PDA

View Full Version : ‘One story among thousands’

thedrifter
07-03-07, 12:14 AM
‘One story among thousands’

By Jamie Brunk Staff Writer // jamieb@nwanews.com

Posted on Monday, July 2, 2007

BENTONVILLE — Before May 11, 2005, it was Cpl. Aaron Mankin’s job to tell the story of Marines at the front lines in the Operation Iraqi Freedom.

On May 11, 2005, Mankin became the story. He was severely injured when the 26-ton truck he was riding in was catapulted 10 feet in the air by a improvised explosive device that was designed specifically to attack large vehicles. He received second- and third-degree burns over his face and from his finger tips to his shoulder blades.

“ It’s a story only I can tell, it’s one story from among thousands, ” he told a large crowd gathered at the First Baptist Church of Bentonville, where the third annual Celebrate America was held. “ I’ve been given the opportunity to inherit badges of honor but when I take off this uniform, my scars remain. I will live my entire life as an American who can’t deny what he’s sacrificed. ”

The church auditorium was filled with people but all was silent as Mankin continued his story. He said that just before he passed out from the trauma of his wounds, he saw an angel and he made peace that he would probably die. He didn’t die, however, and 48 hours later found himself recuperating in a military hospital in San Antonio, Texas.

“ But my story is not an account of sacrifice, but of survival, ” the Rogers native said. “ I learned that if it’s worth living for, it’s worth dying for. I’ve become a strong believer that you can’t have a testimony without a test. ”

Event-planners had a much less severe test to endure, but it still required some last minute moving. The event had been planned for The Square, but rain pushed it inside the church at the last minute. Volunteers had only about an hour and a half to move the stage, decorations and food for about 5, 000 people from one location to the other, said Jody McAnally, executive director of Celebrate America.

“ This is a gift no matter what the weather, ” said Bob Haynes, Downtown Bentonville Inc. CEO. “ It enables us to catch a brief glimpse of why this country is so great. ”

The event featured several local and national celebrities including former American Idol contestant Patrick Hall, Miss Arkansas Katie Bailey, and former actor Willie Ames and his wife, Maylo Ames. The Ames recently coauthored a book. The First Baptist choir and orchestra provided the lively patriotic music for the celebration and local servicemen and women were asked to stand to be honored. The honorees included both veterans and active members of the military.

One such veteran was Jim Dewitt of Bentonville.

“ This is a tremendous way to celebrate the Fourth (of July ), ” he said.

Dewitt served in the U. S. Army during the Korean Conflict. His experiences then give him a unique view of today’s men and women serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom and other conflicts.

“ I’m proud of our military, ” he said. “ They are doing a tremendous job under a tremendous handicap. ”

As the veteran reflected on today’s military personnel, he offered this advice, which could be used by anyone: “ Do the best you can with what you have. God put each one of us in a specific place at a specific time and we need to take advantage of the time he gives us. ”

It is because of the sacrifice of many service men and women — including survivors such as Mankin — that Americans have the time and freedom which to appreciate.

Ellie