PDA

View Full Version : Soldier talks about war, love and politics

thedrifter
07-04-07, 07:42 AM
Soldier talks about war, love and politicsBy Kim Thai
The Facts

Published July 4, 2007
RICHWOOD — He’s finally getting to play in the big game.

Except this isn’t a sports game, it’s a battle — a war, in fact, where he’s watching everyone’s move and looking for possible insurgents.

This analogy is the only way 31-year-old Marine Capt. Greg York could describe his excitement when he was deployed to be an “attack” pilot in Al Asad, Iraq, after 13 years of training.

“That’s the best way — my analogy of the big game — I can explain why I was excited to go to Iraq. It’s very rewarding” he said. “It’s my first time to deploy and be in combat. We’re proving that we’re good. America has so much pride in its service. And to know we’re serving in its purpose is very rewarding.”

His wife, Suzanne — nerves and all — said she kept busy with the other squadron wives while he was gone.

“We’ve been together since 1995, so I knew it was bound to happen,” she said. “It’s hard, but completely doable. It’s just the lifestyle we signed up for. And I know it makes him happy.”

Even though it was difficult, they agree they’re happy to have each other’s support.

“Knowing she was home taking care of things just made my job so much easier,” Greg York said. “The single guys just don’t have the support that I do, that my wife gives to me.”

Always awaiting an e-mail from him when he has time to land his fighter plane Harrier, Suzanne York said knowing he’s OK makes things easier.

When they could, the couple would connect by video conference through the Freedom Calls organization.

They both joke that seeing not only Suzanne encouraged him, but also his 3-year-old dog, the Duke of York.

“Well, I could talk to her some, but I never got to see Duke — just seeing him sit there is comforting to me,” he said.

He was in Iraq for almost six months, and Greg York is returning in March but not until after receiving more training.

He’s excited about his second deployment, but also has enjoyed his month-long break.

First on his itinerary when he got home May 29 was to celebrate his 4-year anniversary with his wife at St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands.

“It was a great way for us to catch up,” Suzanne York said. “And for it to be just the two of us.”

Greg York is enjoying the rest of his time off with family in Brazoria County, but has to go back to work Thursday for training.

Knowing since he was 5 that he wanted to fly planes, Greg York, originally from Jones Creek, said “this is his dream come true.”

“I remember when I took my first official plane ride. I knew that was it,” he said. “I didn’t really figure out how I was going to do it until junior high and high school, but I’m real lucky.”

York, who now lives in Arizona with his wife, said he chose the Marines because they chose him.

“Everyone else kind of laughed at me when I said I wanted to fly,” he said. “When I went up to the Marines, the whole appearance was different. They were so professional and more fit. And their uniforms were … pretty nice.”

After being involved in about 100 missions over in Iraq and serving as a safety and administrative officer for Marine Attack Squadron 311, Greg York said sometimes he wishes people would reconsider what they say.

“Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when people say, ‘we support the troops, but we don’t support the war,’ it’s disappointing,” he said. “It’s patronizing. You’re telling me that my friend is dying for nothing? We’re not discouraged by it at all, but it makes our job better and sweeter when people are behind us.”

Kim Thai is a reporter for The Facts. Contact her at (979) 237-0149.

Ellie