PDA

View Full Version : Name your favorite liberty port/location

Pages : [1] 2

Sixguns
07-18-02, 05:30 PM
I recently looked back through a photo album of some of my USMC pictures. As I flipped through the pages I began to remember a lot of the good times I had while on liberty or leave. I thought we all might enjoy a trip down memory lane and I am asking for some of your favorite liberty ports/locations. I'll tell you my favorite was P.I., and for those who may not know, it doesn't stand for Parris Island!

thedrifter
07-18-02, 05:46 PM
I was stationed at MCAS Kaneohe Bay. Best 2 years of my time in the Corps. Had an Apartment in Waikiki. Favorite hangout was Forbidden City.......HE HE HE HE
Got to meet Peter, Paul and Mary .

Sempers,

Roger

LadyLeatherneck
07-18-02, 07:40 PM
Sixguns, PI as in the Phillipines right?!..LOL
I've heard way too many stories about good ol' PI...
where boys go and well I'll just quote...
"FI DOLLA!!!"

Well being I traveled soooooooooooooo much when I
was in the Marine Corps I guess it would definitely have
to be, let me see....gosh there's just so many to pick from..
well I guess it would have to be Camp Pendleton, CA...LOL!

The DelMar E Club was always somewhere interesting
to go hang out at....LOL!

SSgtOfMarines
07-18-02, 07:45 PM
gotta be Pattia Beach, Thailand..... those of you that were there I dont have to explain. Those of you that weren't,well, it would be illegal to explain.:cool: :cool:

Sniperone
07-18-02, 08:43 PM
I have Been to most of the Islands in in the east and I have been to 47 of the 50 states, but the best place to go on leave was home. I only came home on the 4th of July in the summer and for PA. deer season in the winter. For liberty I had the most fun driving my buddies 5.0 mustang from Camp Pendleton to Pocatello Idaho at 95 mph just for a weekend of deer hunting, snowmobiling and partying at night. I only got stopped for speeding once, that was in Cedar city Utah, doing 93 in a 55! the Trooper let us go with a warning..... He was a former Sailor and knew how it was to be on liberty!!

mrbsox
07-18-02, 09:46 PM
Snipr said it... best lib was at home !! :)

lets see... Christmas morning, '77, standing Quarterdeck watch in Naples Italy... naw that wasn't fun, just memorable.

Or then there was the WestPac in '76. Mom sent me a Rum Fruitcake over the holidays. Took the (homemade.... too die for) fruitcake, SET IT IN A PAN OF RUM till it was **ALL GONE**. Got hammered in troop compartmentof LPH#3 :D

But hitchhiking from LeJeune to Nashville, AND back on a 72 hour liberty. Was a whole lot more fun than Court St, Jacksonville.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Got some others too but maybe I should keep THOSE to myself. :D

fabboss
07-18-02, 09:53 PM
PI was good um good liberty but the best had to be Kowloon, Hong Kong, and the Waltzing Matilda Inn (PUB) or Bottoms Up club.:D

gylancaster
07-18-02, 10:03 PM
Bankock Thialand

badbob
07-18-02, 11:00 PM
Kim Village Oki.

Right outside of Camp Hanson, second only to Hotel St, in Hawaii.

I unfortunately I got stuck in Oki for R&R. On my return to Vietnam from a Hospital stay in Guam. They gave me a 7 day layover at Camp Hansen. I spent my entire R&R plus a months advance pay in Kim Village.

The New York Bar was my favorate hang out. KaKo was my favorite B-Girl. When she asked me my name, I told her it ewas BoB'o -

Upon my return from Vietnam, 5 months later, I walked into the Ny Bar, and from across the dance floor, came a very high pitched, BOB'O.

So for me, it definately was Kim Village.

SgtMac
07-20-02, 01:43 PM
My buddy and I met two great ladies there who to this day remain in our thoughts. Can't beat that!

TeufelHunden
07-20-02, 03:00 PM
...It's a toss up between - Pattaya Beach, Thailand & Olongapo or Angeles City or Manila or Baguio, Philippines.

Of course during most libo in above ports, was drunk as a skunk 99.99% of the time - so there are probably better liberty locales - but the 00.01% that I remember were some wild times indeed :D

JRtheSTAR
07-21-02, 06:29 AM
Without a doubt, it was Bangkok, Thailand. Bangkok was just opened up for R&R and I was on the second wave to go there. Often wondered If it was that good or was it because I had been in Nam for 9 months when I went for 5 days. Naaaa, It was that good. The next best was ( can't remember the correct spelling but is pronounced ) Cow Chung, Taiwan. Also up there is Olongopo, P.I. and Iwakuni, Japan.

NamGrunt68
07-21-02, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by thedrifter
I was stationed at MCAS Kaneohe Bay. Best 2 years of my time in the Corps. Had an Apartment in Waikiki. Favorite hangout was Forbidden City.......HE HE HE HE

Sempers,

Roger

Damn Drifter, I'd felt much better about your post if you would of said...Got to meet Peter, Paul and Mary....I shook their hands and then dragged them left wing liberal war protestin sum*****es out back and stomped a mud hole in their azzes......

Was at MCAS Kaneohe also....enjoyed Davy Jones Locker and Cho Cho's a bar in Honolulu...spent a lil time down on sh!t street sometimes........Met my wife in Kaluia where she was workin at a dept store by the name of Coronet's....she is from Calif and was over in Hawaii living with her brother and sister in law.......po girl is still followin me around the Country !!! Anybody know how I can shake her !!! LMAO !!

Barrio_rat
07-21-02, 09:17 AM
Let's see...

Ejoyed the hell out of Okinawa. Was on Futenma so I was close to Naha and 'the wall.' Plenty of good parties I don't remember too much about at the wall. BC street and whisper alley.

Angeles City, Olongapo, Barrio Barretto (Hence the nick name) were always great and accomodating. Strange though, how word of mouth they know yer there... Filipino word of mouth is faster than the telephone. Makes it tough to meet the next girlfriend. Hehe. Hung out at Wiskey River and The Blue Parrot in the barrio and usually was in Peso Jimmy's in Olongapo, though I've been to Cal Jams, Sierra Club, T's and a few of the others in Olongapo. The DMZ, Love Birds (yeah, I liked the name too), and Nipa Hut were fun in Angeles. I liked balute so much I had to go and marry one. I still get hell for all the time I spent in the bars there. LOL. Nothing like the smell of dried fish frying in the kitchen.

Korea was a fun place. Anjan ri (sp?) Camp Humphreys. Army rolls their sleves down for winter before the USMC so we were ordered to roll ours down as well to be uniform. Bunch of us thought if they want uniform let the Army keep theirs up. Also had plenty of fun in Pohang and Pusan and I've still got my mink blanket.

Liked Hong Kong a lot. Sydney was a nice place. Couldn't stay, the Corps made me wait 3 weeks after my dad died and then the day we hit port in Sydney they cared so much they made me fly out that day. Only good thing was I got to watch green peace get chased by the cops on the water and didn't have to man the rails.

Could have done without Port of Al Jabail, Saudi Arabia. Dubai, United Arab Emmerates was pretty cool. Sat by a pool drinking some strong mixed drinks at a 5 star hotel. Not a bad way to earn your combat pay.

prmama
07-21-02, 10:26 AM
Well, there was so many places working with C-130's in Oki that there is a few.
My CO took us to Koerea for the wkend. He told us that we r in a mission it was a shopping spree mission and we r to have fun. Well, I got back to Oki with some christmas presents for my family.
Another was Australia when a few of us went to see some of the sites there. The Beauty of the waterfalls and everything about it.
But the best of all was when we was at Nelis Ariforce Base in Vegas. Work the 2nd shift and by 8:00 every nite was in the strip with everyone getting drunk.

Heather

NamNuts
07-21-02, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Barrio_rat
Let's see...

Ejoyed the hell out of Okinawa. Was on Futenma so I was close to Naha and 'the wall.' Plenty of good parties I don't remember too much about at the wall. BC street and whisper alley.

Angeles City, Olongapo, Barrio Barretto (Hence the nick name) were always great and accomodating. Strange though, how word of mouth they know yer there... Filipino word of mouth is faster than the telephone. Makes it tough to meet the next girlfriend. Hehe. Hung out at Wiskey River and The Blue Parrot in the barrio and usually was in Peso Jimmy's in Olongapo, though I've been to Cal Jams, Sierra Club, T's and a few of the others in Olongapo. The DMZ, Love Birds (yeah, I liked the name too), and Nipa Hut were fun in Angeles. I liked balute so much I had to go and marry one. I still get hell for all the time I spent in the bars there. LOL. Nothing like the smell of dried fish frying in the kitchen.

Korea was a fun place. Anjan ri (sp?) Camp Humphreys. Army rolls their sleves down for winter before the USMC so we were ordered to roll ours down as well to be uniform. Bunch of us thought if they want uniform let the Army keep theirs up. Also had plenty of fun in Pohang and Pusan and I've still got my mink blanket.

Liked Hong Kong a lot. Sydney was a nice place. Couldn't stay, the Corps made me wait 3 weeks after my dad died and then the day we hit port in Sydney they cared so much they made me fly out that day. Only good thing was I got to watch green peace get chased by the cops on the water and didn't have to man the rails.

Could have done without Port of Al Jabail, Saudi Arabia. Dubai, United Arab Emmerates was pretty cool. Sat by a pool drinking some strong mixed drinks at a 5 star hotel. Not a bad way to earn your combat pay.

Yah Barrio! Non "A" sign barz in Naha and i spent many a night trying ta fall off the wall drinking copious amonuts of Akadama wine OR Nika whiskey!

Only tang better was Olongapo OR Rosie's Bar and Grill ner Danang drinking 33's and verticle buttstrokin beattlenuted momasans...LMAO

Hey another fun think on Oki! Kadena AirFarce Base...screwing with the gate guards. Ended up in dah brigg fer a few hours for showing them how to properly man the gate...ROFL..LoL

Little crazy after the nam!

Now Saudi forget it! But that was after USMC career!

NamNuts
07-21-02, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by NamGrunt68

Damn Drifter, I'd felt much better about your post if you would of said...Got to meet Peter, Paul and Mary....I shook their hands and then dragged them left wing liberal war protestin sum*****es out back and stomped a mud hole in their azzes......

ROGER THAT DANERZ...ROGER THAT!

by the way stop in this site Redwolf found ya'll..see "Vietnam Yearbook" especially!
http://www.viethero.com/

Barrio_rat
07-21-02, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by NamNuts

Yah Barrio! Non "A" sign barz in Naha and i spent many a night trying ta fall off the wall drinking copious amonuts of Akadama wine OR Nika whiskey!

Only tang better was Olongapo OR Rosie's Bar and Grill ner Danang drinking 33's and verticle buttstrokin beattlenuted momasans...LMAO

Hey another fun think on Oki! Kadena AirFarce Base...screwing with the gate guards. Ended up in dah brigg fer a few hours for showing them how to properly man the gate...ROFL..LoL

All we got was Orion beer, 4 bucks a glass. It was so expensive, I figured the glass came with it. Still got it too. Would go to Naha and get Saporo out of the vending machines, look see the sites and get drunk.

I do remember Rosie's ... shhhhhhh.. Don't tell the wife!

Didn't do much at Kadena, E Club was closed to Marines - they won all the fights! Buddy of mine joined in with Hands Around Kadena. The Japanese didn't care for him being there and said he should leave. He told them, I didn't ask to be here.. give me a plane ticket and I'm gone. So they asked him to join in.

JAMarine
07-22-02, 10:25 AM
OMG

Gotta be Fort Lauderdale during spring break...... Just gotta be. Oh Baby..Oh Baby!

grunt0351
07-22-02, 11:06 AM
Would have to be PI!:D

Like Rat, I liked it so much I had to bring one home with me:p
Lost her in 1995, and had to import another one to take care of me.

Grunt
08-07-02, 11:26 PM
How about Corfu, Greece

Man we were livin like yuppies on Sgts. pay and stakin down every topless beach on the island!!!

gemntx
08-08-02, 07:42 AM
I would have to agree with PI. Great place in '76. Then there was Palma Mallorca, Spain:eek:

8th&I Marine
08-08-02, 09:38 AM
Hey how about Gitmo? Not only no but hell no. I would say mine was 10 days in Maine doing nothing but fishing hunting and gettin really drunk with the locals

cantrell

Sparrowhawk
08-08-02, 10:00 AM
Just outside the wire, with mama-sons daughters....

ROTFLMAO

thedrifter
06-10-03, 09:58 AM
Bump....

Another post to get to know our members......

Sempers,

Roger

yellowwing
06-10-03, 10:25 AM
New Orleans! The sell beer at the public zoo and the IMAX! I'd reccomend going once during Mardi Gras just for the experience. Then go during the off season to really see The Big Easy.

Phil
06-10-03, 10:39 AM
Stationed in K-Bay, Waikiki w/ it's beaches, the women, dozens of bars and clubs, the women, rock climbing in north Oahu, the women.....LOL

Also when at Camp Hansen, the greatest little ****hole, KINVILLE (aka Sinville). I won't go into details though. The poolees might be reading this!:banana: :eek: :D

jryanjack
06-10-03, 10:49 AM
Without a doubt PI. Was there for 11 months on a MAGTF during the base talks. Worked our asses off, but the libo was more than worth it. Remember there was this bar, T's I think, that had free drinks from 6-7am, gates opened at 6, we did a formation run and woke the place up!

Super Dave
06-10-03, 11:00 AM
Palma de Mallorca, Spain was GREAT!! I sent 21 days there Christmas and New Years of 85 going into 86. I don't remember everything about every night, but I know I had a blast.

Devildogg4ever
06-11-03, 04:33 AM
Had a blast in Okinawa and Korea, but Olongapo, Philippines has to be the number 1 spot! :yes: :) :yes:

tommyboy
06-11-03, 11:50 AM
another vote for Pataya beach...or however its spelt :D :D :D

rexed
06-11-03, 12:55 PM
you betcha - the PI!! not only did I do high school there '65-'67, but got to go back for 30 days in olongapo in '68 - SCUBA school then back to that other slimey SE Asia joint
Semper Fi

CPLRapoza
06-11-03, 12:59 PM
Definetly Pattya for a float. But being in Charlie Comapany for MSGBN Bangkok is far more better.

1ofthefewer
06-11-03, 02:00 PM
The beaches in North Carolina. You ask why?

The sun, sand, and guys! They were all HOT!!

garryh123
06-11-03, 04:21 PM
Hell!!!! I got stuck in MCAS Yuma Arizona the for most of the time I was in. Wasn't able to transfer out. the most exotic I got was the 2 months I spent in MCAS El Toro!

Barrio_rat
06-11-03, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by 1ofthefewer
The beaches in North Carolina. You ask why?

The sun, sand, and guys! They were all HOT!!

North Carolina? I've been there - you need to get out more! LOL

Devildogg4ever
06-11-03, 07:34 PM
She has! North Carolina! We might only chu baccer and pla bal, but we do it good! :D

TJR1070
06-12-03, 08:55 AM
Just reading the other posts has brought back a flood of memories, and it sounds like I might have tossed back a few beers with some of you guys. Olongapo was awsome, spent a little time at T's Tavern (haha) . Subic City was always cool, take a yellow to a blue and let your dreams come true (jeepnies that is). Okinawa was a fun duty station and afford lots of entertainment during libo hours skeet shooting, scuba diving and Kinville, what an excellent combination. I liked Korea, Pohang was definately interesting, keeping your boots and cover while on liberty could sometimes be a challenge. Although if they did get "lost" you could always go to the Marine house about twenty minutes later and buy them back. Abu Dabi and Dubai were fun, but just a warm up for heading back to the P.I. The Phillipines the greatest liberty port invented by man or woman (mama-san to be exact). You just have to love a place that not only sends out bar girls to meet the ships as they come in, but can find out in advance what ships are coming and have Welcome signs already made up. Even though it's been over ten years since I have been to any of these places I remember it like it was yesterday. The greatest times in my life spent with the greatest people. Have a Red Horse on me Brothers. Semper Fi!

DSchmitke
06-12-03, 09:19 AM
Okinawa was great liberty as long as you had a car to travel the island. And headup to Camp Schwab or Camp Hansen for some Kobe steak. Also Atlantic Beach N.C. Johnny Dollar, Christy's, & the Jolly Roger at the Holiday Inn

firstsgtmike
06-12-03, 10:05 AM
Weekends are fun and nice, and if you party hearty, you'll be broke long before payday comes around again. A liberty port with port and starboard liberty is a three day orgy and a four day hangover.

Okinawa, 1960, one year unaccompanied tours for Fleet Marines. Upon arrival, we were restricted for three days, until indoctrination lectures by the Division CG, Chaplain, and Medical Officer.

Several of us were assigned to Division Schools at the "old" Camp Kinser in Chibana. The XO welcomed us aboard and gave his own indoctrination lecture.

In essence, he said that if we had no moral objections, to find a honey and a house and shack up for our entire tour. His reasons made sense. After the first week, if you didn't come down with a "social disease" and remained true blue to her, you were home free. "Ranchers" drank less, were hung over less, and were never UA because it was in her best interests to wake you and get you back to the base on time. Your uniforms were alwys squared away because she washed, starched, and ironed them, including spit shining boots and dress shoes.

$30 a month took care of the house, the girl, and basic food. $10 more spent at the commissary and you lived like a king. Three bucks a night at the club at Kadena and you had a t-bone steak dinner, live floor show, drinks, and dancing.

Is it any wonder about the number of Marines who choose to extend their tours on Okinawa? I spent 3 1/2 years there, with a six month mandatory break to return to CONUS, and reenlist with the guarantee of going back "home".

Sgt Sostand
06-12-03, 10:27 AM
Phillipines and Australia are my favorite liberty port

leroy8541
06-14-03, 08:46 AM
Since I was "station dito" in Subic Bay does it count? Perth was cool Pataya, Hong Kong, Singapore, Pohang, Pusan...... I can't choose, any time off the boat was great. Kinville? I would have to say my most memorable was the back porch at Marylynns in Subic city. Out on the barber chairs.

Subic76
06-15-03, 04:56 PM
WHAT. I read all three pages and nobody mentioned 29 Palms?

Just kidding. I'm kidding, stop throwing stuff at me.

This is a very good thread. I wanted to bump it.

So my vote of course is Subic Bay. I was "A" Co. Marine Bks. for 15 months ending Jan 77.

Subic

greybeard
06-16-03, 12:54 AM
Best-The JoLo Lounge-Olangapo.(except the night I got drunk & went home with the mama-san)
Close second-The Texas Bar in Pusan Korea.
Worst-anywhere in Havelock NC.

richgitz
06-16-03, 05:25 PM
I think the Olongapo's have it, I liked the little Brig they had just
before you cross the bridge to that place. It was empty when
you went on Liberty, and it was full of JARHEADS when you came
back. Did any one every the Monkey Meat they used to sell on
the street. I did and I liked it better than HAM & Mothers. Kin
Village would be my second pick, because I was stationed at Camp Hasen, with the 3rd Engr Bn. OOHH! to be young again.

ivalis
06-16-03, 08:03 PM
Isabella Segunda on Vieques, San Juan

Roberto T. Cast
06-17-03, 12:18 AM
Let see, Manila, Sidney Australia, (Kowloon Hong Kong - Twice). This were my destination of my R&Rs from Nam.

I say the best times of yesteryears were Sidney and Kowloon.

:banana: :banana:

leroy8541
06-18-03, 10:02 AM
T's Tavern AGO AGO"S

Barrio_rat
06-18-03, 11:18 AM
Hey! I know that girl!

LOL

Yeah, I remember T's Tavern... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Super Dave
06-18-03, 01:17 PM
The question in who DIDN'T know her!!

Barrio_rat
06-18-03, 02:05 PM
Hey... you're talkin about my #1 girl! She's a nice girl... LOL

Loved this PI conversation...

Marine 1: Hey, have you seen my girlfriend?

Marine 2: Dunno, what's she look like?

Marine 1: Ohhh, 'bout this tall, dark hair, brown eyes and dark complexion...

hehehehehehe

leroy8541
06-22-03, 10:45 AM
There was a taco stand right next door, Via's taco's. numm numm. Favorite monkey meat stand right outside the gate to the right can't remember the name of it. Old gal made the best Chicken legs in town. Night on the town Itenerary was to stop get 2 chicken legs, go to 168 order fried rice and a pitcher of mojo. got to T's for a while and chill, off to Rolling Stone's party hard, stagger back to Via's for a midnight snack. Load up got to Subic City to 3 holers, or the sweet sixteen, for massive orgies then to two wheelers to ride Richies Harley's till the Sun came up. Total amount of cash spent 20 bucks .
He had a '72 Flathead that was imacullant I loved that bike!!

Clicking heels together three times, I wanna go home, I wanna go home!!

mrbsox
06-22-03, 11:43 AM
Do What ???

" Night on the town Itenerary was to stop get 2 chicken legs, go to 168 order fried rice and a pitcher of mojo. got to T's for a while and chill, off to Rolling Stone's party hard, stagger back to Via's for a midnight snack. Load up got to Subic City to 3 holers, or the sweet sixteen, for massive orgies then to two wheelers to ride Richies Harley's till the Sun came up. "

Marshal law was in effect in 76/77. HAD to be off the streets by 2400, couldn't get back out till 0400. Hit the bars, drink 'San Miguel' till your bladder bursts :banana: Head to 'your girls' house, crash, she comes home from the bar and wears you out for awhile, you grab a few more Z's till the 'Jeep-nes' fire back up at 0400. Grab a ride back to the gate, Bus to base area, and in the rack in time for revelee.

Spend about $10, plus 30 or 40 for the MONTH, to keep your girl 'faithfull'..... at least till tomorrow :p

Ohhhhh.... the life of a 'young buck', with Lib-O and a pocket full of green backs.

No money.... No honey

Barrio_rat
06-22-03, 01:37 PM
I hear ya there, mrbsox.. I'd hit the bar, get drunk - my "girl" would give me the keys to her place, I'd take a nap from about 2300-0100, she'd show up... then give me a wake up. Needed them "power naps" at work all day so I could keep up with the libo!

Had another time, woke up in Subic - no ID and the jeepnes were known for not picking us up - I got lucky, one spot on a jeepne full of baskets of fish - and me with a hang over. That was not a fun ride. Showed up to the front gate and the guys says "hey, you look familiar" - I was puzzled until he showed me my ID card and said "look like anyone you know?" Did I ever get lucky that day! Was late for work (we had just arrived the night before) until a Lt came by and grabbed me up saying I needed to check in (the gunny had already checked us all in). When the gunny questioned me I told him, "How could I refuse a Lt who just told me to follow him?" hehehehe Got lucky two times in one day.

That's right - No money, no honey...
but dont forget...
I lub you no sh.t, buy your own pucking drink!

LOL

thedrifter
06-29-03, 08:46 AM
bumping for the new folks........

SF

Roger
:marine:

greensideout
04-18-04, 09:48 PM
bumping for namgrunt

namgrunt
04-18-04, 09:58 PM
GSO
Don't get me started or my message will look like one of those magaword "info-posts", with three or four pages of stuff. I never got to the Phillipines, or Australia, or Cambodia, or even Tijuana. I guess I have to ship over to hit those ports.

d c taveapont
04-18-04, 10:40 PM
The White Palace hotel st. the Point After. The Bare foot bar. The Attic. The Outrigger. Hawaii . Krazy Kats. cannes france. Red Banjo. Italy. While some of you were at Hawaii did you drink Primo beer. I had some Atlas Beer at Ft Sherman. Panama. And last The Beer Garden at Freedon Hill. and you know where this is...:banana:

tferg78
04-18-04, 11:57 PM
Give me good ole London, Piccadelly Circus.... exchange rates a ***** but the women are beautiful and their are plenty of American women that are trying to party just as hard as you... never had a lonely night in London...

namgrunt
04-19-04, 07:00 AM
*Honolulu, Hawaii: my first liberty port while aboard a troop transport going to Okinawa. Too expensive, but the scenery was magnificent. Nice landscape too.
*Any part of Okinawa: Honest folks, even when they were trying to gyp you. Not truly Japanese, as anyone on the four "home islands" would tell you. (snobs!)
*Taipei, Taiwan: my only R&R port. Big city living, with great night life, and beautiful women. I heard a songstress at a club, whose voice was softer, yet clearer than a bird in springtime. I didn't understand a word (Chinese), but was captivated by her tonal control. She didn't have to yell in order to "sing".
*Da Nang, RVN: lots of little boom-boom houses. The one drawback was caution necessary to keep from being surprised by unfriendly forces. Also the highest medical risk of all liberty spots I visited. Only place I got something the hospital corpsman had to be told about.

I was at other locations, like Guam, but not on Liberty, so they don't count.

DSchmitke
04-19-04, 07:44 AM
Okinawa can't remember the name of the restaurant outside of Camp Hansen. But it had the best kobe steak. And outside of Futuma was the Mongolian BBQ and then go down to the Surfcomber for a steam bath and beer.

radio relay
04-19-04, 09:16 AM
Well, I never had the pleasure of going on liberty from a troop ship, but did enjoy liberty in several other places.

Swooping to D.C. from Lejeune, was fun. I only did it once, but it was awesome seeing the nation's capital for the first time. Also, it was my first visit to the Iwo Jima Memorial. I was blown away!

The bars and cat houses in Da Nang were off limits, and big trouble if you got caught anyhere near one. However, the "steam and cream" massage parlor, on a small Army base off Hwy 1, just up from Marble Mountain was fun. 101st had a good one in Phu Bai, too.

Never forget R&R in Bangkok. Patpong Street, and the beautiful Thai girls... mmm mmm good.

On Okinawa, I enjoyed going into Henoko. Kinn Ville, was also fun. I often had a Kobe steak in that restaurant just across the street from the gate at Camp Hansen, too. Also, liked going into Naha with my little nesan girlfriends. Nago was fun, too, if you wanted to get a more authentic Japanese experience.

If you were fortunate enough to be stationed at MCRD San Diego (not as a boot, of course), Tijuana was always great for good old fashioned debauchery.

The absolute worst place for liberty was J-ville.

Ah... Them was they days.

SF :marine:

Super Dave
04-19-04, 09:49 AM
Palma De Mallorca, Spain....
21 days of fun and sun...

hack4398
04-19-04, 12:39 PM
Hands down--Phillipines :banana: No sleep lots of libo and we were there with a small detachment...the senior Marine was a Captain so we were livin large.

Man PI was all that.:p

locobrujo
04-19-04, 01:45 PM
Malaga, Spain

david43844
04-19-04, 04:15 PM
panama City Panama and Kingston jamaica Then Iwakuni japan

sgt.lane
04-19-04, 05:15 PM
P.I., Hong Kong and then Okinawa then T.J.

Dragon Air
04-19-04, 06:30 PM
1. Hong Kong 2. Perth, Australia 3. PI 4. Osan, Korea

reddog4950
04-19-04, 06:35 PM
Thailand was the best for R& R, lots of women , booze and other fun stuf at the time. I remember it being alomost like being back in the "World"

MAJMike
04-19-04, 07:07 PM
Bangkok - aptly named.

FREEBIRD
04-19-04, 08:45 PM
To me there was never a place like Olongapo, I lved it there, damm shame times and places change, never be like it was back in 60's and early 70's

FREEBIRD

HardJedi
04-19-04, 11:18 PM
hmmmm that's a toughie. PI was great, but at times so was agana guam. Heck, I had fun EVERYWHERE I went in the Corps. Guess i'd have to Go with PI though. After all, what you can get for a bag of M&M's and a beer! WHOO!:evilgrin:

cjwright90
04-20-04, 02:38 PM
Agana, Guam. Wow, oh wow. Loved that place. I especially was fond of hotel row. Lots of off nights partying there. Never made it to Olongopo. C130 lost an engine, so they decided three was not enough. Missed a Bangkok trip, to. Same reason, I believe. I had a fiance from Guam. Did not work out though.

outlaw3179
04-24-04, 02:40 PM
Phuket, Phuket , Phuket ......

wow! I miss that place and that loveley little girl.......

thedrifter
07-21-06, 12:42 AM
An old one but a good one...

I think this needs a BUMP>>>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Ellie

NamNuts
07-21-06, 11:24 AM
Any port in a storm! As long as there are Marine Bro's to get into trouble with
COuple Olongopo honies be good too...CHECK YOUR SHOT CARDS HEHEHE

outlaw3179
07-21-06, 11:48 AM
Another good one was Bali...the Sari Club before it blown up.

danjate1
07-21-06, 12:03 PM
you said it outlaw, Phucket & Bali - loved them both, but Townsville, Aus. was the best that little island just off the coast

outlaw3179
07-21-06, 01:29 PM
lol...I read your post and I thought to myself ..."this guys sounds like he was with 2/1 " lol....nice seeing you again man .

danjate1
07-21-06, 01:33 PM
remember that bar fight in U.A.E. cleared out the whloe E club, that one was crazy!

outlaw3179
07-21-06, 02:35 PM
lol..."The Proffesionals" :)

tkmac58
07-21-06, 03:16 PM
Hell!!!! I got stuck in MCAS Yuma Arizona the for most of the time I was in. Wasn't able to transfer out. the most exotic I got was the 2 months I spent in MCAS El Toro!
Yuma was good for a hot assed desert, snow bird town. That was one of my many liberty places, it doesnt rank with the far east or the med but its good for the US of A. I was probably there when you were, back than it was mostly US citizens and the drinking age was 19, of course you could drink with a green AFID card anywhere on base. Yuma was a hidden secret back than to the FMF, except for the Airwing, they tore that place apart when they came in for WTI. The bars were friendly to us, especially the woman, I know because I knew enough of them, cant remember there names anymore but I can sure remember the experience. A couple clubs were the Back Room and Saddle club, which was 3 bars in one. (country, hair band rock, and a pool room for losers). Then there was "Johnny's Other Place", I am very fond of because I dated all the female staff, there was another one which was torn down in early 1982 right outside the gate, it was a pick up, with college girls from AWC. It had drown night, $5.00 dollar high night, and down for double night. This was an alcoholics dream back than and a nightmare for M.A.A.D. Of course these are all outlawed now. If anyone can remember the name of that bar I would be grateful. The F-4s and A-4s used to **** it up when they flew over it so the Marine Corps and the City agreed to tear it down and re-zone the flight path. And I cant close this without mentioning the most famous bar or ****hole in Yuma, "Reds Place" in Winterhaven Cali, just across the bridge in Cali, it was a ****hole, **** in the sink, etc.. but it didnt close until 0200 AM and Yuma closed at 0100, and with daylight savings and Arizona not changing at all, it was another 2 hours of getting wasted. And the woman who showed up there were ready to do whatever. It was just one story I had to share. There are many more stories and libo ports that I could about, but I would probably go to jail.

Life has been good as long as I am a MARINE>

TKMAC58

Stanley Hroszow
07-21-06, 04:35 PM
Sydney Australia and Naples, when I went to Naples there was an 83 year old special Lady. Who used to greet the American ships, and Men as they came a shore, In Italy, The taxi drivers were crazy, traveling arround as fast as they could go, and squeeze in between bridges, other cars, and trucks, with very little room, and make with any damage to their cars, but not to me.

Ed Palmer
07-21-06, 05:11 PM
TKMAC58
Your in my stomping grounds
My ex son inlaw works for Freightliner Trucks on north Broadway and My brother inlaw Clayton Fairchilds he and his wife LillyBelle have a bar or card room what ever you want to call it in Winterhaven Calif, called Coles Cornor they ve been there for about thirty years.
and you have probaly been to my brothers place there in wichita
MY My what a small world

Semper Fi

Ed

tkmac58
07-21-06, 06:09 PM
TKMAC58
Your in my stomping grounds
My ex son inlaw works for Freightliner Trucks on north Broadway and My brother inlaw Clayton Fairchilds he and his wife LillyBelle have a bar or card room what ever you want to call it in Winterhaven Calif, called Coles Cornor they ve been there for about thirty years.
and you have probaly been to my brothers place there in wichita
MY My what a small world

Semper Fi

Ed
Ed

Good to hear from you, Freightliner on Broadway is shut down, we consolidated it with our West Street location. Whats his name? I been with them for 10 months since I retired from the Corps. What did you say the name of the card room was. I dont get around as much as I used to but I am sure I have been there or know of it.

TKMAC58

Ed Palmer
07-21-06, 06:31 PM
The card room was Coles Cornor thats the name.
Son inlaw is J D
Welcome to Wichita

peepaw
07-21-06, 07:00 PM
Best Liberty was the Med. Made a Med Cruise in 72 and each port was a blast. Barcelona Spain was supper:marine:

chafas2531
07-21-06, 07:43 PM
:marine: Brother you said a mouthful. Sgt. Rock and I were both there with "M" Co 31st MAU in 75. We both rubbed shoulders and did not even know about until we hooked up here. Definitely great around 2355 on Magsaysay Drive. Remember the big ovens with fresh Pan de sal? The filipinas on the other side selling their monkey on a stick. Those who were at Camp Hansen perhaps may remember some gal band coming to Kinville. well they were from one of the Western Clubs in Olongapo, I believe #2. This was the one near Bajac-Bajac or the Sierra Club. Man, great times and memories! For me PI was the best. The wife and I are still traveling but I am not young anymore and we are on another mission. Take care Devil Dogs!
:usmc: SEMPER FIDELIS!
ben

WHAT. I read all three pages and nobody mentioned 29 Palms?

Just kidding. I'm kidding, stop throwing stuff at me.

This is a very good thread. I wanted to bump it.

So my vote of course is Subic Bay. I was "A" Co. Marine Bks. for 15 months ending Jan 77.

Subic

fontman
07-21-06, 07:45 PM
For me, 4400 Dauphine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana circa 1984-87.

:yes:

10thzodiac
07-21-06, 08:33 PM
The "Rock", '63-65 , I liked it so much I extended my 4 year hitch 9 more months for another 13 months there. Anywhere in Japan!

I liked it there so much, as a civilian I've been back there more times than I can remember.

Just came back from Japan May 1st; 26 days Japan, 4 days Beijing, PRC. Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Kagoshima, Tokunoshima, Okinawa: 4 corners, BC Street Koza (now Okinawa City), Naha, Futenma and Jagaru.

Next year back to Gotenba City (Mt. Fuji) then off to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Also like the Japanese Alps (skiing) Mt. Tatayama

Japan is expensive now, it's not for the faint of heart, $250 for a taxi between the two airports in Tokyo, an extra large *Dominoes Pizza one topping $30.

*For those of you who do not know, a former Marine started Dominoes Pizza

fontman
07-21-06, 08:40 PM
And for those not in the know, the Domino's aboard Camp Lejeune makes more pizzas per day than any other in the world!

Food for thought...

Now, where's my pizza, Eleanor?

:beer:

thedrifter
07-21-06, 08:45 PM
Don't bend over too far tonight Marky;) :D

Ellie

marinecorpsvet
12-24-06, 02:24 PM
Camp Henoko, only a company of the Corps finest Ammo Techs. Wasn't much to look at, but we kept the place spotless.
Had a chow Hall that had the best chow north of Kadena.
Barracks sucked, leaked water, had partitions, not rooms, no AC, heat was minimal in the winter.
Club was 30 x 30, sticky floor, had a weird damn odor all the time, kinda like Formula 409 and stale beer.
Hated it? Naw.....

KJ1110
12-24-06, 02:48 PM
Hong Kong!:thumbup:

TazMatt
12-24-06, 05:48 PM
Okinawa was one of my favorite spots for liberty.As someone said earlier that if you had a liscence that you could go anywhere on the island and have fun. A couple of buddies and I would rent a car every payday and go to Kadena and down to to Koza Street and then other times I would rent one and go into the northern part of the island and was able to see the people in a different point of view. I was also the section driver for my company and spent many a day just going all over the island picking up different things for my Lt. who would just ride looking for things to send back home. Kin vill was a good place just for liberty every night and the food was good . I have pictures of the girl band that was mentioned in one of the earlier post. They were pretty good and looked good also ,or maybe that was the Orion beer looking at them.

griffinrandal
12-24-06, 08:11 PM
don;t forget oceanside,ca. down on whisper alley,in the80,s

rb1651
12-25-06, 10:00 AM
Iwakuni, Japan at Charlie Browns. The bar was owned by a Marine who stayed when his enlistment was up. He definitely knew how to take care of us!!! Oh, the rainbows I quaffed there. Fun times.

taman8tor
12-26-06, 09:05 PM
I'd have to pick PI as number one. Olongapo for the beer, broads, and music. I remember one band, the Frictions (an ensemble of musicians) that could play pretty much any rock song (i'd suppose country music as well) out at the time. Martial Law was a pain but as others have mentioned, the delicious pandesol scent and taste (freshly baked bread) made the walk down Magsaysay and across **** River a bit more pleasant. On base, the Sky Club was pretty nice too. San Miguel is still a pretty solid beer.

FistFu68
12-26-06, 09:26 PM
:evilgrin: THE WHITE ELEPHANT,HUE CITY;RVN!BEAU~COU~BOOM~BOOM,ALL NITE LONG~RND.EYE TOO!!! SEMPER~BOOM~BOOM :devious:

Zulu 36
12-26-06, 09:43 PM
I really liked Okinawa before the Japanese got it back. I was there on May 15, 1972 when it was transferred over. On May 19, 1972 I was in Vietnam. Oh well.

I still liked Okinawa my second time there in 1974-75.

Bangkok, Thailand was a lot of fun too during my Vietnam R&R in 1972.

Quinbo
12-26-06, 09:54 PM
I'd have to pick PI as number one. Olongapo for the beer, broads, and music. I remember one band, the Frictions (an ensemble of musicians) that could play pretty much any rock song (i'd suppose country music as well) out at the time. Martial Law was a pain but as others have mentioned, the delicious pandesol scent and taste (freshly baked bread) made the walk down Magsaysay and across **** River a bit more pleasant. On base, the Sky Club was pretty nice too. San Miguel is still a pretty solid beer.

If you pay attention when watchin full metal jacket you will recognize the square in Olongapo City ..... they replaced the statue with a traffic cop for the movie but there is no doubt and every time I see it could almost give a guided tour. Right about on the corner where the guy gets his camera stolen was some of the best food a fellar could buy anywhere and they might throw in a free Red Horse if you gave the bottle back.

I think my favorite liberty port had to be Perth Austrailia ..... when that big ole boat pulled in; the docks were lined with girls holding up signs that said "WE LOVE YOU U.S. MARINES". Wooo Hoo. Yup it was cool for sure.

drumcorpssnare
12-27-06, 11:37 AM
The Rose & Crown Pub- King's Alley, Waikiki, Hawaii. Many a fond memory there. Also was known to view the ladies at the "Hubba Hubba Club" on Hotel St. in Honolulu, from time to time.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

jebollenbach
12-27-06, 01:39 PM
If you have evr been to the Med, Lisbon Portugal is a great port until they ask you to leave for starting a riot.

rocktowest
12-31-06, 06:23 AM
Palma de Mallorca, Spain was GREAT!! I sent 21 days there Christmas and New Years of 85 going into 86. I don't remember everything about every night, but I know I had a blast.

Super Dave -- Amen to that. I was on a Med float pump with the 24th MEU 91 going into 92. The CO of the Inchon was a "liberty hound" and Palma was one of our first stops. We spent about 2.5 weeks there.

10thzodiac
01-04-07, 01:01 PM
Mine was location over port of call.

After the missile crisis of '62 cooled down, my artillery battery was dug in by the beach behind Mainside Guantanamo. Even though it was in the field instead of garrison, I really enjoyed snorkeling and spear-fishing in our own private unspoiled Caribbean cove. (bought equipment Gitmo P-X)

No women http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/02.gif just a hundred or so Bare Ass Marines at the beach having the time of our life 24/7 on the tax-payers dime and getting paid for it ! Eventually took up Scuba Diving and would love to go back to Cuba diving.

SF
10thzodiac

drumcorpssnare
01-04-07, 01:08 PM
10thz- I just have to mess with you, man. I would have thought your favorite liberty would have been "Lala Land"!!!:D

Glad you got to have some fun on Uncle Sam's dime!
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

10thzodiac
01-04-07, 01:26 PM
10thz- I just have to mess with you, man. I would have thought your favorite liberty would have been "Lala Land"!!!:D

Glad you got to have some fun on Uncle Sam's dime!
drumcorpssnare

It was Lala Land, when I wasn't on Cloud Nine !

We had one hell of a time, the cook was afraid to cook all the fish that we were spearing. He didn't know which ones were poisonous or not.

We were swimming with barracudas and tiger sharks all over the place, lucky nobody got bit. What ruined it at the end, was one of the guys broke his ear-drum diving. It was getting too cold to swim anyways, end of November.
We were going through the Panama Canal December 1st on the USS Iwo Jima. It was so crowded with troops, my comm section wound up with the sailors. I got sick off the coast of Mexico in a storm http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/26.gif, the funny part was, I couldn't even feel the carrier rocking or that I was even experiencing sea-sickness. Must of been something I ate in Panama http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/03.gif.

bob3628
01-04-07, 01:26 PM
wasn't really a liberty port since we were there for almost 3 months, but definitely Okinawa.

jerryk
01-04-07, 01:54 PM
well to me ,the best was when i got to come home on what little leave i got i called that liberty

10thzodiac
01-04-07, 01:55 PM
wasn't really a liberty port since we were there for almost 3 months, but definitely Okinawa.

I was there two tours back-to-back, the 1st Sergeant thought I was crazy when I first asked to do it and ran me out of the office; we were in a severe drought, no fresh water showers '63, salt water. I went to my Comm O, he was my CO too and he trumped the Shirt for me ! March of 63 - March -65.

My wife is from an island one day North of there by steam ship. I been back to Okinawa as a civilian about 6-8 times, including '06 and going back again this year I hope.

In the first calender quarter into April you can fly from Osaka RT to Naha Okinawa for about $250 with international tickets, avoid summer around August $$$, school is out ! Given the choice, choose Osaka not Tokyo for your departure city to Okinawa otherwise it will be an extra $250, as you'll have to make an extra stop at Kagoshima before going on to Okinawa.

I like Tokyo (Main Island) the best, one hell of a lot more to do ! Bring plenty of Yen http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/34.gif

bob3628
01-04-07, 06:39 PM
I bet it's probably changed so much I wouldn't recgognize it. We were at Camp Schwab and spent most of our time in a little village just outside the gate (can't remember the name) and down in Kin ? village. Schwab was "civilized" by the end of '66, not a bad base.

BigPhil
01-04-07, 07:02 PM
Best for me was Olongapo City, Was stationed at Marine Barracks Subic Bay
Brig Section 64/66

sgt tony
01-04-07, 09:31 PM
PI, Olongapo, Subic City, Hong Kong, Singapore and Kin Vill at the Silver Spur

buzliteyear
01-06-07, 07:58 PM
Best "libo" port? Benidorm,Spain! then maybe Bankok, Thailand, Sidney, Australia.The Phillipines, nice but way over rated. But hey that's my opinion.

Ceya
01-06-07, 11:09 PM
I bet it's probably changed so much I wouldn't recgognize it. We were at Camp Schwab and spent most of our time in a little village just outside the gate (can't remember the name) and down in Kin ? village. Schwab was "civilized" by the end of '66, not a bad base.

The town is Honoko and Kin Vill outside of Camp Hansen (CTA).

S/F,
CEYA!

usmc rick
01-07-07, 12:48 AM
I recently looked back through a photo album of some of my USMC pictures. As I flipped through the pages I began to remember a lot of the good times I had while on liberty or leave. I thought we all might enjoy a trip down memory lane and I am asking for some of your favorite liberty ports/locations. I'll tell you my favorite was P.I., and for those who may not know, it doesn't stand for Parris Island!

Dude,, your right,, how bout them LBFM's as we called them .

capmarine
01-07-07, 11:22 AM
my home

devilmutt
01-08-07, 03:49 AM
Nickle beer, and cheap tattoos in the P.I.

Lancecorporal
01-10-07, 03:24 PM
Well there's no place like home. I loved San Diego, Ca. Going out to the Gas lamp district. Nothing like spending some time out in town before the west pac, or OIF deployment. (USS Belleau Wood, and USS Bon Homme Richard.)

kato811
01-17-07, 09:21 PM
Haifa

Jojosdad
01-19-07, 02:53 AM
Brisbane,Australia 1980-
If I remember correctly we were the first American naval vessel to pull in to Brisbane since Vietnam. The town hosted the Marine Corps Ball for us and treated us like royalty.
Olongopo is definitely a close second.

bootlace15
02-19-07, 11:40 PM
St Albans Naval Hospital.. It was the only liberty I got,and it lasted a year.
Oh my,what a year.

bootlace15 out

FistFu68
02-20-07, 12:28 AM
:evilgrin: DOING ALL THE(FEMALE) NURSES(AIR FORCE)(NAVY) A GREAT MORALE BOOST:evilgrin:S/F THAT MEN!!!!GUNG-HO!!!!:iwo:

wpdleo
03-16-07, 12:27 AM
Singapore;)

FREEBIRD
03-16-07, 10:44 AM
I was Stationed in Iwakuni Japan 2 times, loved every minute of it, was in for 8 years and traveled alot, the best place I ever been was good old Cubi Point,
I spent a lot of time at White Rock Beach, and the rest in Olongapo, threw a many of A-4 tire washers in Sh!t river just to watch them dive and cuss. No centavo's for you today my friends!!! LOL
$1.00 US could get you 15 peso's and 50 centavo's, San miguel beer was 50 centavo's each when the carriers were not in port, then they would go up to a peso each, but under normal times you could get 15 cold San Miguels for $1.00, bottom line is for $5.00 you could get drunk, and get any thing else to last the entire night.........only those who have been there know........I was there in late 70, early 71

FREEBIRD

semperfi170
03-16-07, 12:23 PM
Stationed in Millington twice, both times enjoyed liberty there, NC beaches were great when stationed at Cherry Pit, the college girls from that state could sure party and seemed to like Marines better than those other milltary guys back in 69. Hong Kong, Olongapo, Baguio, Osan, Taipei, and even Jacksonville, FL. Number one favorite still has to be Olongapo. Any of you ever to the 3rd floor of Marilyn's for entertainment? Remember the beer drinking monkey and the girls table dancing. If saw a squid bring his wife in and she table danced after watching the P.I. girls do it with a beer bottle.:) :evilgrin:

jetdawgg
03-27-07, 11:45 AM
Charlotte Amalie Virgin Islands 1982:bunny: :bunny: :D

a3recon
03-28-07, 07:49 AM
Bangkok without a doubt. In 1962 we were still treated as saviour's.

SSgt Blue
05-05-07, 07:25 PM
Well as we sepak, I'm in Thailland, and it by far the best ....... Down in Hua Hin..... I love the Marines Corps, and thay think I'm going to work. Ha

loumueller
05-08-07, 07:56 AM
Bankok, with PI a very close second. Semper Fi

Rowdy1948
05-08-07, 09:37 AM
I would have to say Athens Greese.

5thmarine
05-09-07, 01:54 AM
Paradise Island!! Olongapo, Philippines :beer:
crossing sh*t river into Olongapo after a taxi ride from Camp Tamez
crossing sh*t river in the a.m. and seeing all the others come back to life!!;)

lucien2
05-12-07, 11:04 AM
Subic Bay, Liverpool, Portsmouth, in that order!

0351jay
05-14-07, 04:12 PM
T's and Dynamite Jack in the P.I., Thialand was also great as weel as Perth. Maaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn the memoeries of those places.

ThreeOneVet
05-22-07, 08:11 AM
A tie between the Seychelles and Phuket Thailand....cheap unending beer supply....lots of water and sun and palms.

Sgt D
05-25-07, 07:39 PM
1. Bogota, Colombia 2. Bangkok, Thailand 3. Gold Coast Australia

:beer:

miller4546
06-02-07, 10:14 AM
first, hi all new to group. served 10 years in the corps.
been around the world 2 times.

i enjoyed haifa, israel..... women were hot adn they had guns.. can't beat that.
australian women, were goddesses. and wanted every american man....

greek, and meditteranian, women were easy and hot, but, you can't beat the USA, and the good home cooking............
but i enjoyed every minute of my travels, and would never change anything.
still got the pics, and if i ever forget, i just look back...

LCPLE3
06-06-07, 01:21 PM
Jacksonville,NC!!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/lcple3/ken11.jpg

sparkie
06-26-07, 09:58 AM
PI gets my vote. Was there when Marcos took over, after that it wasn,t the same.Alot of the fun died down when he shot most of the Hucks.Still, it was cheap to hire a 14 yr old local with a shotgun to watch your back all nite. and occasionally you would loose someone in the alley for a watch and wallet.
I guess TJ came in second.

Jim Borgman
06-26-07, 07:29 PM
Livorno, Italy and Nice, France stand a tie. Both were great.

buzliteyear
06-27-07, 09:14 AM
With out a doubt my favorite in order were, Pattia beach, Thailand, Barcelonia, Spain, and Angele's City, Phillipines, now there were others that were fun but for me those two did it. Spent 4 years in hawaii that was fun to.:marine:

sgt8089
06-29-07, 10:13 PM
I Had a great time in hiafa isreal , but Angles City P.I. is a book of it's own

Subic76
06-30-07, 05:39 AM
Been four years since my last post on this thread, so I will post on it again.
I still vote the Philippines.:thumbup:

http://www.msdsite.com/photopost/data/530/Anita1.jpg

jetdoc
07-02-07, 06:49 AM
I've seen several posts about Israel and I've heard the same. I have a ex-Navy buddy at work and he has been to Israel several times and says the women there are freaken hot. He did say though that he would see a smoking hot chick walking down the beach and when you'd get closer you would see "bozo puff's" coming out from her bikini bottom, (bush hair)...yikes, thats a major turnoff.

Never have been to Europe but I'd love to go...has to be a blast.

South America with their hot booty babes would be another choice of mine, I like the big booty.

Now for where I've had the most fun...well I loved the Philippines, but not just for the party scene but for the snorkling I did there...beautiful waters.

Midway Island was a blast too, believe it or not....I dunno, I loved all the places I went to for the most part, so the list would be long.

Manymoonsago
07-25-07, 01:04 PM
Had a blast in Okinawa and Korea, but Olongapo, Philippines has to be the number 1 spot! :yes: :) :yes:

Remember "I love you no **** Joe, you buy me helicopter?"

I can't remember the name now but there was also a little "Wild West" town near Olongopo that was off-limits. You had to go there in groups because it was so wild. Very inexpensive but very dangerous. San Marcelino? It was San something but I can't remember what. You didn't have to worry about Shore Patrol but you wanted to stay on the good side of the P.C.

There were also a couple of off-limits bars in Okinawa we went to but they were off-limits because of the sanitary conditions and were pretty tame.

dukesix
08-07-07, 08:44 PM
Subic Bay, hands down! We really screwed up when that place was closed down. You could be a man without somebody running out and telling on you.

Dukesix

sparkie
08-07-07, 08:46 PM
Sorry, all of you,. My best port? Home with my wife. It ment I was still alive.

Goose
08-08-07, 06:35 AM
Mine was Cork ireland, Kissed the Blarney Stone and everything. Went on Libo from Keflavik Iceland for 2 weeks. Loved every min. of it. I still want to go back. I was there in 1986.

gutinstinct
10-29-07, 09:13 PM
olongapo City !!!!

HardJedi
10-29-07, 09:21 PM
anywhere there was a willing woman!:banana: :thumbup:

NamNuts
10-29-07, 09:28 PM
A pallet a 33's, bottle of Nika witskey, Akadama wine and a few whacky Marine Bros...maybe little ssssssssssterno for back LMMFAO

PaPaWolfUSMC
11-05-07, 08:43 PM
I was part of SNOWFEX-64, a NATO exercise taking place in Norway. The first place we went was VOSS, NorwaY, A town that circled the base. We were allowed to take liberty in utilties(if we skied into town, we all did), an spent many happy nights teaching the locals to "speak english".

:flag::thumbup::flag:

jerryd6818
11-06-07, 11:58 AM
Any port of call after 1630, except Rota Spain.

Las Palamas, Canary Islands was a hoot. Even T-Town was good as long as you wore a raincoat. Taipei, Taiwan was medicore but better than Da Nang. Juarez, Mexico was good, cheap and a hell of a lot safer than T-Town. A big thumbs up for San Juan, PR. I had one night in Okinawa on the way home and loved it (her).

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

NamNuts
11-06-07, 01:05 PM
Ahhh rosie's bar n grill in downtown danang wit me bro Mines...hehehehe

YES ole Naha, on Oki on the suicide cliffs with a bottle of Nika whitskey all fooked up and hanging over the edge wit them lil ryouki cops screamin crazy Marine get down mofos, go play in the NON "A" sign bar...hehehe LMMFAO

killerinstinct
11-06-07, 01:57 PM
Guam The Bar Wher Eyou Can Finger Paint Naked Ladies

Sean1046
11-06-07, 04:16 PM
PI is something I will never forget...maybe because of the shots afterwards. West Pac Marines know this as truth; Perth, Australia. :marine: Those who've been know, those who haven't must learn

renegadeintn
11-11-07, 10:55 AM
I was stationed in the PI at B Co. Marine Barracks so I went to Olongapo a lot. I had a lot of fun during my 18 months there.I went to Angeles City, Subic City and Barrio Baretto a few times. Then I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and went to Oceanside, Vista and Carlsbad a lot. I did a unit deployment and went to Okinawa and Korea. Kin Ville was ok, but nothing compared to Olongapo. In Korea Po Hang was a lot of fun. I drank a lot of OB beer and soju.

Top Caplinger
11-15-07, 12:47 AM
I was in Hawaii 82-84 and did two WestPacs from there. Had liberty in the Philippines, Korea, Australia, Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong. As a young Marine, the PI had to be the best. We are not serving here as missionaries.

After Hawaii I went on Embassy Duty in Rangoon, Burma (where I met my wife) and Bangkok, Thailand. Catherine's parents worked at the French Embassy in Burma and were subsequently stationed in Bangkok. I also ended up there. They rented a townhouse in Pattaya, which Catherine and I would frequent on my days off.

We also spent 9 years in Okinawa.

Big Jim
11-15-07, 02:49 AM
I remember Okinawa, Naha, Kokosai St, the "Stage", I remember Korea in Pohang, Pusan and Inchon and outside Osan Air Base. I remember Olongopo City and a bar called Jack Daniels just outside the Mariposa and Angeles City, too! I remember Bangkok and Patio Beach and Australia in Darwin and Darby. BUt I think what I remember the most in detail was Rota, Spain and Mildenhall Air Force Base in England...they treated us like kings after coming out of the desert in April of 91. They gave everything we wanted including things we didn't ask for...but didn't know we wanted! It was a great homecoming. I wouldn't change a thing.

broaddusmarines
11-25-07, 05:28 PM
Any port of call after 1630, except Rota Spain......

Jerry D.

Yeah, Rota did blow. I liked Barcelona, Spain and Cannes France. Other than that most of the ports on my Med Float were plain and dry.

You guys on the West side had the fun float (westpac) while us LeJeune got stuck with a boring Med Float. :cry:

Crusader20
11-29-07, 04:45 PM
Special MAGTAF for Haiti in 1994. We pulled into Nassua Bahamas in March of that year. SPRING BREAK!!!!

THe sority house Thighs Full-a Pies were there!!! :O Some say i had a Great Time. ;)

Never paid for one drink. But was drunk for three days.

Last day i was on Shore patrol. The XO and I went Room by Room at the hotels to get the Marines out of them to send them back to the ship. Lots of broke hearts on that trip.

Rhodes Greese was a close second. DIfferent Story. :)

Dave Coup
11-29-07, 07:12 PM
R&R in Taipei Taiwan, Best Chinese pus...er food I ever did taste vintage 1968.:bunny:

03SGT
12-04-07, 06:55 AM
This brings some great memories of the "5 Star" club in downtown Panama. If any one that served in Panama is reading this, keep it to yourself, I still owe Rosie about 10 Colons.

AlabamaRon
12-04-07, 04:18 PM
Let me introduce myself, I was the proprietor of the Ponderosa in
Chibana in 1963-1964. My friends called me "Ben Cartwright" because of my ranching. T'was a wonderful time.
Duty station was Camp Hague across from Kinser. I extended only to
end up down south when the s*** hit the fan.

quote=firstsgtmike]Weekends are fun and nice, and if you party hearty, you'll be broke long before payday comes around again. A liberty port with port and starboard liberty is a three day orgy and a four day hangover.

Okinawa, 1960, one year unaccompanied tours for Fleet Marines. Upon arrival, we were restricted for three days, until indoctrination lectures by the Division CG, Chaplain, and Medical Officer.

Several of us were assigned to Division Schools at the "old" Camp Kinser in Chibana. The XO welcomed us aboard and gave his own indoctrination lecture.

In essence, he said that if we had no moral objections, to find a honey and a house and shack up for our entire tour. His reasons made sense. After the first week, if you didn't come down with a "social disease" and remained true blue to her, you were home free. "Ranchers" drank less, were hung over less, and were never UA because it was in her best interests to wake you and get you back to the base on time. Your uniforms were alwys squared away because she washed, starched, and ironed them, including spit shining boots and dress shoes.

$30 a month took care of the house, the girl, and basic food. $10 more spent at the commissary and you lived like a king. Three bucks a night at the club at Kadena and you had a t-bone steak dinner, live floor show, drinks, and dancing.

Is it any wonder about the number of Marines who choose to extend their tours on Okinawa? I spent 3 1/2 years there, with a six month mandatory break to return to CONUS, and reenlist with the guarantee of going back "home".[/quote]

gamera99
12-12-07, 08:28 AM
My favorite liberty port was Hong Kong, Kowloon side. I went to the Bottoms Up Club which as in the 007 film Man WT Golden Gun. My second favorite liberty was, lessee...I guess Olongapo, Philippines. Also Singapore.

sgtrock1970
12-12-07, 08:37 AM
Bangkok- The Happy-Happy social club, HEH,HEH and the Honey-Honey hotel

1-1Heavygunner
12-21-07, 02:23 PM
Bali, Bali, Bali

1-1Heavygunner
12-21-07, 02:24 PM
gotta be Pattia Beach, Thailand..... those of you that were there I dont have to explain. Those of you that weren't,well, it would be illegal to explain.:cool: :cool:
I did Phuket twice. I tip a Singha to you, buddy

1-1Heavygunner
12-21-07, 02:27 PM
Let's see...

Sounds like you were in 1st Marines. Gerbil Alley, yay. At least when we there, they brought restaurants in on trailers. Hardees, Pizza Inn, and $1 beer. Good times. We went to Bahrain and had pizza and white Russians made out of powdered milk. Yum

colt59
12-25-07, 04:09 PM
Nicest place was Bergen Norway. We were the first Navy ship to port there since WW2. They treated us like kings. We in turn, being young Marines, busted the town up. We could still do no wrong. Wonderful people.

St Thomas was great too. A drinkers paradise. Can of beer was cheaper than a can of Coke. They had beer machines in the USO. We were in town at the same time as the carrier Independence. Talk about packed. The beer in the machines didn't have time to get cold!! The old ladies running the place didn't have a chance. Bars were great. Half gallon of rum was $3 and you could drink on the sidewalk. Lots of friendly women, of course it meant $$$.

Plymouth England was fun, but dangerous. Big military town and they don't take no ****. Got my USMC tattoo finished there. Got it started in Jacksonville on Court Street.

Court Street in Jacksonville NC (not quite the worst, but close). I went there last year during my vacation. It's Gone!!

The worst is Watertown New York in December.

dave2935
12-31-07, 03:57 PM
I've read about five pages, lots of exotic locales. But nobody mentioned good ol' Washington, D.C. Has it changed that much? I was stationed in Portsmouth, Va. and caught a bus to D.C. I walked into a bar on Pennsylvania Ave. I had a drink in front of me before I could sit down. They said the women outnumbered the men 14 to 1, during the week, it maybe dropped to 10 to 1 on weekends.
Had some great times there, only New York was better.
Semper Fi.

Richman
01-02-08, 12:02 AM
Okinawa can't remember the name of the restaurant outside of Camp Hansen. But it had the best kobe steak. And outside of Futuma was the Mongolian BBQ and then go down to the Surfcomber for a steam bath and beer.

My friend owned the Surfcomber. Renamed it Desperados. Second floor was a disco and the third floor was a small bar and steam bath.

I used to play pool almost every night in Desperados.

M240Ggunner
01-02-08, 01:36 PM
Phucket, Thailand.

The Playschool. Something about a chick with a number pinned on her bra...

And the dollar to bot ratio was great! 42:$1 I still have an ATM receipt that says I had half a million in the bank.

1-1Heavygunner
01-02-08, 03:22 PM
Phucket, Thailand.

The Playschool. Something about a chick with a number pinned on her bra...

And the dollar to bot ratio was great! 42:$1 I still have an ATM receipt that says I had half a million in the bank.

Both of my trips to Phuket were great. Not sure which bar was the Playschool. One of the bars featured a young lady popping ballons by shooting darts out of....

M240Ggunner
01-03-08, 10:15 AM
That was the Pink Pather, right next door to the Playschool.

1-1Heavygunner
01-03-08, 10:53 AM
You're all over it, brother. I tip a Singha to you.

BOWINKLE
01-03-08, 11:03 AM
Well, I Would Have To Say. Singapore First Then, Phillipines. But One Of The Rarest Scenes That I Will Always Remember . Is While On A Float The Uss Tulare In 1973 . While Our Ship Along With The Seveth Fleet Was Cruising Between China And Tiawan In The Straits Of Formosa. It Was About 0300 Hours In The Morning And I Was Asleep In My Top Bunk Which By The Way Was The Four One Up, I Awoke From My Sleep, And Found That Their Was A Strange Hush Over The Ship And We Have Stopped In The Middle Of A Very Dark Sea . It Seemed Like A Calm And Peace That I Have Never Felt Before, But I Climbed Down Out Of My Bunk And Headed Up Top To The Deck.

Well, To My Eye A Wounder That I Could Hardy Take In There Was Our Us Navy And All It Great Power Stopped Dead In The Water. And All I Could See Was These Little Lights Shining All Around Us And It Looked As If There Was About A Thousand Little Lights Shining About 10 To 15 Feet Up Off The Ocean Surface And Reflecting Onto The The Top Of The Water.
As Far As You Could See They Were Everywhere Around Us. We Set Motion-less In The Water For About 20 Minutes Till We Got Permission To Continue On Our Route Heading South Towards Hong Kong, And Viet-nam.
Here Is The Kicker And What My Eyes Beheld That Night And Is A Sight That Will Always Be Burnd Into My Mind Forever.
The Lights Were Chinese Lantruans , And They Were All Hanging At The Fan-tail Of Every Little Fishing Boat Called Junks And The Boats All Were About 20-25 Feet Long And They Were About Twenty Yards Spaced Between Them. They From What I Could Figure Was From The Word That Came Down From The Captians Pilot House, Fishing For Flounder That Were Running Through The Formosa Strait And This Is A Event That Happens Twice A Year In The Formosa Sea.
We Of Course Did Start Back On Course And The Heading We Was On South. We Had To Wait Till These Fishing Junks Made A Hole For Us To Manuver Through, At Which Was A Snail Pace Till We Reach The Other Side A The Fishing Junks I Watched From The Top Deck As We Slowly Past Through And Watch A Sight That Was To Behold...

And Me Without My Camera Phone...

Sgt.r.n.davis Usmc...1973

M240Ggunner
01-03-08, 11:03 AM
Sure you don't want a Tiger? or maybe a shot of Thai whiskey?

Dave Coup
01-03-08, 02:25 PM
:D <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Not my favorite liberty port but who remembers Speedo's, Eight Ball, and The Rathskeller on Court St. J'Ville NC?:beer: </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

NamNuts
01-03-08, 03:10 PM
:D <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Not my favorite liberty port but who remembers Speedo's, Eight Ball, and The Rathskeller on Court St. J'Ville NC?:beer: </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Ya and after we staggered...from those joints, we staggered over for chow to the little greasy spoon next to or close to the USO on that side street....I remember the owners daughter at the till, Rosie(sweet young thang). Momma always standing guard in the back of the joint watching every swining dick!
Till that wild ass Joe Piazza Bulk Fuel mofo tried putting the moves on the one waitress got us 86!

After that we found a bar out towards New River....can't remember where exactly..? But dats another liberty call...LMAO
AND the last liberty call....throwing chicken bones out the window of my POV on the ride from the main gate to mainside....holy o ****...hitting the Generals car with them bones....BRIGG TIME, loss of civilian and military license(s) and OFF to RVN

sgt.r.n.davis
01-03-08, 09:44 PM
read bowinkle's message...signed sgt.r.n.davis...1973...

nsfdmedic
01-08-08, 05:09 AM
you guys remember liberty, not me, not as long as i want to stay happily married. i've always said i sat in the barracks and read bible verses. no idea why i sounded drunk when i called, or how i got that tat....... although there was the club new york in kinville. lol

William W Pence
01-09-08, 01:38 PM
Don't know if I spell it correctly or not..but Kaoinsung.formosa,Now Taiwan,the black cat bar also e club with nickel beers and 10 cent mixed drinks..how can I forget Susie..Semper Fi

gwladgarwr
01-09-08, 02:32 PM
Rota, Spain, Operation African Lion 2005: great food, cheap wine, cheaper women.:banana:

Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, Operation Talisman Sabre 2007: four days of booze, kangaroo steaks, and freaky Aussie women (and folks are so POLITE down there - in Rockhampton, that is.):beer:

Sgt gw:flag:

Gunny C
01-13-08, 12:20 AM
I'min agreement with the Lady, Six...

PI means the Philippines... my firsat duty station.

Living in quonset huts, monkeys in the trash cans and snakes in the hooches...

After Pinatubo there was no such thing as bad paperwork/NJP for our "wayward troops" you shoveled ash for XXX amount of days.

Those were the days!

darkgreen0311
01-26-08, 05:02 PM
BEST LIBERTY PHILIPPINES AND THAILAND:marine: :flag:

packy46
02-08-08, 10:37 PM
Henoko, Okinawa
One click from the front gate of Schwab.......
Walk over - Crawl home.

JITB
02-13-08, 09:13 PM
Canada Bar, Rue Pigalle, Paris, France!
http://home.att.net/~jitb/graphics/paris1.jpg

ttracker65
02-19-08, 10:57 PM
crawled through that gate more than once holding up my ID
but being a Tracker i gotta say it is a tie Marines
Subic Bay Philippines we owned the Quarter Deck
Patia Beach Thialand (watch out for the peeing monkey!)

Braden
02-26-08, 07:42 PM
Pattaya, Thailand is memorable.
Henoko is about as dull as it gets, but Okuma Air Force resort is fun.

hydraulic
02-26-08, 08:05 PM
#1 Phuket
#2 Olongopo, Subic Bay
#3 Bugis St, Singapore before they demolished it
#4 London Bar, Gibralter
#5 The visit to Shanghai Naval Base in 1980 by HM Ships, Coventry, Alacrity and Antrim, outstandingly funny
#6 Mombassa, Kenya
#7 Pussycat Club, Plymouth England
#8 The Centurion, Portsmouth, England
#9 Patpong, Bangkok, Thailand
#10 Keflavic US AFB, Iceland 1972

Just thinking about these brought back heaps and heaps of memories.
http://www.redcherrycoffeeshop.com.au/images/badge_vet.jpg

E5NAMKROW
03-05-08, 12:47 AM
cebu p.i.

SGT VAS
03-17-08, 10:46 AM
Thailand is like Vegas without the rules.

ahas
03-19-08, 08:59 PM
Nothing better than waking up in T's Tavern or DMZ. First duty station and I got to stay for 18 months! Suprised I made it out alive. Wonder what happened to the Marine who owned DMZ?

egbutler1
03-19-08, 09:37 PM
The O-House on the Triangle in J-Ville NC was a dive but a great time if you got to sit up in the Mafia lounge. Anywhere in Rota spain was great. If your in a pinch the Navel Dock in Crete was fun but we didnt get to explore the base just sat there at the dock getting loaded. I was so trashed that night I guess I tried to salute the nonexsitant flag when I got back on ship at like 0300.

juang
03-21-08, 06:52 PM
i did cruise in the south pacific with a batalion of cb's Tonga was fun Samoa was cool too (not all samoan girls are big) but australia was great.

JRHD72
03-21-08, 07:02 PM
P.I. is numero uno. Magsaisai street. The 3rd eye. Upper MAU camp. Man it's all under vulcanic ash!

Savageknight
03-21-08, 08:51 PM
Feb-March 1997, Tandum Thrust Australia! Brisbane(Bris-bin) and
Gold Coast Surfers Paradise! We got into Brisbane on Valentine's Day and were treated to some serious Australian Hospitality by some of the most beatiful women in the World!

ramayn2430
03-29-08, 05:51 PM
1) Reno and Carson City-(from MWTC)
2) Kin Vil-(from Hansen)
3) Angeles, PI-(Women liked the marines over the flyboys)
4) Tijuana-(easy drive from Pendleton)
5) Mexacali-(from 29 Palms)
6) Fishing at MWTC-Bridgeport
7) Any beach from Oceanside to La Jolla

Dan Berkery
03-31-08, 12:38 AM
Two of my favorites were Olongapo, P.I. and Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Quinbo
03-31-08, 05:00 AM
Geeze I forgot all about Kowloon. It was something like a 10 mile ride under the harbor from Hong Kong to get there. Sky scrapers made of bamboo. Fun day trip but Hong Kong was the place to be after dark.

Hemlock
04-01-08, 02:10 PM
Cubi Point, Subic Bay, Olongapo, Phillipines!!! Oh my what a time at Slim's Tavern. So many women so little libo

Camper51
04-01-08, 05:17 PM
I always enjoyed going to Little Egypts while I was stationed at Camp Smith. They did have some great gals there.

The beaches were pretty good places to go, too...

ecfree
04-01-08, 06:16 PM
Learned to respect a butterfly knife in the hands of a bar girl , OLONGAPO PI.,if she was a girl .:mad:

thewookie
04-01-08, 07:58 PM
1. Rock Depot, Club Metalica, Bario, and anywhere in the Philippines except on base
2. Moose Mcgillicuddy's, The Shack, and any beach or place in Hawaii
3. The Fun Pub in Souda Bay, Greece and all the nude beaches with bars
4. Kowloon, Hong Kong
5. Piccadilly Circus, London

I could go on,,,

duboisian
04-11-08, 02:11 PM
oslow norway was beautiful
the water glowed flourescent green at night when you fell into it drunk.....

degunny
04-11-08, 06:55 PM
Any Jar Head that has been through Quantico knows about the Command Post. Best SOS ouside the Corps.:flag:

rayrayLMCI
04-20-08, 07:49 AM
I was on the Belleau Woods with HMM-265 out of Okinawa when we hit Hong Kong. I got stuck with shore patrol the first night there but I made up for it on the rest.

pablox1139
04-28-08, 09:04 PM
Sidney Australia......met two sisters there...sang at the local bar...almost went UA.....couldnt buy a beer in the place.....locals wouldnt let you see the bottom of your beer mug.......they had tables set up where families could adopt you for a few days......god i miss being a sex slave.....!!

lucien2
05-14-08, 06:00 PM
Edinburgh, Scotland

sparkie
05-14-08, 06:07 PM
I just remembered an oddball liberty I used to love. Hitch hiking outta Pendleton, up and down the coast. Meet folks, sleep on some beach, Hitch back in on Sunday. Ah, the good old hippie days.

CplKJSpevak
05-16-08, 03:07 PM
Palma, Spain.........Varna,Bulgaria.......Crete, oh and we were in Venice for New years, riding around in water taxis watching it snow...very cool

gunnyhiles
05-17-08, 03:13 PM

Sempers,

Roger

I was an Instructor at K-Bay 68-71

silverdollar
05-21-08, 11:07 AM
I was an Instructor at K-Bay 68-71

what bn were you with at K-Bay? I was with 3/4, shore party then wpns co.

55&56

gunnyhiles
05-21-08, 11:38 AM
I was there 68-71 as an Instructor Brigade Schools.

SgtThrasher
05-21-08, 03:08 PM
R&R in Sydney, Australia from I Corps RVN 1969.

A wonderful city and polite people,9 glorious days.

Caribbean Cruise 1/66 (any of those liberty ports)

Okinawa was good too!!

:evilgrin: :thumbup:

FistFu68
05-21-08, 03:31 PM
:evilgrin: UP PACIFIC COAST HGY.FROM CAMP PENDLETON A BIT,SEASIDE OREGON ;HOTEL CALIFORNIA.:evilgrin: :iwo:

sparkie
05-21-08, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the Hotel California,,,,,,,,Fist,,, I know you and I did that state.

Hercules1944
05-22-08, 04:09 PM
Brest, France, with a little sidetrip to Paris. Then up to the Normandy Coast, where Americans were really appreciated.

Hartcorps
05-28-08, 07:12 AM
I just remembered an oddball liberty I used to love. Hitch hiking outta Pendleton, up and down the coast. Meet folks, sleep on some beach, Hitch back in on Sunday. Ah, the good old hippie days.

People still do that, bro. :thumbup: The best time I've had in the Corps has to be in and between Panama City and Pansacola, FL. Don't have a boat? Build one.

pablox1139
05-28-08, 01:57 PM
U sound like a serial killer.....

Hartcorps
05-30-08, 06:30 AM
panama City Panama and Kingston jamaica Then Iwakuni japan

What brought you to Jamaica?

CBS
06-06-08, 09:48 AM
Right off the USS Sanctuary in July 1967 to HONG KONG...WOW..HONG KONG HELEN !! We went to see Gunsmoke in Chinese..a real crack up: then walked out into a Communist rally outside the movie where they saw me in uniform. As they looked at me, I went into a firing pose but had no damn, jamming 16...so we hit the road and she called a cab to save our butts. I could have had 40 Commies with a M-14 that night but what the hell. Went to her place and relaxed !! I still hate the
Commies to this day !!

Helen...I owe you baby !!
SF............>Chuck

kentmitchell
06-06-08, 02:53 PM
Kadena Circle, Okinawa. 2/9 kinda made it home for a few months when we were at Camp Bishagawa in '57-58.

A V Cioffi
06-15-08, 08:38 PM
I was there in '93. No U.S. military unit had been to that port for a billion years before us (so they didn't have a bad taste in their mouths about grunts havin' fun). Nothing opened before 1500 hrs and you would have to be back on the ship WELL before the bars ever closed - no last calls. Also, you would have to damn near KILL somebody to get yourself arrested 'cuz I don't recall EVER seeing any sort of law enforcement. But then again I drank so much....:beer: :thumbup: I recall the New York bar was great.

www.cioffiart.com (http://www.cioffiart.com)

RichLundeen
06-20-08, 02:14 AM
Why, I simply LOVE it here, of course!

If I have to choose a place other than my favorite, I would say PI and Austrailia.

CBS
06-20-08, 11:33 AM
SF
I forgot to mention while I was stationed at Alameda NAS that San Fancisco and Oakland were GREAT Liberty sites. Only problem was net
pay, in those days for a PFC, was $88 / month. You guess how far that
will take you. We walked everywhere and enjoyed it. The old Playboy Club
downtown was cool, the alley bars, girls and music...ALL too much.

SF............>Chuck

NamNuts
06-20-08, 11:38 AM
These days i wouldn't take a head call on SF or Oakland..! Take liberty in the brgg at TI before that rat nest city's. And none of us would be really welcome...!

SIN LOI Bros just had enough of that SH$T hole

CBS
06-20-08, 11:53 AM
These days i wouldn't take a head call on SF or Oakland..! Take liberty in the brgg at TI before that rat nest city's. And none of us would be really welcome...!

SIN LOI Bros just had enough of that SH$T hole

"Don't you forget that you're First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you!"
- Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC. Chosin Reservoir, Korea,

I understand your feelings but it was the same in the 60s...we just pushed on through the friggin Commies.....we didn't pay no mind....I'm in my 60s today and I

still hate them but push on through !!

SEMPER FI........>Chuck :evilgrin::iwo:

NamNuts
06-20-08, 11:57 AM
"Don't you forget that you're First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you!"
- Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC. Chosin Reservoir, Korea,

I understand your feelings but it was the same in the 60s...we just pushed on through the friggin Commies.....we didn't pay no mind....I'm in my 60s today and I

still hate them but push on through !!

SEMPER FI........>Chuck :evilgrin::iwo:

Ya i got the 60's thing me too...still wouldn't place one MPC in that SH$T hole and NO it is different...it's whorse! Because people don't pay enough attention they just push thru! OUT

CBS
06-20-08, 03:38 PM
"NAMGRUNT":
Hey, aren't you lucky that you can have an opinion. Sorry you don't
like my Liberty ports............you have yours and I have mine. Let it end there.

SF........>Chuck

BadLuckChuck
07-17-08, 04:59 PM
Cobra Gold Pattaya Beach Thailand for 3 months I also made it out to Phucket while I was there with my LT and Gunny.

Old Marine
07-17-08, 07:04 PM
Yamato, Japan

jetdoc
07-17-08, 08:30 PM
To me one of the most beautiful islands we stopped on was Midway Island...it was unreal. I've yet to see water that matched theirs.

SlingerDun
07-17-08, 08:53 PM
...!Take liberty in the brgg at TI...That ain't no fun. Red__line was a good place to get in shape though.

sparkie
07-17-08, 09:01 PM
I still think Olongpo,,,,, I just can't remember.

BadLuckChuck
07-17-08, 10:30 PM
NAS Pensacola was pretty cool... Me and my boys used to walk around in our flight suits and hit on Female Officer Candidates. One girl actually believed that I was a Captain in the Marines. I was like 18 and looked young as ****. Oh well.

Old Marine
07-18-08, 07:49 AM
I still think Olongpo,,,,, I just can't remember.

Have another San Miguel, maybe that will jog you memory.

sgt.r.n.davis
07-18-08, 08:15 AM
LIKE I WAS IN HEAVEN!!!!
Well, I Would Have To Say. Singapore First Then, Phillipines. But One Of The Rarest Scenes That I Will Always Remember . Is While On A Float The Uss Tulare In 1973 . While Our Ship Along With The Seveth Fleet Was Cruising Between China And Tiawan In The Straits Of Formosa. It Was About 0300 Hours In The Morning And I Was Asleep In My Top Bunk Which By The Way Was The Four One Up, I Awoke From My Sleep, And Found That Their Was A Strange Hush Over The Ship And We Have Stopped In The Middle Of A Very Dark Sea . It Seemed Like A Calm And Peace That I Have Never Felt Before, But I Climbed Down Out Of My Bunk And Headed Up Top To The Deck.

Well, To My Eye A Wounder That I Could Hardy Take In There Was Our Us Navy And All It Great Power Stopped Dead In The Water. And All I Could See Was These Little Lights Shining All Around Us And It Looked As If There Was About A Thousand Little Lights Shining About 10 To 15 Feet Up Off The Ocean Surface And Reflecting Onto The The Top Of The Water.
As Far As You Could See They Were Everywhere Around Us. We Set Motion-less In The Water For About 20 Minutes Till We Got Permission To Continue On Our Route Heading South Towards Hong Kong, And Viet-nam.
Here Is The Kicker And What My Eyes Beheld That Night And Is A Sight That Will Always Be Burnd Into My Mind Forever.
The Lights Were Chinese Lantruans , And They Were All Hanging At The Fan-tail Of Every Little Fishing Boat Called Junks And The Boats All Were About 20-25 Feet Long And They Were About Twenty Yards Spaced Between Them. They From What I Could Figure Was From The Word That Came Down From The Captians Pilot House, Fishing For Flounder That Were Running Through The Formosa Strait And This Is A Event That Happens Twice A Year In The Formosa Sea.
We Of Course Did Start Back On Course And The Heading We Was On South. We Had To Wait Till These Fishing Junks Made A Hole For Us To Manuver Through, At Which Was A Snail Pace Till We Reach The Other Side A The Fishing Junks I Watched From The Top Deck As We Slowly Past Through And Watch A Sight That Was To Behold...

And Me Without My Camera Phone...:usmc:

Sgt.r.n.davis Usmc...1973

rsharetts
07-27-08, 11:42 PM
Barcelona, Spain. It had something for everybody. Plenty of cold beer, friendly people, historical sites, Did I mention cold beer?

:usmc:OOHRAH:usmc:

NamNuts
07-28-08, 02:20 AM
HO Bro....I'll drink to that!

After the Corps....I was a DOD contractor for 25years for Navy/Marine and went back to Barcelona a number of times....GREAT BIG SMILE AND SOME MEMORIES HERE!
and cold beer too....

OOHRAH

PhantomFixer
07-30-08, 03:13 PM
The PI pure and simple. Magsaysay Dr. <sp> was the only street in the world that I new better at night and drunk than I did in the daylight and sober. We would pre-flight at Peso Jimmy's (The cheapest and coldest beer in the Po.) then head out the door, hand a left and let the party begin.

1Marine4Life
08-04-08, 12:23 PM
Tijuana, Mexico! I've never drank so much tequila in my life. I paid for it too. :sick:

Still, best time I had.

:flag:

dpawson
08-14-08, 09:07 PM
I would have to say Benadorm, Spain. Found a go-cart track and comminced with the fun. Drinking beer and driving like madmen. Dubai in the UAE was cool to. Haifa, Isreal was ok. Remember all the cassette tapes you could buy cheap, no copyright laws there.

Robert Browell
08-15-08, 10:19 AM
HOME!!:yes:

jetdoc
08-15-08, 10:37 AM
It wasn't really a liberty port but Midway Island in the South Pacific was simply the most beautiful Isle in the US Navy.

silverdollar
08-16-08, 09:34 AM
Hotel street in Honolulu, when it was Hotel street in Honolulu.

chuckander
08-17-08, 09:36 AM
My favorite port would have to be Palms Spain. Never had so much fun in my life. Me and 2 buddies hit every pub in a 2 block stretch. Was the first time being called a Lad, and it was an unbelievably hot scottish girl. Loved it.;)

Hercules1944
08-17-08, 04:37 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Palma,+Spain&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GPEA_enUS288&um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

I think you mean Palma, Spain.

coffeejoejava
08-22-08, 01:08 PM
Where to begin.......Hong Kong ROCKS, Bangkok, Pattaya, Korat Thailand (these should not have to be explained), Singapore

Been on WestPac's, Forward Deployed Naval Ships, and Med Floats.......NOTHING beats the liberty ports the Forward Deployed Navy Ships (and her 31st MEU Marines) hit on a typical float!!!!