PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary War

Marcus
07-04-07, 11:16 AM
Do any Marines/history buffs out there know any Revolutionary War stories that have to do with the Marine Corps? I've been researching and not finding much, I figured it would be a cool 4th of July question. Thanks.

Marcus
07-05-07, 12:48 AM
I found this info on a website if anyone is interested. It is about the Continental Marines and Commandant Samuel Nicholas. I did not include the info on Tun Tavern:beer: , because I think everyone knows about that.

"1776, March - Nicholas' Marines land on New Providence Island, Bahamas. In 13 days they secure 2 forts, occupy Nassau, control the Government House, seize 88 guns, 16,535 shells and other supplies. Returning from the raid, they encountered a British ship. Marines engaged the ship with muskets and assisted in manning the broadside cannon.

1776, December - Nicholas' Marines assist Washington's Army in the second battle of Trenton (the first recorded joint Army-Marine engagement). Later that spring, Washington incorporated some of the Marines in to artillery units of his reorganized Army

1778, January - Marines sail down the Mississippi and secure New Orleans to keep British traders out.

1778, April - A Marine detachment under the command of John Paul Jones makes two raids on Great Britain soil (the 1st in 700 years).

1783, January - Marines board and seize the British ship Baille in the West Indies

1785, June - After the end of the American Revolutionary War (Jan, 1783), the last of the nations warships are sold. The Continental Marines go out of existance, along with the Navy.

1798, July 11 - President John Adams officially signs a bill in to law, creating the US Marines"
www.acidus.com/Continental_Marines.html