PDA

View Full Version : Sit-Rep - Afghanistan

thedrifter
07-06-07, 07:56 AM
Sit-Rep - Afghanistan
Posted By Blackfive

Via Seamus, here is a situation report out of Afghanistan from a Marine Captain:

...It means so much to us to know that there are people back home supporting what we do. For that I honor you. A Marine alone is a formidable foe for any enemy on the battlefield, but one with high morale is unbreakable.

A little about us and the unique mission we are on. We are a small detachment (18 total) here in Afghanistan training the Afghan National Army (ANA). I currently am located in the Kunar Province. The only way we get re-supplied here is by air. Almost no vehicles will drive near our location because it is too dangerous. My team consists of GySgt [redacted] (one of the best in the Corps), HM3 [redacted] (he may have joined the Navy, but he's a Marine) and myself. That's it; the rest of the 18-man detachment is spread throughout other areas of the Province. We are embedded with an Afghan infantry company. We eat, sleep, fight and bleed with the ANA. Let me tell you, the ANA have some of the fiercest warriors I have ever met (next to the Marine Corps). They display the same honor, courage and commitment for liberating their country as we do to keep ours' safe. We've been up and down mountain after mountain and in countless fire-fights and ambushes with these soldiers, and we have fought through each one of them side by side and have always come out victorious. They do not know how to quit, and there is no doubt in my mind that if the entire Afghan Army displays the same dedication that this company does, Afghanistan will be in control of its own destiny soon enough.

Our deployment is almost over. In about a month, we will be back home with our families and friends. It is their support and the support of organizations and people like you that keep us going during these tough times that our country calls upon us. We all volunteered for this job because we all know that we can make a difference in the world. We only continue to carry the torch that many a better man than we carried before us.

No matter what the media says, we WILL win this fight.

Semper Fidelis and God Bless

WM
Capt USMC

Ellie