PDA

View Full Version : USMC airborne and other questions

Calvin09
07-05-07, 06:07 PM
I just wanted to know on whether or not the Marines has airborne units like the army, and what do you have to do to get in and what requirements must you meet. Plus, do the Marines use shotguns and are they standard issue to everyone and do you learn how to use them in boot, or do you have to go through some special qualification course to earn the right to use one.

Also, I've heard that the Marines will soon be replacing their weaponry with a new class of rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers, shotguns, rocket launchers etc. Is this true or not and what will these new weapons be like and what are they called, I heard the class will be know as XM.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-07, 10:12 PM
There are no airborne specific units in the Marine Corps like the army. That having been said, there are SOME units that have airborne qualified Marines, but you have to get into the units to go to Airborne school. In other words, competition for those units, for the most part, is fierce. Recon is typically the first choice, but another option is Air Delivery platoon, as well as ANGLICO (Air Naval Gunfire Liason Company).

As far as shotguns, last I heard, no, you don't FAM or qual in Recruit Training with them. No time and no need to at that point.

Future weapons plans are always a matter of speculation but don't hold your breath, and don't listen to rumors in the trade pubs, either.

Lastly, FILL OUT A PROFILE or you will quickly find yourself removed from this site. I also assure you no one else will answer anything you ask until you do. Read the rules, follow them. Simple advice.

davblay
07-05-07, 10:17 PM
Calvin, if you complete your profile you will get more answers!