PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone to interview

SgtSpurlock2141
07-06-07, 08:41 AM
I am currently putting together a presentation titled "Utilizing the Marine Corps Leadership Traits and Principles in a Plant Environment: Can it Work?"

This will be a 1 hour presentation given to several manufacturing facility leaders from across the state of Indiana. In addition to this presentation, I plan to write a feature editorial column on the same topic for a trade magazine that my employer publishes. That magazine is called "Reliable Plant" and is published by Noria Corporation. Here is a link: www.reliableplant.com

You can read some of my editorial columns here: http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/results.asp?search=spurlock

If you would be interested and willing to let me interview you (just a few questions related to leadership) and publish the results of the interview, please contact me. The ideal person that I'd like to interview would be a prior active duty Marine that is now working in the civilian sector. As prior active duty Marines, we are all in a leadership role of some sort, but I'd like someone that has what is considered an upper management position in his/her current company. Marines that own their own company would also work.

Thanks in advance and SEMPER FI!
:usmc:

thedrifter
07-06-07, 09:50 AM
Thanks

Ellie

Chumley
07-12-07, 09:50 AM
Sgt Spurlock,

Since leaving the good ol' USMC in '93, I worked for 5 years as a field technician / installer in the communications industry. I was singled out and promoted above the supervisory levels into management in '98, where I spent another 5 years as a production manager handling day-to-day opereations. I know that my Marine experience is what allowed me to succeed. In '03 I left that GE company and went on to a career in NYS Civil Service, where again my USMC background not only has helped me succeed, but earned me veterans points further enabling the most recent promotion last year to happen, and has opened up an upward career path in civilian government service. Additionally, it's important to note overall that relationships I've developed with former military, higher level government, and co-workers in general is certainly enhanced by the mere association with the Marines.

Organizational skills, concepts of efficiency, reaching goals and objectives, all the things that become second-nature to Marines are ideal to the rest of the civilian workforce as well as the USMC, and are in high demand.

If any of this seems along your lines of interest, please feel free to contact me directly, preferably via email at blood-stripe@hotmail.com. I usually respond in the evenings to that account, East Coast standard time.

Good luck in your endeavour!!
SFi
Chumley

Zulu 36
07-12-07, 11:38 AM
Here are a couple of books you might be interested in - if you don't already have them:

Carrison, Dan & Walsh, Rod (1999). Semper Fi: Business leadership the Marine Corps Way. American Management Association, New York.

Freedman, David (2000). Corps business: The 30 management principles of the U. S. Marines. HarperCollins, New York.

The first is written by two Marine officers, the second by a professional business writer who extensively interviewed and observed Marine leadership in action.