Its a good link.

I'd be careful on the shin splints man. You can do cardio at the gym while working off the weight, and allow your shins to recover. That can be a problem, and you don't need that. Needing to lose weight I'd circuit weight train and do cardio. Pull ups and crunches too. After my shins were better I'd add some running, but not on concrete.

Just my 2cents.

whitt009
07-09-07, 12:24 PM
Thanks a bunch, both of you, for the advice.

As for cardio, along with getting any with a certain lift regiment, what do you think would be most acceptable? Swimming? Cycling? Or maybe just doing both until shin splints become less and less of an issue while running?

sparkie
07-09-07, 12:27 PM
Swimming for sure, great cardio, no shock to the bone structure.

jetdoc
07-09-07, 04:55 PM
Hey Tony, you go to Alabama and with your size do you play football by chance?

whitt009
07-09-07, 08:16 PM
I don't play football, but I kick myself every single day for not doing it like my coaches in HS begged. I chose marching band instead, and I still do it at the U of A. I'm currently in the gym kicking my a$$ to do either that at the end of this fall, or for tryouts for the Marine Corps sometime after that.

Lost another inch on the waist today. That's 3 inches in 2 weeks. I'd say I'm doing well to getting there.

What made you ask about football?

jetdoc
07-10-07, 06:51 AM
I asked about football as you go to Alabama and you're 6'4" and are over 300lbs, so it was more because of your size. I played in highschool and some in the Marines and I know just because someone is big doesn't make them a football player. But it helps being big, lol.

To be honest with you guy, if it were me, I know what I'd probably do...and this is just be talking as I don't know your whole situation however;

If you really want to go into the Marines why not go in as an officer? I'd finish college and get my degree for sure. That way you would still have 2 years left to drop your weight, in a healthy way and you'd have your degree at the end of the 2 years.

Just my 2cents.

jetdoc
07-10-07, 08:35 AM
Check your PM whitt, and way to go on dropping those inches man.