PDA

View Full Version : Local man readying himself for first overseas deployment

thedrifter
07-04-07, 05:19 AM
Local man readying himself for first overseas deployment

By BRADEN WILLIS Of The Times Staff

Carmi high grad joins Marines, learns a new trade and hobby

Cpl. Brian Ragsdale, a 2002 Carmi-White County High School graduate, is readying himself for his first extended deployment in the U.S. Marine Corps, where he learned a new trade and a new hobby.

The 24-year-old worked for a time at Trelleborg in Carmi following his graduation from high school and probably never envisioned himself being responsible for Rolls Royce jet engines like those found on Harrier jets. He probably also never envisioned himself riding a bull.

But that's exactly what he finds himself doing these days, and that's exactly what he plans to spend his life doing once he returns from this upcoming deployment of at least six months with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU).

A MEU typically is comprised of a large battle group of ships including a Marine infantry unit and all its support, which is where Brian falls in. Harriers, which have the ability to take off and land vertically like a helicopter, are an important component in Marine Air/Ground Task Force doctrine.

While Brian says he doesn't know where his MEU will be heading, he and anyone else aware of current events would be willing to bet he'll end up in the Persian Gulf region. He's been on short training deployments before but this will be his first overseas deployment. He had a few days' pre-deployment leave and spent Monday afternoon relaxing on the front porch of his parents' Sycamore Street home, chatting with The Times and showing off pictures of his bull riding experiences.

So how did he get involved in bull riding? "I was out with some buddies one night at this place that had a mechanical bull and got on it on a dare," he explained. "I was pretty good at it. It just sort of went from there."

Brian is stationed at Cherry Point, N.C., after completing boot camp at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, Calif., in 2003 and further training at Pensacola, Fla. He discovered there were several bull riding arenas in the area and began to ride competitively. He is now a member of the Professional Armed Forces Rodeo Association, American Bull Riding and Cowboy Association and Southeastern Bull Riding Association. He has won as much as $700 at a single event and placed ninth in regional point competition last year.

He has traveled all over North Carolina to compete and has competed in South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia and other states.

He met his girlfriend, Kimberly Needham, at a rodeo competition near his base and she accompanied Brian on his leave at home this time. They shied away from the marriage question but it is obvious the two are making plans for a shared future. Her father works aboard Cherry Point as a civilian contractor and Brian said he has similar plans. Brian plans to get out of the Marine Corps when his enlistment is up in 2008 and work at Cherry Point as a civilian in aircraft engine repair.

"I'd be doing the same thing I'm doing now," he said. "The Marine Corps definitely provided me with a career path. That was something I didn't have here."

Kimberly plans to continue working as a receptionist at a veterinary clinic for the immediate future.

Brian is the son of Mike and Leeann Combs of Carmi. His grandparents are Frances Nelson and Tim and Linda Glasscock of Carmi and Warren and Debbie Combs of DeWitt, Ill.

Ellie