PDA

View Full Version : Certificate of Acceptance

greensideout
03-18-03, 04:34 PM
My wife was doing some deep cleaning and ran across an old photo album of mine and said, "this is getting moldy, get rid of it."

I of course said, "It can't be moldy, I check on this stuff every 10 to 20 years, whichever comes first."

In preparing to get rid of it I was taking out the pictures and ran across my certificate of acceptance to the Marine Corps in the days of old.

After reading it again, I thought the wording may be something that you would like to read if they no longer present them. Here it is.

United States Marine Corps

Certificate of Acceptance

This is to certify that__name__has successfully passed the required mental, moral and physical examinations and has been accepted for inlistment in the United States Marine Corps.

The defense of our country and our freedoms is the duty and priviege of every citizen.

The Marine Corps has a proud tradition of outstanding service to our country in peace and war.

Voluntary enlistment in this elite military organization is a clear demonstration of those American qualities of patriotism and loyalty to God and country.

Presented this 29th day of July, 1960.

E. E. Hodges
Captain, U. S. Marine Corps

ktriplett
03-18-03, 08:31 PM
Nearly verbatim to mine, dated 2 November 2002. The phrase "to God and country" has been taken out, probably to be "politically correct", and it has been changed from "enlistment in the United States Marine Corps" to "enlistment in the Delayed Entry Program of the United States Marine Corps." Other than that, it's word for word.

greensideout
03-18-03, 09:51 PM
I think that it's a sad statement for our country to remove "to God and country" because it's not "politically correct."

In the current news we read about Marines about to go into battle turning their souls over to the grace of God.

I will stick with my statement that I have made since serving active with the Corps. "I have never met a good Marine that didn't believe in God."

Bootcamp 1960---, Semper Fidelis, always faithful to God, Country and the Corps. In that order Private? Yes Sir!

USMC0311
03-18-03, 10:55 PM
here iz one from 65
http://www.usmc0311.com/images/boot-camp-full.gif

Seeley
03-18-03, 11:13 PM
Can't wait until I get one of those :D. I went in to get a haircut today at Doug's Barber Shop and one of the guys actually asked me (16-years-old) if I was in the military! LOL! That only makes me want to go in more! Hell if I look old enough then they should let me in now don't 'ya think? ;)

JChristin
03-19-03, 01:04 AM
Certificate of Acceptance <br />
<br />
How I wish I could find mine. To show it to my two son's and then frame it and show it to all! Right next to my Honorable Discharge! <br />
<br />
The word, &quot;God,&quot; is a generic...

eddief
03-19-03, 02:18 AM
There are no atheists in fox holes.

22DevilPup87
03-19-03, 09:59 AM
Thank you for sharing that with us, greensideout.

*~*~*

What's up with all this newfound "political correctness"? I think political correctness is politically incorrect.

We can't put God on the Certificate of Acceptance?! I don't care if you believe that your goldfish is God, it's still a belief in something that's more powerful than yourself. Well, maybe not in that particular case, but I think you all get the gist of tihs.

Political correctness has made life so gosh-darn difficult. If there's a group of Marines and I want to point out something about one particular Marine I can't do it because I couldn't do it with political correctness. I can't say dark green or light green. I can't tell you about the Marine with glasses. I can't call a woman a female Marine. What am I supposed to do ... describe their aura to you?!

Forgive my rant, but the times we're in now make it practically impossible to speak and be "politically correct".

Sixguns
03-31-03, 07:51 PM
so as not to offend those who have no faith or believe in a devine creator who lives in the heavens, who created the Earth and all living things there onto pertaining......

Dog tags for those show "Agnostic" for religious preference.

SF,

22DevilPup87
03-31-03, 08:14 PM
Agnostic on a dog tag...

At least we live in a country where you're free to believe however you wish.

greensideout
03-31-03, 09:46 PM
Ya, DevilPup.

Sad though, isn't it.

Some that live in this country feel free to believe that killing the rest of us is a right given by our freedoms here.

"However you wish" is not necessarily a good thing is it?

22DevilPup87
04-05-03, 05:02 PM
No, greensideout, I don't think, "However you wish," is a good thing. I believe the rights of freedom need to be exercised with some decentcy.

From my understanding, the word Agnostic means that you're currently unwilling to commit to believing or disbelieving in your God of choice. In that case, since you've still left the notion of the existence of a God untouched, what's the big deal about declaring a religion?

If I have what it takes to become a Marine, will I not be serving My God, My Country, and My Corps? If it's considered a cross of Church and State to have God on an Acceptance Certificate maybe we should take "In God We Trust" off the dollar bill. (I probably shouldn't have said that ... watch that happen in a couple years.)

I do understand that I'm preaching to the choir here so I'll end my rambling.

greensideout
04-05-03, 05:21 PM
You're thinking, that's what counts.

I would guess that you can answer the questions that you pose.

Later, "The Choir"

22DevilPup87
04-05-03, 05:52 PM
I do have the answers to my own questions. They're more rhetorical than anything else. I'm simply so disturbed by the state our world is in, and more importantly, our country is in, that I had to express my views.

Thanks for listening.

greensideout
04-05-03, 06:01 PM
We all our.

Don't let it get you down.

Keep getting out and having some fun with your friends.

Balance is the key word.

Thanks for listening? You're welcome. Thanks for your views.

Sparrowhawk
04-05-03, 09:42 PM
You don't get "to God and country" on your certificate untill you become a Marine.

Its like everything else in the Corps its issued during 4th phase.

It also depends on your D.I., some recruits call upon God, as soon as they hit the yellow footprints, others may take a bit longer.

Cuelocks
04-06-03, 02:49 PM
So, your saying that you get one of those certificates after you complete bootcamp and not when you sign the papers and swear into DEP? Just checking, because I haven't gotten one of those yet and I leave for basic in 2 weeks, on the 21st of April.

-Cuelocks (Poolee)

CrazyBrave83
05-01-03, 05:25 PM
My Friend got a certificate (card) of acceptance when he passed MEPS, but I never recieved one...is there something I can do about this? I really would like to have one.

greensideout
05-01-03, 06:27 PM
SmprFiSully,

Great Quote!

Check with your recruiter about the certificate. He should be your point of contact, (POC).

Sixguns
05-01-03, 07:38 PM
Sully,

Most recruiters and NCOICs wait until your first Pool Function to award you the certificate in front of your fellow poolees and to sort of welcome you to the gun club!!! Don't sweat it until then. If you haven't gotten your "Club Card" and certificate at that meeting, ask for it!!!

SIXGUNS

Six Xray
05-01-03, 11:43 PM
Greensideout, looks like we both attained the same exalted rank during the same era. I just dug out same yellowed and nearly moldy Certificate of Acceptance. Word- for- word identical signed by...

immaproshooter
05-01-03, 11:54 PM
i agree, its pathetic to not be able to put god on it, i mean look at the Pledge of Alligance for cryin out loud, does it not say "one nation under God" ? i may be wrong here, but isnt America built of the belief in God, and God as our Protector(or however you may portray that)?!?!?!?!?!?

immaproshooter
05-01-03, 11:57 PM
i know my comment is kinda late and all but i just still wanted to be heard by everyone