PDA

View Full Version : training for running

devildog2011
07-01-07, 11:44 AM
For PFT, should I be training on a flat track, off road paths (I live close enough to Shenandoah National Park that I can get good 3-5 mile trails), or on hilly roads? Or does it really matter as long as I'm running?

Semper Fi:usmc:

BR34
07-01-07, 12:03 PM
Just run. In bootcamp you'll be running in the street. It'll be flat if you go to P.I., not sure about S.D.

rvillac2
07-01-07, 04:22 PM
Flat in SD, too. Only problem is that you'll be running with a view of the airport with all those freedom birds taking off.
When you move to Pendleton, you get to run with a view of the ocean (sometimes) and the I-5 freedom freeway home. ; )

winniele
07-01-07, 04:59 PM
i suggest run hills because when you run on flat land, it will be a lot easier.

Sgt D
07-01-07, 08:29 PM
Just Run. Do them all. It will change the scenery and also round you out.

Haffner
07-07-07, 01:38 AM
Do alot of sprints and run up hills.

PEGwinn
07-07-07, 03:17 PM
Interval training is best for reducing your time on a specific run (like the PFT).

Find a quarter mile track. Take off at a jog and count to twenty. Then run flat out while counting to twenty. Do this for two miles. When it becomes easy jog for a ten count and sprint for twenty. Up the distance until you hit your target.

Do this twice a week with an easy run in between. Easy is three miles at a good (but not sandbagging) pace.

This works great if you apply it. Knocked off a full minute at the Staff Academy using it.

No track handy? Use a road and the telephone poles as markers. Run one length and sprint the next. Same idea. Uphill roads and phone poles will kick your butt quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Tyson
07-07-07, 04:01 PM
Flat in SD, too. Only problem is that you'll be running with a view of the airport with all those freedom birds taking off.
When you move to Pendleton, you get to run with a view of the ocean (sometimes) and the I-5 freedom freeway home. ; )

i still remember seeing the birds takin off wishin i was on one all of first phase but come 3'rd phase i didn't want to leave, and the I-5 oh the funny stories i have from there lol....