PDA

View Full Version : Evil eyes standout

thedrifter
07-05-07, 07:18 PM
With coalition forces focused on the troop surge in support of the Baghdad Security Plan, Operation Fardh al Qanoon, it is individuals within the ranks who generally determine success or failure.

Sgt. Jordan M. Keefover, CH-46E Sea Knight mechanic for Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 163 (Rein), is one Marine who, through dedication, hard work and long days, is doing his part to ensure that he and his fellow “Evil Eyes” Marines will achieve the missions they’ve been tasked to carry out.

Keefover, who works on the flightline, explained how it is the center of the squadron’s operations.

“We are the base of the squadron, holding the unit together,” he said. “We own the fliers, mechanics and inspectors, and we continuously strive to keep the birds in the air to accomplish missions.”

Keefover recognizes his responsibility – not only for his life, but for the lives of others. The maintenance performed by mechanics on each aircraft affect everyone involved in the mission, and any action not finished or inspected with a finest-toothed comb can result in lost of life.

“We need to do maintenance right the first time,” said the Beatrice, Neb. native and 2003 Beatrice High School graduate. “Our job saves money, man-hours and, more importantly, lives –and that’s what it is all about.”

The 22-year-old Keefover was meritoriously promoted to his current rank on May 2, for his leadership abilities and after receiving honors at the Corporal’s Course. One of the many goals he is working towards is to become an aerial observer/gunner. He has approximately 40 flight hours under his belt.

“In addition to becoming an aerial observer/gunner, I want to earn my collateral duty inspector stamp, quality assurance stamp and be plane captain,” said Keefover. “In my personal life I want to start a family with my wife Jana.” They have been married since November 2006.

Keefover, who has been in the Marine Corps for nearly four years, is taking it one enlistment at a time but plans to stay in. He’s considering becoming a drill instructor, recruiter or applying for the Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program.

In his free time, Keefover loves the outdoors, tinkering with antique automobiles, and spending time with his family.