PDA

View Full Version : Aussies supporting U.S. troops

wrbones
03-19-03, 08:16 AM
Got this from Helen this AM. Hadn't heard from her in awhile, although I see her on the site time to time. Their time zone is quite a bit different than ours.

This is a message from Helen at Leatherneck.com -- Marine Corps Community ( http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/index.php ). The Leatherneck.com -- Marine Corps Community owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email Helen, you can use this online form:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?action=mailform&userid=301

OR, by email:
mailto:helens@westserv.net.au

This is the message:

Hey Warren,
How are you? I hope you remember me. I"m the aussie you sent your best beef stew too once!!!
I wanted to ask a favuor. I dont know how to put a post on, but i wanted you to let Marines know that there is a support group run by a Marine for Marines. I have been in it since sept 2001, we run all kinds of things adopting platoons, Marines etc.. I do my bit from Australia with Aussie care packages. What I am finding is alot of servicemen dont know there is support if they want it. There is like 300 in the group so they can be guaranteed some mail! Anyway if you can put some kinda posting I would be much appreciated and I can give them Jaimies email. Sometimes family will submit a member who they feel are doing it kinda tough or lonely. Right now they need all the support they can get. I have written 47 postcards this week. Names and addresses are coming in all the time. Anyway with your nouse and words im' sure we can spread the word a little further,
thanks in advance mate,
helen

Oh, yeah. She loved my beef stew recipe!

thedrifter
03-19-03, 08:58 AM
Thanks Helen.......

and to Bones....

Bragger........:D

So where is my beef stew.....LOL

Sempers,

Roger

wrbones
03-19-03, 09:02 AM
Here it is!!!

I can't get this formatted, so bear with me! It's worth it!

This is an original recipe. I have five years working for award winning chefs. I kinda know what I'm doin' here.....except fer the experiments......But we won't talk about those today.

I've had people from all over the world eat this stew and always recieved compliments.

Warren’s Beef Stew makes 2 1/2 -3 gallons

Dice 5-7 lbs. Of beef into bite-sized chunks.
Leftover prime rib is best if trimmed first
Dice two large white onions. Any variety. Vedalias are best .
Slice Button Mushrooms. Two large hands-full.About 3-4 cups.
Dice 10 large potatoes( 90 count case size) into bite size pieces. About 1” chunks.
You will need among other things….
1/3 cup garlic powder. Minced garlic is better.
1/3 cup season-all or season salt.
¼ cup whole rosemary. Stripped if fresh.
¼ cup whole thyme. Stripped and chopped if fresh.
1 ½ Tablespoons of rubbed Dalmatian sage. Finely diced if fresh. YES, SAGE! ‘shrooms and sage are the secret ingredients providing a full rich dark flavour
½ lb. fresh butter. Salted will do.
¼ cup salt to boil veggies in with water. Cook til firm but done. 1/3 cup salt
1 big pinch of ground black pepper. About 1/8 - ½ teaspoon.

Beef Gravy for stew base
1 gallon of beef stock. Beef base will do. Follow label direction. DO NOT USE BULLION!!!! It is too salty!
2 cups sour cream
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon soy sauce.
1 teaspoon garlic powder. Minced garlic works.
½ teaspoon white pepper.
Enough butter rue to make 1 gallon of gravy thick, but not stiff.
Bring broth to a boil, add seasonings. Add rue, bring to a “lava boil” and add sour cream. Mix well. Gravy should be smooth but thick for this use. ( Secret: add ¼ cup burgundy. Remember, If ya can’t drink it, don’t cook with it!)

Au jus
½ gallon of beef stock .
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
1 teaspoon of garlic stir well and bring to a boil. Sauté beef in a large pot with butter and seasonings til beef is lightly browned. Add gravy.Bring to a boil. Add Veggies. Add dice onions add mushrooms stir til it comes to temp. Ad dAu Jus to thin to taste.and serve with favourite cracker or bread

SHOOTER1
03-19-03, 09:07 PM
Wow, and this from a guy that eats Kimchee?:yes:

SheWolf
03-19-03, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by SHOOTER1
Wow, and this from a guy that eats Kimchee?:yes:

mmm love kimchee...........