PDA

View Full Version : Marine recruit dies after four years in coma

3077India
07-08-07, 05:03 PM
Marine recruit dies after four years in coma (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/fayette/stories/2007/07/08/0709metmarine.html) <--(Click for Source Location)

By CHANDLER BROWN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/08/07

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/05/89/78/image_5578895.jpg
Josh Isaac was a fighter. The Peachtree City native nearly drowned at Marine Corps boot camp four years ago — in a case that drew criticism about how the U.S. Department of Defense trains service members.

In the years that followed the accident, Josh, in a coma like state, had countless brushes with death as he lay in a south Fulton County nursing home, unable to speak or eat on his own.

But, in the end, it was too much to bear, if not for him, for his family.
Josh died Saturday at 4:31 a.m., his mother, Malia Isaac, said. It was a week after doctors removed his feeding tube.

His mother, father Keith Isaac and sister Jill, 19, a student at Mercer University, were with him when he died.

"I've been watching the life drain out of him for the past four years, but nothing prepares you for the end," Josh's mother said.

Josh decided to join the military after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, setting his sites on the U. S. Marine Corps. Two days after graduating from Fayette County's McIntosh High School in 2003, Josh headed to Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, S.C.

Josh quickly acclimated to camp and grew close to the other men of Platoon 2064.

But tragedy struck on June 30, 2003. That morning Josh's platoon took part in routine combat survival class at a Parris Island pool.

Moments after jumping off a 10-foot-tall platform, Josh fell limp in the water and stopped breathing, according to Marine Corps investigators. He was rushed to a nearby naval hospital and then to the Medical University of South Carolina hospital in Charleston.

Malia Isaac rushed to Charleston, but by then it was clear: There was little doctors could do. Josh would spend the next four years with minimal brain function. He was treated in Charleston for eight weeks, then at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite.

For the past three years, he has been in room 112 of Dogwood Health and Rehabilitation Center in Fairburn, an 82-bed facility that houses mostly elderly patients. The federal government paid Josh's monthly $4,500 bill.

In an inch-thick report, the Marine Corps determined Josh likely suffered from hypoxia — prolonged oxygen deprivation — because his breathing muscles were temporarily paralyzed. Josh went without air to his brain for at least eight to 10 minutes, which could result in irreversible damage, according to the report.

Isaac's mother and sister both wept when his breathing tubes were removed at 8:16 a.m., June 30. It was four years to the minute after his accident.

"He smiled all week (since the tube was removed). It was the first time. He seemed so happy, not in pain," his mother said. "I'm going to wonder for the rest of my life if I did the right thing. But I believe I did. He didn't have much of a life anymore. It was time to let go."

thedrifter
07-08-07, 06:27 PM
RIP

Ellie

yellowwing
07-08-07, 09:32 PM
God rest Josh Isaac. He had great courage and determination, and now Peace and place in his Father's House.

LCPLE3
07-08-07, 11:18 PM
RIP :flag:

thedrifter
07-09-07, 06:54 AM
Peachtree City Marine Dies 4 Years After Accident

POSTED: 6:33 am EDT July 9, 2007

PEACHTREE CITY, Ga. -- The funeral will be held Wednesday for a Peachtree City native who nearly drowned at a Marine Corps boot camp four years ago.

The case involving Josh Isaac drew criticism about how the U.S. Department of Defense trains its service members.

His mother, Malia Isaac, says her son died at 4:31 a.m. Saturday; a week after doctors removed his feeding tube. His father, Keith Isaac, and 19-year-old sister Jill, a student at Mercer University, also were there.

Isaac decided to join the Marines after the September 11 terrorist attacks. Two days after graduating from McIntosh High School in Fayette County in 2003, he headed to Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina.

On June 30, 2003, his plantoon took part in a routine combat surival class at a Parris Island pool.

Marine Corps investigators say he feel limp in the water moments after jumping off a ten-foot-tall platform and stopped breathing.

He was treated at hospitals and for the past three years had been at Dogwood Health and Rehabilitation Center in Fairburn.

The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Mowell Funeral Home with a reception following at the Peachtree City Fire Department. Isaac volunteered at the department in high school.

Ellie