PDA

View Full Version : Grand Rapids Marines head to Chicago for memorial

thedrifter
07-01-07, 05:55 AM
Grand Rapids Marines head to Chicago for memorial

Sarah Sell

Created: 6/30/2007 12:09:17 PM
Updated: 6/30/2007 7:16:38 PM

A group of Grand Rapids Marines, who returned from Iraq in April, went to Chicago to remember a fallen comrade. Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment left for the Windy City early Saturday morning.

Sgt. David Kopera is one of the Marines heading down on a bus with some other members of the group. He described how he was shot during his time in Iraq. He says, "I stopped and looked behind me for 5 seconds and when I turned around, I saw a flash of colors and I was on the ground."

It was in December of 2006 that Sgt. Kopera was shot in the forehead. He had to have extensive surgery. He says, "It can take three years to recover from a brain injury."

Kopera and the other Marines have been invited to a memorial service for another member of their battalion, Sgt. Tom Gilbert. The 24-year old Chicago area native and former Western Michigan University student, died in Iraq in October of 2006.

Sgt. Kopera says, "It's part of just standing by his family, his parents. They're putting everything to rest."

The men from Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment came home to Grand Rapids April 29th. A huge party was held in their honor at the Delta Plex.

Lance Cpl. Bukrey McCarty says, "One word, it was wow. Standing outside of the doors. Before we walked in, you could see the door move from how loud it was inside."

"It was incredible, everyone was there supporting us, it was great", says Lance Cpl. Jeff McAlinden.

Since the Marines have returned, they say it's been tough adjusting to civilian life. They say there's no doubt they're happy to be back, but are often reminded of their time spent in Iraq. Lance Cpl. McCarty says, "I mean, I still have dreams like I'm over there, but nothing that's too serious."

"Loud noises once in a while. Shooting off fireworks kind of brings it back to you," says Lance Cpl. McAlinden.

The Marines say being with their families is the best therapy of all. For Sgt. Kopera, it's extra special. He survived what could have easily been a fatal injury. He says, "Oh, certainly, there have been servicemen with similar types of injuries that have died, so I'm pretty thankful, that's for sure."

Ellie