PDA

View Full Version : Woman honored for her war work

thedrifter
07-01-07, 05:58 AM
Woman honored for her war work

By Rick Smith
Sunday, July 1, 2007

When the Marines asked Janis Roznowski to be the guest of honor at their July 3 Sunset Parade in Arlington National Cemetery, she was shocked.

“I think they must have made a mistake,” she told her mom, Helen Wike of San Angelo.

There was no mistake.

Janis, who grew up in San Angelo, now lives in Lago Vista, near Austin. She is being honored for founding and directing Operation Comfort, a non-profit organization that aids wounded service members and their families.

“She has done an enormous amount of work,” Helen said. “She’s brought a lot of comfort to the wounded and their families.”

Janis has worked as a flight attendant for American Airlines since 1970. In 2003, Janis began helping with American Airlines flights that carried service members in and out of the Middle East. The experience gave her strong emotional attachments to the service members and their families.

“Having the responsibility of flying our Marines and soldiers into war, I felt I also had the responsibility of helping them along the way in any way that I could,” she wrote on her Web site, operationcomfort.org.

Janis wrote that Operation Comfort was born early in 2004 when she visited the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, checking on young service members who had been injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“I asked a soldier if there was anything that he needed, and he assured me there wasn’t, so I asked if there was anything he wanted, and I noticed there was some hesitation in his voice. I asked again, several times, and at last he said he wished they had computers so they could talk to their buddies in Iraq.”

Janis got them computers. Then she got them a living room with a big screen TV where they could relax during their extended hospital visits. Then Operation Comfort helped remodel the burn and orthopedic waiting rooms, the ICU waiting room and the Soldier Family Assistance Center at Brooke.

Operation Comfort continues, helping wounded service members, in many, many other ways since.

Helen, who retired from Ethicon in 1989, said she couldn’t be prouder of her daughter.

“I’m proud that Janis will be able to have some of the recognition that she serves. What she’s done has blossomed into a great organization,” said Helen, who won’t be able to make the trip to Virginia because of health problems.

“Janis manages to overcome the obstacles, where I would sit down and say ‘too hard’ or ‘can’t be done.’

“She ignores all the problems. She keeps going.”

For more information about Janis Roznowski and her organization, see operationcomfort.orgor call (210) 826-0500.

Lost cat

Carolyn Vann is searching for her longtime friend, Bella, and she needs your help.

Bella’s a long-haired, blue-eyed, female Siamese. She’s orange and tan with a multi-colored face, and she’s been missing from South Van Buren Street in the Santa Rita area for three weeks. Her fur is a little ragged where Carolyn’s cut out burrs.

“She’s real friendly,” Carolyn said, and Bella might be living with an “adopted” family in the area.

Bella is 12 years old, and Carolyn’s had her since she was a kitten.

“She’s special to me,” said Carolyn, who teaches school in Christoval.

“When you’ve taken care of a pet for so many years, losing them leaves a hole in your life.”

If you’ve seen Carolyn’s Bella, please call (325) 482-0410.

Ellie