View Full Version : Brothers in arms

thedrifter
07-03-07, 10:43 AM
Posted July 3, 2007

Brothers in arms

Older brother joins Marines after younger brother joins Air Force

By Charlie Mathews
Herald Times Reporter

MANITOWOC — For Lincoln High School graduate Brandon Carmody, today’s training won’t be as tough as the grueling, three-day, boot-camp exercise known as “The Crucible.”

But it won’t be a Fourth of July picnic for the new U.S. Marine private first class in the middle of post-boot camp combat training at Camp Pendleton near San Diego, Calif.

A year ago Carmody, 27, thought his younger brother Chris, 25, was crazy to enlist in the Air Force. Now, it’s the older bro’ who probably will be in harm’s way in Iraq in the not-too-distant future driving a Humvee.

“Our DI’s (Drill Instructors) would spend 12 to 14 hours a day training us,” said Brandon Carmody, home on leave in late June after completing 13 weeks of boot camp. “They build you up to where you need to be.”

The build-up includes growing accustomed to concussion grenades used during drills. “The grenades simulate battle noises, to set the mood,” Carmody said. “It works.”

After all, the stated mission of the Marine Corps is simple — make Marines and win battles. About 180,000 Marines are “at the tip of the spear” around the world.

Carmody said his military branch is the one that is first to fight. That includes in Iraq, where he will go after finishing combat training in about 10 days, and additional MOS (military occupational specialty) instruction in Missouri as a motorman.

He’ll learn to drive Humvees, “seven-tons,” and other personnel carriers with wheels, versus tracks. Then, sooner or later, it’s off to Iraq.

“They told us everyone will go, everyone will get their chance,” said Carmody, whose Marine Corps enlistment commitment is for four years. “I have a lot of friends who have been to Iraq. They’ll talk about it if asked, but they won’t brag or bring it up.”

Carmody figures if he can pass “The Crucible” in the hot, back country of Camp Pendleton with obstacle courses, only a couple of hours of sleep, and one meal a day, he can handle most anything.

“The last part is ‘The Reaper,’ like climbing a mountain with our huge packs,” Carmody said. “But when you’re done, you feel awesome because of what you’ve accomplished.”

Brandon and Chris worked together at GKN Sinter Metals in Manitowoc, which manufactures powder metal automotive components.

One of their co-workers and friends was Staff Sgt. Chuck Kiser, who was killed in Iraq in 2004, after his Army Reserve unit was called up.

Last year, when Chris said he was going to enlist in the Air Force, Brandon told him he was nuts. But Chris did make the jump from civilian to military life, and today he is at Ellsworth Air Force Base near Rapid City, S.D.

It is Airman Chris Carmody who can kick back and enjoy a few brews and take it easy on this Independence Day, before he begins duty Thursday as a technician in Integrated Avionics Electronic Warfare. He went to boot camp in Texas and MOS instruction in the Lone Star state and Mississippi.

“I tried recruiting Brandon, but couldn’t get him into the blue,” Chris said, looking at his older brother, who lost 70 pounds, and passed physical fitness tests before becoming eligible to go to Marine boot camp. Both men are unmarried, with no children.

The younger brother was a trailblazer for Brandon. “I thought if Chris can go in (to the service) then why not me,” the Marine said. “Motivation? To do something new and the Marine Corps has good benefits.”

A friend, and former Marine also influenced Brandon. They were out kayaking on Lake Michigan when their vessels flipped in rough water.

“I was freaking out, treading water and trying to hold my boat up,” Brandon recalled. “My buddy pulled me and my kayak around the breakwater.”

He said the former Marine was very much calm, cool, collected and strong. “I thought his Marine Corps training had a lot to do with that,” Brandon said.

Now, he’s ready to be tested under stressful conditions, too. Brandon is one of “The Few. The Proud.”

He and Chris have the respect of their grandfather, Henry Carmody, who served in the U.S. Army, from 1948 to 1951.

“I’ve already taken care of their life memberships in the AMVETS,” said Henry, who is a life member of local Post 99 with his wife, Evelyn.

He said Chris and Brandon, when they were kids, would load the clips of M1 rifles used by the post at Memorial Day services.

“We babysat those two boys when they were small, helped them learn how to ride bikes,” Henry Carmody recalled.

Now, they are in uniform, defending America.

“I am very proud of them.”

Charlie Mathews: 920-686-2969, or cmathews@htrnews.com

Ellie