PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering at bootcamp?

BassoonistKT
07-07-07, 11:49 PM
I'm very confused about the advice I have been given for bootcamp. Some have told me to volunteer for everything while others have said don't volunteer for anything. I am just curious to hear anyones opinions on this. I will probably not be able to see the replies-for I'm heading for bootcamp tomarrow; but I'm sure there are other poolees who may have this same question.

thanks for your advice!

jackson07
07-08-07, 12:19 AM
Volunteer.. it will make your stronger in the end. Even if you get smoked for it; all it does is get you in better shape. The pain and suffering in boot camp is only temporary, and you will be more than glad you went through it all when it is over.

BassoonistKT
07-08-07, 12:31 AM
so when people are refuring to volunteering what sort of thing do the DI's ask you to volunteer for? Is it volunteering to be an example for something, or to do certain tasks?

davblay
07-08-07, 12:34 AM
I always gine three things a recruits should never do in Boot Camp:
1. Do as you are told, when you are told and to whom oyu are told,
2. Keep you mouth shut and ears open and respond shouting at the top of your lungs,
3. NEVER---NEVER volunteer for anything or let the DIs learn your name!

You will get all the 1/4 deck time you want without drawing attention to yourself!

davblay
07-08-07, 12:37 AM
so when people are refuring to volunteering what sort of thing do the DI's ask you to volunteer for? Is it volunteering to be an example for something, or to do certain tasks?

While I was in Boot Camp the DIs ask for anyone that had drivers license, they were driving wheel barrows after the others were driving the shovels in the ground digging up the sand to fill them. (example). So you use your own judgement!

BassoonistKT
07-08-07, 12:47 AM
I'm really hoping to work toward being an honor grad, and I thought maybe by volunteering that would help, but I guess not?

davblay
07-08-07, 12:51 AM
If you read all the poolee posts here you will see that most want the sme thing! It;s the luck of the draw, mad, plus a little of will power!

BassoonistKT
07-08-07, 12:53 AM
I think its natural to want to be the best of the best.

davblay
07-08-07, 12:58 AM
THE BEST OF THE BEST IS DEFINES IN MY CORPS AS BEING A MEMBER OF THE CORPS! Not all men can be the Squad leaders, Guides and Honor men! Bust your azz and get recognized and see where it takes ya, ok?

BassoonistKT
07-08-07, 01:01 AM
THE BEST OF THE BEST IS DEFINES IN MY CORPS AS BEING A MEMBER OF THE CORPS! Not all men can be the Squad leaders, Guides and Honor men! Bust your azz and get recognized and see where it takes ya, ok?

exactly so thats why I just figure I will work towards that and if I get it, awesome, but if I dont, at least I tried.

davblay
07-08-07, 01:40 AM
If you can understand this: "ITS MIND OVER MATTER---WE DON'T MIND AND YOU DON'T MATTER", if you can stand the pain then go for it!

ggyoung
07-08-07, 10:58 AM
When I went to bootcamp you were told when you were "volunteered". It was that simple.

Tyson
07-08-07, 01:27 PM
I don't know about everything posted here the di's learned my name at it worked out great for me.... i turned into the go to guy when something needed to get done, or someone done in lol. If you stand out enough by your pt or your leadership traits then your name is going to be learned wether you want it too or not.

BassoonistKT
07-08-07, 02:38 PM
well thank you everyone for your advice. I am on my way to the hotel to leave for bootcamp!
bye everyone!

davblay
07-08-07, 02:40 PM
Good luck Girl, give em hell!

Tyson
07-08-07, 04:01 PM
You will do fine

Tyson
07-08-07, 04:01 PM
You will do fine