PDA

View Full Version : APPALLING is can't describe how I feel

MillRatUSMC
03-18-03, 02:26 PM
http://www.rall.com/072800Napster20.jpg

http://www.uexpress.com/tedrall/site/viewru.htm
Don't Support our Troops

DON'T SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
Win or Lose, War on Iraq is WrongNEW YORK--Sen. John Kerry, the Democratic presidential frontrunner, opposes war with Iraq. Despite this stance, he suggests that Americans should set aside their political differences once the Mother of All Bombs starts blowing up munitions dumps and babies in Baghdad.
"When the war begins, if the war begins," says Kerry, "I support the troops and I support the United States of America winning as rapidly as possible. When the troops are in the field and fighting--if they're in the field and fighting--remembering what it's like to be those troops--I think they need a unified America that is prepared to win."
Fellow presidential candidate Howard Dean, who calls Bush's foreign policy "ghastly" and "appalling," is the Democrats' most vocal opponent of a preemptive strike against Iraq. But once war breaks out, he says, "Of course I'll support the troops."
This is an understandable impulse. As patriots, we want our country to win the wars that we fight. As Americans, we want our soldiers--young men and women who risk too much for too little pay--to come home in one piece. But supporting our troops while they're fighting an immoral and illegal war is misguided and wrong.
An Unjust Cause
Iraq has never attacked, nor threatened to attack, the United States. As his 1990 invasion of Kuwait proved, Saddam is a menace to his neighbors--Saudi Arabia, Iran, Israel--but he's their problem, not ours. Saddam's longest-range missiles only travel 400 miles.
Numerous countries are ruled by unstable megalomaniacs possessing scary weaponry. North Korea has an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of hitting the western United States and, unlike Iraq, the nuke to put inside it. Pakistan, another nuclear power run by a dangerous anti-American dictator, just unveiled its new HATF-4 ballistic missile. If disarmament were Bush's goal, shouldn't those countries--both of which have threatened to use nukes--be higher-priority targets than non-nuclear Iraq?
Iraq isn't part of the war on terrorism. The only link between Iraq and Al Qaeda is the fact that they hate each other's guts. And no matter how often Bush says "9/11" and "Iraq" in the same breath, Saddam had nothing to do with the terror attacks.
That leaves freeing Iraqis from Saddam's repressive rule as the sole rationale for war. Is the U.S. in the liberation business? Will Bush spread democracy to Myamnar, Congo, Turkmenistan, Cambodia, Nigeria, Cuba, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan or Laos, just to name a few places where people can't vote, speak freely or eat much? You be the judge. I wouldn't bet on it.
Of course, it would be great if Iraqis were to overthrow Saddam (assuming that his successor would be an improvement). But regime change is up to the locals, not us. George W. Bush is leading us to commit an ignominious crime, an internationally-unsanctioned invasion of a nation that has done us no harm and presents no imminent threat.
Germans in the 1930s
We find ourselves facing the paradox of the "good German" of the '30s. We're ruled by an evil, non-elected warlord who ignores both domestic opposition and international condemnation. We don't want the soldiers fighting his unjustified wars of expansion to win--but we don't want them to lose either.
Our dilemma is rendered slightly less painful by the all-volunteer nature of our armed forces: at least we aren't being asked to cheer on reluctant draftees. Presumably everybody in uniform knew what they might be in for when they signed up.
"I'm horrified by this war," a friend tells me, "but once it starts we have to win and win quickly." For her, as for Kerry and Dean, our servicemen are people performing a job. They go where the politicians send them.
The thing is, we don't really have to win. Losing the Vietnam War sucked, but not fighting it in the first place would have been smarter. Losing to Third Worlders in PJs led Americans to decades of relative humility, self-examination and taking the moral high ground in conflicts such as Haiti and Kosovo. Our withdrawal from Nam was mainly the result of antiwar protests and public disapproval that swayed our elected representatives. It also saved a lot of money that would otherwise gone to save more "domino" dictatorships from godless communism.
Most Americans who didn't actively protest the war at least sat on their hands during Vietnam. We should do the same during Bush's coming unjust war of aggression. Members of our armed forces don't deserve insults, but their role in this war doesn't merit support. Cheering them as they leave and holding parades when they return would certainly be misinterpreted by citizens of other countries as popular support for an inglorious enterprise--and it would make it easier for Bush to send them off again, to Iran or Libya or wherever. Let's keep our flags under wraps.
I want our troops to return home safely. I want them to live. Like a good German watching my countrymen march into Poland and Belgium and Luxembourg and France, I don't want them to win and I don't want them to lose.
(Ted Rall is the author of "Gas War: The Truth Behind the American Occupation of Afghanistan," an analysis of the Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline and the motivations behind the war on terrorism. Ordering information is available at amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com.)
COPYRIGHT 2003 TED RALL

http://www.rall.com/pr-photo.jpg

http://www.rall.com/about.htm
Here's his biograph;

About Ted Rall
Ted Rall was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1963, raised in Kettering, Ohio and graduated from Fairmont West High School in 1981. His first cartoons were published in the Kettering-Oakwood (OH) Times. He majored in physics at Columbia University's School of Engineering from 1981 until 1984, where he drew cartoons for the Columbia Daily Spectator, the Barnard Bulletin and The Jester.
Inspired after meeting pop artist Keith Haring in a Manhattan subway station in 1986, Rall began posting his cartoons on New York City streets. He eventually picked up 12 clients through self-syndication. In 1990, he returned to Columbia, where he graduated with a bachelor of arts with honors in history in 1991. (His honors thesis was about American plans to occupy France as an enemy power at the end of World War II.) Later that year, Rall's cartoons were signed for national syndication. He moved to Universal Press Syndicate in 1996.
His cartoons now appear in more than 140 publications, including the Philadelphia Daily News, Aspen Times, Hartford Advocate, Newark Star-Ledger, Los Angeles Times, Wilmington News-Journal, San Diego Reader, Village Voice, Harrisburg (PA) Patriot-News, Las Vegas Review Journal, Washington City Paper, Tucson Weekly, Sacramento News & Review, San Jose Mercury-News, Lexington Herald-Leader and New York Times.

This shows that an education don't make the man.
Am I appalled at this crap. words can express my true feelings at this so called "American".
Let's all take up a collection to give him a one-way trip to Irag or any where he might wish to live.
I never saw this comic strip, but I will boygott any paper that carries that comic strip.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS I got this heads-up from a MarineMom2 message board.

MillRatUSMC
03-18-03, 02:41 PM
I should have said that I'm appalled at this so call "American" behavior.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Arty101
03-18-03, 05:30 PM
I'm glad you posted his "pic" with this. Saddam Hussein's "pic" on my dartboard is full of holes.

Sparrowhawk
03-18-03, 05:38 PM
Who gave him the Freedom to say and write what he did?

This author sold the liberty others died for him to have, for the price of a book jacket

MillRatUSMC
03-18-03, 09:42 PM
http://www.rall.com/pr-photo.jpg

Where did this fool get this information?
Quote;
"I'm horrified by this war," a friend tells me, "but once it starts we have to win and win quickly."
For her, as for Kerry and Dean, our servicemen are people performing a job.
They go where the politicians send them.
The thing is, we don't really have to win.
Losing the Vietnam War sucked,
but not fighting it in the first place would have been smarter. Losing to Third Worlders in PJs led Americans to decades of relative humility, self-examination and taking the moral high ground in conflicts such as Haiti and Kosovo.
Our withdrawal from Nam was mainly the result of antiwar protests and public disapproval that swayed our elected representatives.
It also saved a lot of money that would otherwise gone to save more "domino" dictatorships from godless communism.
Unquote
The gull of this sob knows no boundries.
Am I ****ed?
You better believe it.
Third Worlders in PJs to describe our enemies in Vietnam.
It's great from hindsight, especially when you never set foot in Vietnam during our ten years there.
This coming from a history major!
An education doesn't make the man.
But these words will follow this fool for the rest of his life here on earth.
Maybe he should marry hanio jane...the would be a match made in hell.

Semper Fidelis
ricardo

USMC0311
03-18-03, 11:22 PM
The Vietnam war was a just war. The Cold war was the basis for Vietnam as was the Korean war. The Bureaucracies of the world were testing each other on the military might and the threats of Nuclear weapons. Korea and Vietnam were wars that America had to show we would fight communism for Any Country that wanted a Free democratic society/government.
We did sign a SEATO treaty with South Vietnam in 54 (I think)

Never again will the people/anti-war protesters Influence the outcome of War. We know the shame that America lives with for the involvement in the war and the condemnation and shunning of the Veterans.

Protesters don't bother me as long as they don't condemn our Brave Patriots.

May Chesty be in every Marines Heart, may God Bless and Protect Our Troops.

SheWolf
03-19-03, 10:34 AM
this is an email I sent to him:

1. We didn't LOSE the Vietnam War,, we quit.............
2. I will agree we shouldn't have been there, but once we were, the namby pamby polliticians shouldve let the military do their job instead of pulling them back and making them fight for the same ground 3 or 4 times,,, worry about the right/wrong after
3. SAVED SO MUCH MONEY? what about the loss of life of American soldiers, who FOUGHT TO GIVE YOU YOUR FREEDOM....

HOW DARE YOU,,, call yourself an AMERICAN,, oh,, that's right,, you can, because I spent 21 years in the military, my husband 14 years and my son is in Kuwait right now,,,

HOW DARE YOU