PDA

View Full Version : 'War On Terror' Is Every American's War - Not Just Our Troops in the Field

thedrifter
07-02-07, 02:35 PM
07/02/2007
'War On Terror' Is Every American's War - Not Just Our Troops in the Field
By: Richard Rockman, Jr.

A young marine was returning home after serving his second tour of duty in Iraq. His mother called a Midland radio station (99.7) to ask for listeners to pray for his emotional well-being. When asked why, this mom sobbingly stated, "he feels like he wasted four years of his life because of what our leaders and citizens are saying about the war. He (my son) finished our call by saying, 'they have no idea what I went through, mom, and they don't seem to care.' "

If he feels this way, how many others in our military feel the same way? Too many, I'm afraid. And it is a national disgrace that we allow it to happen.

Is it fair to our troops to subject them to the daily barrage of negative coverage of this war as if they were deaf, dumb and stupid? Exposing them to the anti-war rhetotric of both republicans and democrats who shamelessly appear to have forgotten how our troops ended up in the Middle East in the first place. Do we, as a nation, really desire to discourage their efforts and demoralize their families? I don't think so....but we are doing just that.

Every American's War

Our military did not declare the war on terrorism - our Congress did! And, they did it with our knowledge and consent. In other words, we sent our military men and women into this war. We being Congress, the President, and the citizens of the United States of America.

Therefore, like it or not, the war on terror belongs to all of us. It doesn't matter if you are personally against all wars and for any reason. It doesn't matter if you consider Iraq and Afghanistan utter failures or brilliant polarizing strategy to attract the terrorists to one specific spot. It doesn't even matter if you love or hate our president and his foreign policies. The plain truth is: we are in a war, and that is a fact which does matter. It matters to our troops - those in the field and those in the rear, those at home and those abroad. It matters greatly to them and their families, and because of that alone it should matter to every other red-blooded, real American.

Here's the self-administered litmus test for the nay sayers. Would we knowingly criticize or protest the war effort if it were our family member(s) in harm's way? Again, I don't think so. And yet, too many of our fellow Americans are unconscionably doing just that. These patriots may not be your son or daughter, husband or wife, brother or sister, grandson or granddaughter but they are someone's blood relative. And that someone is an American citizen just like you and me. We should honor and treat them as if they were our own.

Each active or reserve member of our current military understands the possibilty of ending up in a war zone. They did not blindly enlist and no one enticed or solicited them. Knowing the potential risk, they still volunteered to serve their country. We should respect this reality, and them, before we even think about opening our mouths, much less protesting in the streets.

Freedom of speech allows for dissent but it should not be an unaccountable, self-serving platform for undermining our declared war against terrorism.

As a republic, we have a democratic process called elections which allows us the right to participate in bringing about change. If we don't like the decisions being made at the local, state or national levels by our elected leaders we can and should cast our vote to replace the people making those decisions.

Enemy Has Not Changed

The memory and impact of 9-11 seems to have faded for much of America. But the fact is, the enemy has not changed - not its purpose or its tactics. Whether we call them the Taliban, Al Qaida, Hamas, Hezbollah or the Muslim Brotherhood, these factions are the enemy. All of them represent the face of evil personified. How else can you describe an enemy that kills and tortures its own people, including women, children and other non-combatants? How can we ever hope to understand religious fanatics who murder and maim in the name of a man-made God called Allah. We can't and never will. It defies reason.

Let me remind each one of us that shortly after 9-11, George Bush, as commander-in-chief, stated we would hunt down the terrorists wherever they are hiding and any nation which harbors them would be considered an enemy of the United States of America. He even forewarned the American public that this would not be a short war or an easy task. In a reported George Barna poll following this nationally televised speech over 87 percent of America supported the president's approach and spoken policy. What has happened to our national resolve and personal commitment since that time?

Not Vietnam

Any and all references to "the Vietnam War" are ridiculous. There is no comparison. Common sense and history itself clearly tell us the war against terrorism is as different as night from day to Vietnam. First, this is an all-volunteer military. Second, Vietnam never threatened our shores, much less attacked our homeland. Third, we are not combatting a supposed threat, we are counter-attacking a real enemy who is engaged in terrorism and is an active, ever present, formidable threat to the U.S.A. and its shores.

The media hyped and oft promoted allusions (i.e. lies) to Vietnam are not only irresponsible, they are indefensible. These false claims hinder the mission of our troops and hurt their morale.

Sadly, the only resemblance this war has to Vietnam is the defeatist attitude and overall lack of gratitude our soldiers are returning home to.

Troops Need Our Support

This all-volunteer military fills its ranks in the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines (including the Coast Guard) with patriotic Americans who believe in the cause and their country. It's high time we let these devoted individuals know we still believe in them and their purpose. Our men and women serving this country deserve to come home to a grateful nation - and nothing less.

To our national disgrace and personal shame, many of us have abandoned our war commitment and sold out our troops. We have encouraged our terrrorist enemies in the process and discouraged our own men and women of the military in the outcome. It personally disgusts me that we willingly or unwittingly put our troops even more in harm's way.

Almost 40 years ago we did the same thing to over 1 million Vietnam veterans. We let them come home to a resentful, unappreciative people and country. Because of this, many of these men are confused, broken and damaged to this day. It was wrong then and its wrong now.

Experience has taught me there will always be the Jane Fondas, John Kerrys, Cindy Sheehans, and Michael Moore personalities. Individuals who put their self-serving agenda ahead of any national interest or personal duty. What I don't understand is why we let them lead and speak for us as a nation.

It is my firm belief that our grandchildren will be waging this same war in the future. Not by choice but by necessity. These muslim fanatics are not going away any time soon. Logic alone tells me for certain that this is not George Bush's war, it is not just our troops' war - it is our war. Every single American citizen.

In conclusion, as American citizens of this great nation, if we can't have our own resolve for this ongoing conflict then let us at least respect and honor the resolve and commitment of our troops and their families. They deserve our sincere, heartfelt gratitude. Each and every one of our returning military men and women has well earned a hero's welcome.

Finally, may God continue to bless America, not because we deserve it, but because we ask for it, in His son, Jesus Christ's name.

Ellie