PDA

View Full Version : Former Steeler Joins The Marines

thedrifter
07-07-07, 06:34 AM
Jul 6, 2007 11:05 pm US/Eastern
Former Steeler Joins The Marines

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH A man from Shaler who used to play for the Steelers will now wear a uniform of a different kind.

Bob Dzvonick, 27, joined the Marines and says football is now a distant memory.

He chased his dream of playing professional football until he was 26, and even played one season for the Steelers in the NFL Europe league.

But minor injuries often left Dzvonick sidelined. For a while he worked with Allegheny County District Attorney Stephan Zappala and thought about applying to law school, but walked into a Marine recruiting office on March 15.

“He came in and really motivated me. I am supposed to motivate them,” Recruiter Dan Black said. “He came in and told me he was on a professional football team and wanted that sense of pride, that sense of brotherhood back.”

Dzvonick found what he was looking for at Marine boot camp in Paris Island, South Carolina.

“I don’t even think of football anymore. I was told there is a football team in the Marine Corps, but I am watching the M-1 Abrams tank and I want to be on this tank as a gunner, driver, machine gunner,” he said. “I am going to master that. Down the road I want to shoot for OCS School. I would love to be commanding a unit of tanks.”

Dzvonick says for the first time in his life he feels like he’s accomplished something. He leaves Monday for combat training at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

Ellie

thedrifter
07-07-07, 06:36 AM
Ex-Practice Squad Steeler Joins Marines

UPDATED: 6:22 pm EDT July 6, 2007

PITTSBURGH -- Shaler native and Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad player Bob Dzvonick's perspective has changed.

He now goes by Pfc. Dzvonick.

Dzvonick, 27, a Shaler Area High School graduate, was the captain of the football team back then before heading to the University of Buffalo on a full
scholarship.

The talented athlete was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, before heading to play in the NFL Europe. The Steelers then signed him to their practice squad in 2005.

But Dzvonick was plagued by injuries and was let go in 2006, which is when he walked into a recruiting center.

Dzvonick lost 80 pounds for the Marines and said it is what he had always been looking for in life.

Dzvonick is the son of magisterial district Judge Robert Dzvonick.

Ellie