PDA

View Full Version : Anniston Marines Pay Tribute On July 4th

thedrifter
07-05-07, 06:57 AM
Anniston Marines Pay Tribute On July 4th
Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 - 10:15 PM

By Jamel Major
E-mail | Biography
ANNISTON, Ala. -- There was a moment of reflection for Marines in east Alabama this Fourth of July.

As members of one military unit prepare to be deployed to Iraq, some of them are spending some time with their loved ones.

For Private First Class Lukus Shoffner and his family, this Fourth of July is not only about spending time with each other – it’s about paying tribute to fellow soldiers.

"Everyone should remember our fallen heroes,” he said.

Shoffner is just one of 10 Marines from the 3rd battalion 5th Marines Kilo Company who've been staying in Anniston for a month. The group is from Camp Pendleton, California. The soldiers are training at fort McClellan as they prepare to be deployed to Iraq.

Shoffner's mother, Becky, drove all the way from their home state of Missouri to celebrate the holiday.

"I think a lot of times people forget what the Fourth of July holiday is for. We wouldn't have anything if it wasn't for the Armed Forces,” she said.

"It's a real mental boost for me to see how much support my family has given me. They're ok with what I'm doing,” he said.

As Shoffner gears up for battle, he said he’s proud to know he'll not only be defending his country, but that his family will be rooting for him.

"Some parents might say don't go, but what I tell Lukus is go. Serve your country. We're behind you 100 percent,” said Becky Shoffner.

The group will be deployed to Iraq in September.

Ellie