PDA

View Full Version : Desert Storm warriors reunite

thedrifter
03-19-03, 05:09 PM
Desert Storm warriors reunite
Submitted by: 3d Marine Aircraft Wing
Story Identification Number: 200331812543
Story by Staff Sgt. John C. DiDomenico

KUWAIT(March 18, 2003) -- It's been said, "it's a small world." Twelve years ago, they lived in underground holes on the Saudi and Kuwait border as young lieutenants. Not only did they come from different sides of the globe, cultures and religions; but also belonged to different military services.

Both were ready to breach the Iraqi minefields to liberate the one's homeland. They quickly became friends forged in the fires of combat. Following the war, they would visit each other once in the U.S., in 1995. However, they lost touch with one another until six months ago.

Maj. Scott D. Witte, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing combat engineer officer, originally from Pennsylvania now living Louisiana, and Kuwaiti Air Force Captain Madhi Al-Shammari recently met each other again after approximately three years of not being in contact and renewed their time-lapsed friendship.

According to Witte, he attempted several times to get in contact with his friend, but not speaking Arabic was an obstacle.

"I tried to call him several times during a three month period. Somebody who only spoke Arabic always answered the phone," Witte recalled with a grin and a laugh. "I couldn't speak or understand a word but I quickly realized Madhi didn't live there anymore. When I couldn't reach him and hadn't heard from him, I hoped he would eventually contact me. About six months ago, I finally received a call from him and found out he had moved to a different part of the city and had a new phone number unbeknownst to me."

As his friend laughed, Madhi added his hearty laugh and agreed. He was in Florida attending school in 1995 and he asked an instructor how to contact a friend in the Marine Corps. His instructor put him in touch with a Marine instructor and by that afternoon, Madhi was able to contact his old friend.

"I called him and said, 'Scott, why haven't you called me?'" Madhi said. "He said, 'I did try but you moved and didn't tell me.' I said, 'Oh yeah, I did move. Sorry.'"

During their brief reunion visit, the two Gulf War veterans recanted war stories, memories and talked about friends and family.

"We lived in two-man holes underground on the border with pit vipers and other creatures," Witte recalled. "One morning, we woke up at 3 a.m., to the ground shaking and trembling from artillery fire. We wondered if it was outgoing or incoming. When the sun came up, we looked to our rear and saw an American 155mm artillery unit had set up approximately one hundred yards away during the middle of the night and lobbed shells over our heads. The ground shook so hard, the sand started caving in on us in our holes. It was never a dull time as we waited to attack on G-day."

Between the friends, nothing was totally sacred to include the language and religion. Witte recalls messing around with Madhi about his ritual prayers.

"I knew a little a bit about his culture. He's as bad as a good Catholic," Witte said with an impish grin and smile looking at his friend. "Tapping my watch, I would joke, 'Madhi, it's prayer time, how many times did you pray today?' or 'Madhi, you're facing the wrong way, Mecca's the other way.'"

Madhi laughed and recalled missing speaking Arabic since he was the only Kuwaiti attached to the unit, being from a different service and not seeing his family.

"Yeah, I missed speaking my language. I learned how to curse in English and drink a lot of coffee vice my tea," he laughed. "I even told him, 'Scott, Kuwaiti Air Force personnel don't live like this. I don't live in the ground or understand how U.S. Marines endure such hardships.' Normally, I see my family every two or three days. If I didn't, I would get a call and told to visit. We had fun kidding each other though."

Both shared the ups and downs during the war. Madhi recalled his friend's anxiousness when they heard a radio broadcast about a downed aircraft. Witte's older brother was a U.S. Navy A-6 Intruder pilot stationed on the USS Ranger during the war.

"He was very testy and upset," Madhi said. "We were both glad to find out his brother was fine, but sad about the crew of the downed plane."

As the reunion ended, the two vowed not to lose touch with each other again.

"It's a little easier now since we have the Internet and each other's e-mail address," Witte said. "We have a great relationship and built a lifelong bond of brotherhood and mutual respect."

"Scott's a good man. He's my best friend," Madhi concluded. With a smile and wink, turned to his friend asking "Scott, when will we get together again?"

Who could foresee the irony 12 years later, they would meet the other again, this time on a different border further north than previously, but still just as prepared and willing to do whatever it takes, all over again.

It is indeed a small world.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200331831446/$file/LtsWitteAlShammari_Small.jpg

2nd Lts. Scott Witte and Madhi Al-Shammar first met and worked together during Operation Desert Storm. Six months ago, Maj. Scott D. Witte, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing combat engineer officer, renewed his friendship with Capt. Madhi Al-Shammari, Kuwait Air Force after losing touch for three years.
Photo by: Photo courtesy of Capt. Madhi Al-Shammari, Kuwaiti Air Force

Sempers,

Roger