PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my father

Tlamph
07-06-07, 09:56 AM
Hi, my name is thomas lamph. I am looking for a man named douglas alan potter. I have never met my father as he left before I was born.

I was wondering you guys know a way i coudl conduct this search.

He was a marine, (i dont know when) but it was before 1984.
He was living in salt lake city, at the tiem I was born, and moved to las vegas nevada shortly after. He is in his mid 40s and thats pretty much all i knwo about that guy.

Anyways, if you guys could help me I would really appreciate it.

I am prior service army (was in for 3 years 1 of which was in iraq) I was a 13B AKA Field arty.I am 23 years old and have never met my dad.

DCYMCO
07-10-07, 01:24 PM
Hi, Thomas. I don't know your father, but I just wanted to wish you luck in your search.

Chumley
07-11-07, 12:13 PM
Hi Thomas,

There are a number of websites and subscriber sites that may offer you ways to track down your father. "Net Detective" has received good on-line reviews, and there are quite a few more sites and products available. I think Net Detective cost $30 for 3 years... It's way cheaper than a private detective.

(Actually, it's pretty scary how easily people can access what we think is secure and private information such as credit / financial info and legal / criminal history, simply by paying $29.95 for a CD or subscription....YIKES! - nothing is sacred)

I have a younger half-sister that also doesn't know who her father is, and our mother has passed away, taking her secrets with her, so I can somewhat relate to you.

Good luck with your search!! Keep your emotions in check as you go, and your expectations low. There are some questions in life that go un-answered. This is not good or bad, just the way it is, so stay positive always! (Christ - I'm getting old and have delusions of Confucious - never listen to anything I have to say - best advice I can give )

Chumley

GySgtRet
07-11-07, 04:10 PM
I wish you well in your research. A place to start would be right here on Leatherneck. You may be able to retrieve your father's DD-214 and other records I am not sure what all you need the more information that you have the better of course. It takes between 4-6 weeks to get the information though, I have heard of pretty good sucess.

Good luck.