PDA

View Full Version : Marine re-enlists to spare a husband, father Iraq tour of duty

thedrifter
07-06-07, 07:11 AM
Marine re-enlists to spare a husband, father Iraq tour of duty

Last Update: Jul 5, 2007 7:43 PM

Posted By: brynn galindo

BAKERSFIELD - Once a Marine, always a Marine, and for three years, Marine Sgt. Son Lam, 24, trained reservists in Bakersfield. Wednesday night he was sworn in for a second tour of duty, and is headed for Iraq.

“I do it for the man to my left and to my right, for my fellow Marines. I do it for my country,” Lam said. “We train hard, and I live with these guys every day, and I feel I need to be with them, so I just want to be there with them until everything is done and over with.”

Lam was re-enlisted at a special ceremony at Bakersfield College Wednesday night, surrounded by friends, family and fellow Marines.

He enlisted for a four-year tour under the condition he would be allowed to deploy to the Iraq war zone.

Lam is unmarried and said if spending the next four years in Iraq can save a family from being apart or experiencing tragedy, he will gladly serve.

“My spot going is another married man or another father, another husband that's staying home with his family,” he said, “so I feel that I would be perfect for the spot and perfect for the job.”

Lam said he chose to remain single to better serve his country and those around him.

He is scheduled to ship out to Iraq in four months.

Ellie