PDA

View Full Version : Just want some clarification

HellMarcher514
07-06-07, 01:13 AM
I've been getting advice from as many people as possible about how to prepare for Boot Camp. One person who has given me some information that I'm not so sure about is my dad's business partner, who was a SAR Swimmer in the Navy. He recomended that I start getting up at 0400 and PT immediately after because that's what I'll be doing in Boot Camp. I was just wondering if that's entirely accurate, and if not, what time is reville exactly? I also heard from my dad who served in the National Guard that they used to run about a half mile first thing in the morning consistently, and I was wondering if that is standard practice in the USMC as well.

Thanks,
~David

Tyson
07-06-07, 08:35 PM
well your info is wrong, reville goes at different times depends on what is on the line up for the day, but it is never later than 0500 unless its on sunday i think it was, a half mile run first thing in the morning is nothing but a joke to marine's and the di's won't even waste there time with that, as for 0400 pt i think that is alittle early for you to start but i would recomend you start pt'ing alot on your own, and work on your pull up's that is where you make your money on your pft, if you can do 20 pull up's and 100 crunches then your golden and you can run a slower run time and still get a 1'st class pft, also when you go to mcrd when you get on the rifle range shoot the best you can that also helps out alot later down the line trust me on that.

Haffner
07-06-07, 11:50 PM
Get used to speaking in the 3rd person =p

HellMarcher514
07-06-07, 11:57 PM
Thanks, I've already done 20 pull-ups before and I've gotten to 103 crunches in 2:00 consistently, so it really is just the run I have to work on at this point. I was planning on starting speaking in the 3rd person and such about two weeks from my ship date, along with yelling a lot and all that.

Thanks again!

Tyson
07-07-07, 10:10 AM
your well on your way do you know what you 3 mile run time is as of rite now? and i wouldn't start yelling and doing any of that till you got there the di's loved it when recruits would lose there voice it showed them that they were sounding off and trying.

HellMarcher514
07-07-07, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure about my 3 mile run yet. We did an IST at today's Pool Function at Naval Station Everett as usual, and my run was 11:29 for 1.5 miles. I'm not sure I'll be losing my voice anyway, we've got enough people leaving that Ssgt. Allen has taken to having us do extra exercises that require sounding off (warm up stretches, formation fun, and cool-down strechtes/exercises [which was a bit unusual]) a lot. Still, I'll take your word and hold off on the yelling until I'm down there.

Haffner
07-07-07, 07:34 PM
I know you do IST stuff at pool functions, but do yourself a favor: take it upon yourself to run at LEAST three miles. Just make sure everytime you run, you push outside of that comfort zone.

Once you get out of bootcamp, three miles is going to be the shortest run you go on, hint hint. Prepare in advance! Anytime you prepare in advance you set yourself up for success. Think about all the poolees who exercise only at pool functions/ when the recruiters tell them to and only do IST's.

Now, imagine that you get yourself used to running at least three miles at a time, and PT at least 3-4 times a week (assuming your recruiter doesn't already take control of that).

Who's gonna be the hotshot, and who's not?

HellMarcher514
07-07-07, 08:21 PM
Thanks, I'll start the extra running. I typically PT 6 days a week, sometimes 7.

Haffner
07-07-07, 08:26 PM
Well that's definently good to go. Make sure you don't burn yourself out though. Mix up the hard runs with (for lack of a better term) easier runs.

When I went to bootcamp, I had only conditioned myself for IST's. Ended up with a crappy run time comin' out (about 25:30). Now I'm at a 19:30, due to alot of extra work, but I could've been at tihs point a while back if I spent more time concentrating on the PFT and not an IST before I joined.

HellMarcher514
07-07-07, 09:38 PM
Thanks again for the info. I'm assuming most of the exercises in Boot Camp will be the same as what we do at Pool Functions, but I was wondering if there are any exercises that you'll only see in Boot Camp, and what they are so I can prepare.