PDA

View Full Version : Israel Planning Fence on Egypt Border

3077India
07-05-07, 03:24 PM
Israel Planning Fence on Egypt Border (http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7401&eeid=5289618&_sitecat=1505&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=-2&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt) <--(Click for source location)

By MARK LAVIE

JERUSALEM (AP) - Israel is planning to build a sophisticated fence to prevent smuggling and infiltration across its long desert border with Egypt, an army publication reported, the latest effort to fortify the frontier.

"Bamahane," the army's weekly magazine for soldiers, said in its current issue that the border fence would have sensors to pick up attempts to cross and would include obstacles to stop infiltrations. The article gave no further details.

The 135-mile border cuts through desolate landscape at the edge of the Sinai Desert.

Israel and Egypt signed a peace treaty in 1979, and the border has never been heavily fortified. In some places, it is not even clearly marked. Israel sends only mobile patrols through those areas, leaving the border wide open for smugglers to bring in contraband, drugs, illegal workers, prostitutes and, most recently, refugees from Sudan.

There is also a security threat. In January, a Palestinian suicide bomber exited Gaza to Egypt, apparently through a tunnel under the border, made his way around to the Israel-Egypt border, crossed undetected and entered the southern Israeli resort of Eilat. There he blew himself up, killing three Israelis.

The Israeli military has long warned of arms smuggling across the largely unguarded border, supplying Palestinian militants in the West Bank.

The magazine quoted Col. Eitan Yitzhak, the commander of the southern sector's engineering corps, as saying the border must be made impenetrable. "We must make sure that we have the means to prevent terror attacks like the one that took place in Eilat," he said.

More attention has been given in recent years to the Gaza-Egypt border, the northern extension of the border with Israel. Digging dozens of tunnels over the past decade, Palestinians have smuggled in large quantities of weapons and ammunition. Israeli and Egyptian forces have been unable to stop the smuggling, though that segment of the border is only about 10 miles long, while the Israel-Egypt frontier is many times that length - underlining the scope of the task to close it off to smugglers.

The magazine did not say when the fence construction would begin, how long it would take or how much it would cost. Previous plans to fortify the long desert border, with pricetags in the hundreds of millions of dollars, were never implemented.

jetdawgg
07-05-07, 03:28 PM
with pricetags in the hundreds of millions of dollars, were never implemented

I wonder how many USA tax dollars is this going to cost now? Also who will be the profiteer(s) of the program?

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-07, 09:32 PM
I wonder how many terrorists, bombers, illegals, drug traffikers, etc the fence will stop.

And, BTW, if it halts just one suicide bomber, isn't the price worth it?

Unless of course the life of Joooooos isn't worth it.

yellowwing
07-06-07, 03:09 AM
Walls to keep enemies out is worth the expense. Walls to keep people in like the Berlin Wall is totally different.

jetdawgg
07-06-07, 09:08 AM
I wonder how many terrorists, bombers, illegals, drug traffikers, etc the fence will stop.

And, BTW, if it halts just one suicide bomber, isn't the price worth it?

Unless of course the life of Joooooos isn't worth it.

It is not the costs that puzzles me, it is where the dollars come from

Sgt Leprechaun
07-07-07, 05:38 PM
Where would you think they came from? It's not like Isreal doesn't have an economy or is dependent on massive aid to merely live. I don't see what the issue is, to me it's not a big deal.

OLE SARG
07-08-07, 10:37 AM
AT LEAST THEY CAN BUILD A FENCE - the U. S. is budgeted for a fence but our dumbass, ****ing, stupid politicians can't quit bickering long enough to GET R DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND our President just stands by and watches!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

erased
07-08-07, 12:28 PM
Bah, nevermind.

This comment was about Bush's push for amnesty.

jetdawgg
07-08-07, 02:24 PM
Where would you think they came from? It's not like Isreal doesn't have an economy or is dependent on massive aid to merely live. I don't see what the issue is, to me it's not a big deal.

AIPAC

adrianhill01
07-08-07, 07:49 PM
I wonder how long it will take before the left wing radical idiots come crying and calling this inhumane?

erased
07-08-07, 11:49 PM
Probably quite a long while since I can't really imagine left-wing radical Marines.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-09-07, 06:13 AM
I dunno....seems we have a few floating around here....

Sgt Leprechaun
07-09-07, 06:19 AM
OH, and by the way, I'm totally against the "shamnesty" idea from the git go.....