PDA

View Full Version : Donated goods help couple help Marines

thedrifter
07-04-07, 07:04 AM
Donated goods help couple help Marines

By Linda McIntosh
TODAY'S LOCAL NEWS

July 4, 2007

CAMP PENDLETON – It's not anywhere near Christmas, but the way Linda Angleton keeps checking her wish list from Marines, you'd think she had a sleigh parked out back.

Actually, she's got a 17-foot truck, and once a month, she fills it with donated furniture and household items and takes it to Camp Pendleton.

Angleton and her husband, Richard, are determined to help young service members get things they need for their homes but aren't able to afford.

The couple coordinates the effort at Carlsbad Self Storage, where they are managers.

The warehouse is the central location for Camp Pendleton donations and is among numerous donation drop-off points sponsored by San Diego Self Storage throughout the county.

“We're in an ideal situation in the center of a wealthy community where a lot of nice stuff is given away, and we can get it in the hands of those who need it,” Angleton said.

Angleton is looking for donations of furniture and other household items in good condition. Baby cribs, kitchen tables, dressers and sofas, along with dishes and silverware, are some of the most requested items.

“We've got Marines coming here from clear across the country. They've left their families and don't have anything,” Angleton said. “You'd be surprised; I've gotten calls for a crib from young moms expecting any day.”

That's why there's a sense of urgency when Angleton double-checks her wish lists against the donated inventory.

“I know the situation they're in,” said Angleton, whose husband served in the Marines during Vietnam and whose son served in Iraq.

Angleton wants to get the word out to military families who need things to call her. If she's got the items on her inventory list, they can come by and pick them up.

At the end of each month, surplus items are given to Military Outreach Ministry and the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society thrift store at Camp Pendleton. Proceeds from the store go toward the nonprofit's emergency financial assistance for Marines and their families.

“When I was a Marine during Vietnam, help from the community was not there, and that runs deep with me,” Richard Angleton said. “We let our military do the fighting, and we don't get involved. I want to do anything I can to help the military.”

Linda McIntosh: (760) 752-6756; linda.mcintosh@tlnews.net

Ellie