PDA

View Full Version : Phony Vietnam Vets Proliferate

thedrifter
06-30-07, 07:43 AM
Phony Vietnam Vets Proliferate
Strategy Page

June 29, 2007: Since the 1990s, the U.S. Census has occasionally asked people about their military experience, including whether they had served in Vietnam. There were some interesting results. In 1995, the census data showed 11.2 million people said they served during the Vietnam war period. But only nine million American actually served in the armed forces during the official Vietnam war period (1964-1975, most U.S. troops were out of Vietnam by 1972, and the big build up didn't begin until 1965). And only 30 percent of those were actually in Vietnam. That's 2.7 million troops. The census estimated that, by 1995, only 63 percent of Vietnam veterans were still alive. That meant that 30 years later, Vietnam era veterans who actually served in Vietnam were now only 15 percent of the Vietnam era veterans. Someone is apparently lying to the census. Note that, as a group, Vietnam veterans are healthier, wealthier and better educated than the population as a whole.

Another survey, in 2000, showed the number of people claiming Vietnam era service had grown to nearly fifteen million. No doubt, it probably still grows. Most of those who did serve in Vietnam, volunteered for it. Some two-thirds of those killed in Vietnam were volunteers. Those who served in Vietnam represented nearly ten percent of the men of their generation. The current war on terror will probably only involved a few percent. Moreover, as bad as Iraq is, you were more than twice as likely to be killed or wounded in Vietnam. Phony "Iraq veterans" are already showing up, continuing a nasty social custom that can be traced back to the 19th century.

Ellie

davblay
06-30-07, 09:47 AM
Ellie, that was a good post! Where I live there are two kinds of men, the ones that served and the ones that say they did! Until recently, we true Nam Vets just kept our mouths shut and let the HEROS rant and brag. But I have noticed that in the past few years, we are getting to expose more and more of them. It's funny, in a small town like mine, that the HEROS are stupid enough to think we don't remember what they did during the war. I used to work with a man that was at Woodstock, flying jets in the Air Force and flying F-4s off of carriers in the same time frame! His "Classsified" Service was a result of him being in the CIA and he couldn't discuss it! (RIGHT).

The funny thing about the truth is it's the same every time you tell it! No reason to try to remember what you may have said before. When you reach my age you go to a lot of funerals, and I have seen a lot of those HEROS buried---not many of them even have a Veterans headstone! Go Figure!

Thanks again, Ellie and Semper Fi.

FistFu68
06-30-07, 10:01 AM
:usmc: THERE ARE ONLY TWO KIND'S OF MEN IN THIS WORLD,WHEN THE CHIT;HIT'S THE FAN.THOSE WHO RUN,AND THOSE WHO STAND AND FIGHT.:usmc:

davblay
06-30-07, 10:03 AM
For a lack of better words----well put FIST!

jetdawgg
06-30-07, 10:18 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/post_usmc_tell-marines_ww2.jpg

OLE SARG
06-30-07, 10:25 AM
Right on FIST!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Robert Browell
06-30-07, 11:01 AM
:evilgrin: Unfortunatly,wannabes have been around for quite a while.In a way they are a left handed complement.But I still think they are the unfortunate result of a homosexual encounter gone bad!!!!:yes: :usmc:

FistFu68
06-30-07, 11:51 AM
:evilgrin: THAT'S WHY THE "MAGGOT'S" HAVE A BROWN RING A'ROUND THEIR NECK'S THEY WERE AZZ-HOLE BABIE'S :evilgrin:

jetdawgg
06-30-07, 11:57 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/CutRun.jpg

.......Those who "Cut and Run":D

Dave Coup
06-30-07, 12:21 PM
I recently ran into a guy who said he was a Lt. Col. In the Marine Corps, had served in Nam etc. I asked him where in Nam and he said "The DMZ" so I asked where on the 'Z' and he couldn't come up with a name of any place near the DMZ and finally said "You know, the Mekong Delta" It was so pitiful I couldn't bring myself to kick his ass.

SF

Dave

Namvet67
06-30-07, 01:02 PM
I'm sure a lot of veterans answering those surveys were Nam "era" vets and may not of actually put boots on the ground. Why someone would claim to have served in Nam and actually didn't is beyond me. They can read all they want but unless you were there it would be next to impossible to make the story believable to another Nam vet. I have met several army vets that claimed Nam service and didn't actually serve there but to be honest I have never come met a Marine that lied about Nam service. Oh I am sure they are out there but just never met one. Maybe I did but he may have lied to someone else but not me. I have never been on a poser hunt but if I hear claims that don't sound right to me, I will inquire.

redneck13
06-30-07, 03:24 PM
:evilgrin: I was in a group of Military Nam Veteran's, group therapy. This one clown would watch old WWII flik's, then come to group and he'd be one of the cast. Then another who had the cohonies to march with us, and the Texas Attorney General, from the river bed near Dallas Tx., to the new site for the dedication of the VN Memorial. He had an air tight story. Even made denim jacket's that he'd sell to put your unit's and all other sorts of patches on. Come to find out, he was never even in the Military, let alone in Nam.
It blows my mind of why they would want to be a poser.....they're despictable...I never got a chance to whoop up on one. Missed a good opportunity. They are destined for worm infestation....Carry on, you Good Maggot's. SF

Robert Browell
06-30-07, 03:53 PM
:mad: KILL THEM ALL, Well all but 6 of them,make them be pall bearers:usmc: :yes:

greensideout
06-30-07, 08:55 PM
The way many Nam Vets feel-----

davblay
07-01-07, 08:30 AM
Great Post GSO!

jetdawgg
07-01-07, 01:42 PM
Wasn't Hanoi Jane over there?

greensideout
07-01-07, 03:29 PM
Wasn't Hanoi Jane over there?

Not really, she was up in the north giving pleasure to the enemy. I would guess that you are implying that she can sound off about Nam because "she was there"? Wrong Nam, get it?

FistFu68
07-01-07, 03:46 PM
:evilgrin: 10TH.Z HAS MORE CLAIM TO BEING A 'NAM VET THAN THAT,NORTH-VIETNAMEISE WANNABEE TRAITOR BIT*H;MAYBEE YOU CAN PULL HER EYE OUT JETLAGG,AND SKULL FUC THE 'HO;SOME OF HER HISTORY LESSON'S MAY RUB OF ON YOU THEN MARINE???:D :iwo:

yellowwing
07-01-07, 05:51 PM
Phony "Iraq veterans" are already showing up, continuing a nasty social custom that can be traced back to the 19th century.
Now that really p*sses me off. We've seen fine crops of poolees grow into Our Marine Corps. Now these pukes want to steal their thunder? :mad:

rsta
07-01-07, 08:45 PM
I'm afraid that the older the Nam vets' generation becomes, the number of phony vets will increase. Maybe it's a result of "the places I've been, the things I've done" talk that seems to come with age. Hell, when I tell people I was in the Marine Corps from 67-71 and didn't serve in Nam, they look at me in dis-belief. I tell them I can't help it, I'm a 9% (or whatever the hell it was). The older I get, it seems like everybody I run in to is a Nam veteran. Yea, right! What were they really doing 30 years ago?

sniper 217
07-01-07, 10:11 PM
So If you were not in the service during the VietNam Era your not a Vet?

davblay
07-01-07, 10:34 PM
I'm afraid that the older the Nam vets' generation becomes, the number of phony vets will increase. Maybe it's a result of "the places I've been, the things I've done" talk that seems to come with age. Hell, when I tell people I was in the Marine Corps from 67-71 and didn't serve in Nam, they look at me in dis-belief. I tell them I can't help it, I'm a 9% (or whatever the hell it was). The older I get, it seems like everybody I run in to is a Nam veteran. Yea, right! What were they really doing 30 years ago?

Probably trying to get up there with Yellowwing! :marine:

jetdawgg
07-02-07, 09:17 AM
:D

http://www.oars.com/images/canada/Canada---Main-Page.jpg

Manymoonsago
07-14-07, 02:13 PM
At one time I think you needed wartime service to qualify as a veteran. Now the definition is "(d) Veteran means a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was...

davblay
07-14-07, 05:20 PM
http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/eligibility/DetermineEligibility.asp

This link should tell you the eligibilities for VA.

FistFu68
07-14-07, 07:04 PM
:evilgrin: YEA,WELL GUESS WHAT BOY'S???THE CHIT HAS JUST BEJUN,AGAIN;I'VE SEEN VET'S IN MY HOME TOWN SLEEPING UNDER BRIDGES,IT MAKE'S MY HEART -HEAVY.NO WAY NOT IN AMERICA,BUT I'VE A'WAY'S BEEN ACCUSED OF BEING A OPTIMIST...MUST BE THE "MARINE"IN ME???:evilgrin: S/F:iwo:

sparkie
07-14-07, 10:01 PM
Phoneys? Gook wanna bees? I met one, Says he was in Berut, but too young. Diskusting Little a** h**e

greensideout
07-14-07, 11:14 PM
I've even known guys who were definitely in the USMC in the 60's who actually served in Vietnam and didn't know or remember what how to finish the phrase "Eat the apple and ......" I suspect that they were in the air wing stationed at Da Nang, though.

LOL---I was a winger in Nam before the Marines moved to Da Nang from Soc Trang. And the answer to your phrase is---"Eat the apple and FUK THE CORPS". How's that for a "winger"? :evilgrin:

iamcloudlander
07-14-07, 11:51 PM
LOL---I was a winger in Nam before the Marines moved to Da Nang from Soc Trang. And the answer to your phrase is---"Eat the apple and FUK THE CORPS". How's that for a "winger"? :evilgrin:

thank you greensideout I to was in the wing at Danang and we all knew this quote.

further those bums under the bridge want to be there they would be there whether a vet or not--one mans opinion

davblay
07-15-07, 01:05 AM

As a matter of fact I was a winger in Da Nang as well!
"Swing with the wing"

Sgt Leprechaun
07-15-07, 07:58 AM
While I "Swang wid da wang" myself, far too young for Vietnam.

The Stolen valor thing really annoys me, as anyone around here can attest.

To me, though, a 'veteran', is anyone who served in the military. They did there time and rate that title. It's not dependant on combat service, in my opinion; there are far more 'noncombat' service types out there than trigger pullers anyway.

I have issues with dirtbags claiming veteran status who aren't, dirtbags claiming brave heroics while in the rear with the gear, and such things. Seems like every drunk I locked up in the mid 90's claimed some sort of Nam service....and every single one of them, without fail, when investigated by me (to see if I could get them VA benefits and such) ended up with zero service. Couldn't prosecute em then....now it's possible.

The phenom of kids claiming Iraq war time will continue, sad to say. That's why it's up to those who have served in THIS war to be on guard for these dirtbags. Sadly, I've taken to assuming most people are telling me BS about their so called 'combat' time until proven otherwise...just sooo damn many posers out there.

Deduke
07-15-07, 09:17 AM
> At the weekly meeting of my PTSD group this morning, a new guy showed up.
> His pants were cut into 2" strips from mid-thigh to the ground. He wore a
> tie-dyed tee shirt, and tie-dyed headband. His hat is what my drill
> instructor referred to as a " catch-me-****-me-hat" , which was covered by
> every type of pin and hat badge you could imagine.
>
> Long story short, his entire extended family was investigated by the
> federal government before he went to Air Force boot camp, he did his
> survivor training in Death Valley, and he was a Blue Beret who was
> attached to the Green Berets, who were, in turn, attached to the Marines
> at a base " way up north".
>
> I just couldn't stand anymore, and called him a liar and a poser. I then
> indicated my intention to pull his head off and **** his neck, whereupon
> he gathered up his **** and walked out. I was so livid that my hands are
> still shaking 6 hours later. I found out later that he has been in the VA
> system for at least 25 years.
>
>
> You know, I sort of understand the logic behind going to a bar and
> spouting this kind of ****, since there is an outside chance somebody may
> believe it. But to come to the one place on Earth where everybody present
> knows he is a ****ing liar just escapes me. Maybe he is suicidal. If so,
> it damn near worked.
>
Deduke

Sgt Leprechaun
07-15-07, 09:50 AM
Typical. Can't say I'm surprised, tho. And, when you think about it, that either means I'm too damn jaded, or it's become a freakin sad world out there.

RON 68
07-15-07, 03:27 PM

OH MY GOD i have not heard that since "71"....and figured i'd never repeat it.glad to see i was not alone,i was out in dec.71 so missed all the action later.which i heard was not too much since just about everybody was pulled out in "72"

i am sure five ot ten year's from now we will have iraq phoney war vet's.or those who were never in the service stating they fought in the heat!!however i guess that 's true with most loser's...they want to feel important in a ever changing world. semper-fi. RON 68

Manymoonsago
07-18-07, 03:47 PM
Believe me I was just joshing with you Air Wing guys. As a matter of fact I think there were only Air Wing guys there after April '71 and I know that some of those guys were still in helicopters because I met one that was just back when I got out at Treasure Island. It's also why I suspect that the guys in '72 who were casualties were probably in choppers. The guy that didn't know the rest is a friend of mine and he worked with Officers so it probably wasn't as common with them.

I haven't been to the VFW or Legion in about 10 years (can't stand the cigarette smoke anymore) and that was where I'd usually hear the tales of valor. Actually, I recall one occasion when I was talking with a guy from the 5th Division and an Air Force vet, who was a friend of his and a really good guy made a comment about something, I forget what it was, but it was so obvious that he didn't know what he was talking about that we were both embarassed for him.

The latest thing that really bothered me was some obviously phony bull**** some idiot posted about Iraq. I'll post it here if I can find it:

"An Army LT who was deployed to Iraq, had a MySpace account that he used as a diary to document the details of his time there. He had photos of
himself in his uniform in most of the places within a tent city (military
base). He talked about Army tactics and how they were changing in response to the anti-coalition militia (ACM) threat. He documented his days, down to the hour: where he was at what time, what times the chow hall was open for lunch and when it was most crowded, when his sleeping schedules changes because of his duties to participate in patrols, etc. One day the tent city was attacked by ACMs with mortars, fortunately no one was harmed. That night, the Army LT went on his MySpace account and documented the incident. He stated where the ACMs positioned their mortar tube in regards to the base perimeter, what rounds they used, how many, and best of all (if you are an ACM reading American MySpace accounts), the LT stated "if those /////// had placed the launcher slightly farther away on higher ground it would have been a //////// direct hit". Two days later
three ACMs launched another attack.

This time they followed the Army LT's advise and didn't miss... two fellow
Army Corporals and a Private First Class were killed in the follow on
attack.

Please know that you do, for better or worse, directly effect lives with
your MySpace accounts (bloggs and emails)...don't give the enemy anything, sanitize your website, bloggs and emails, like you would sanitize your gas mask or uniform.

Oh yeah, the Lt. was released from duty on 17 July 2006 due to "Conduct
Unbecoming an Officer" and "Unauthorized Disclosure"."

An earlier version had the ranks and names of the three guys who were killed by the mortar. Of course, the names "CPL Juan Juarez, PFC Benjamin Hillman, and PFC William Santoros" were not on the casualty list from Iraq.

Was anybody here in mortars?

Sgt Jim
07-18-07, 05:47 PM
I served from 1969-1973,never stepped foot in viet nam,does that make me any less of a Marine ?. You tell me !.I served my country by joining the Corps.I did not have to go in the military at all.Had a good friend who had joined the Marines,did his tour of nam,when i had told him i had joined the Marines he told me that he should go ahead and shoot me now so charlie would not get the chance.Didn,t stop me from joining.You tell me?

Sgt Jim
07-18-07, 05:51 PM
If any one wants to reply to me ,it will have to be here,my aol has shut down on me,have not gotten it back up yet

Zulu 36
07-18-07, 06:58 PM
Believe me I was just joshing with you Air Wing guys. As a matter of fact I think there were only Air Wing guys there after April '71 and I know that some of those guys were still in helicopters because I met one that was just back when I got out at Treasure Island. It's also why I suspect that the guys in '72 who were casualties were probably in choppers.

Actually in April 1972, MAG-15 (F-4s) was sent to Danang and then subsequently to Nam Phong (aka: Rose Garden), Thailand. MAG-12 (A-4s) was sent to Bien Hoa, RVN in May 1972 and stayed there until the Jan73 cease fire. I was at Bien Hoa with VMA-211.

We also had I/3/9 (Rein) assigned as "MAG-12 Security Detachment". We were never allowed to refer to them by their real unit designator - after all, no Marine gound forces were in-country any more.

VMA-311 had a pilot KIA and VMA-211 had a pilot POW, plus a corporal KIA in a rocket attack. MAG-12 also suffered a number of WIA on the ground due to rocket/mortar attacks. There was also at least one accidental death, of a Marine armorer shot by an Air Force armorer who was fooling around with a .45 pistol.

Also, 1st ANGLICO had a detachment still in RVN, plus USMC advisors (of which then-Capt John Ripley was one), MACV staff, and of course the embassy Marines (including a extra contingent of infantry Marines who manned the perimeter wall and side gates, a job assignment made after Tet 1968).

FistFu68
07-18-07, 08:52 PM
:usmc: I'M A VIET-NAM COMBAT VETERAN-AND DAM PROUD OF IT :usmc:

davblay
07-18-07, 10:28 PM
I served from 1969-1973,never stepped foot in viet nam,does that make me any less of a Marine ?. You tell me !.I served my country by joining the Corps.I did not have to go in the military at all.Had a good friend who had joined the Marines,did his tour of nam,when i had told him i had joined the Marines he told me that he should go ahead and shoot me now so charlie would not get the chance.Didn,t stop me from joining.You tell me?

Sgt----The fact that you didn't serve in country makes you no less a Marine! In 1969 my Platoon had 75 recruits, there were 4 platoons in our series. Only about 1/3 of us wound up with WESPAC orders, and only about 2/3 of those went to the Nam! So you are as much a Marine as any us. You served your country proud, and willingly. I have no idea where you served, but if you were in the Pacific, then you were indirect support of us that were in country----where as if you served anywhere else you were still indirectly supporting us Marines that were in the soup!

Sgt the only differance in you and us is the fact that we did our duty in country, where as you did yours somewhere else! You would have gone where ever the Corps sent you, and I am sure you did. You must have done something right----you made SGT!

Thank you for serving in our Corps, Welcome Home, and Semper Fi---MARINE! :thumbup:

Eric Hood
07-19-07, 02:43 AM
We need to start a post--the Phoney Marine--we have all met him. My favorite was the one who did boot at Camp Lejeune.
Sempers

OLE SARG
07-19-07, 08:02 AM
Very well put davblay and I agree.

SEMPER FI,

DWG
07-19-07, 08:19 AM
From the day I set foot on Parris Island no one ever asked me where I wanted to go!:evilgrin: <br />
<br />
They TOLD me where I was going, how I was going and when I was going! I proudly kept the tiajuana...

bigdog43701
07-19-07, 09:30 AM
i work correction in a local jail. a few weeks ago i had someone come in and as i was booking him into our facility i asked him about mediacl insurance. he stated that he got va disability and that he was in viet nam. i aked really and he stated yea. his age was 50. i then asked him bout the nature of his disability and he stated PTSD. i then asked what years he was there and he stated 1972. i then asked him about what unit he was with and he said 1019. now keep in mind i have a USMC tattoo on my right forarm and wear a brass EGA belt buckle, so he had no dobt that i am a Marine. after getting all of this information i came unglued on him to the point that all the other officers came running because they thought i was in deep kimchee. they also heard me yelling at this guy on the 4th flloor of the jail complex. it almost got to the point that i was going over the booking counter to give this guy an alignment.

long story short he went in the Marines in 1972 and had never been in combat and some how had BSed the VA to get benifits. he is now under investigation by the VA.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-07, 10:03 AM
Absolutely typical.

Eric Hood
07-19-07, 03:04 PM
Fist Fu,
You have every right to be very proud.
Semper Fi,
Eric

hrscowboy
07-19-07, 04:34 PM
Wow this is amazing I was with Mag 16 Da Nang and we pulled out in July of 71 and went to Eltoro where alot of us where given orders elsewhere, I didnt think there was anymore airwingers in Nam after Mag 16 Left...

FistFu68
07-19-07, 08:04 PM
:evilgrin: USUALLY THE THING THAT TWIST'S MY TAIL,IS A'NOTHER SERVICE MEMBER .MOSTLY MARINES THAT WERE IN DURING 'NAM,IT SEEM'S AS THOUGH THEY ARE THE ONE'S WHO;WON'T LEAVE IT A'LONE WITH CHIT LIKE.WELL YOU KNOW I WISHED I COULD'VE MADE IT ('NAM) IT'S LIKE THEY FUCING MISSED SOMETHING???:evilgrin:

semperfi170
07-19-07, 08:38 PM
VMA(aw)-225 pulled out of DaNang RVN in June of 71. Last A-6A outfit to leave Nam! some of the unit went back via ship stateside and ended up at
El Toro, the rest of us went back via Okinawa to stateside and were bused from the Air Force base to El Toro.

sparkie
07-19-07, 08:41 PM
FISTFULL. Help me man Sometimes I can't stop crying.What the F**k did they miss?

ErikHeiker
07-23-07, 02:17 AM
FISTFULL. Help me man Sometimes I can't stop crying.What the F**k did they miss?

I didn't get to go either, but I still feel like I should have been there and have done my duty. But I didn't finish my last school until August 9, 1974, by which time it was pretty much over for most of our forces. Instead, I was sent to MCB Camp Lejeune where I got to see the April 30, 1975 evacuation on TV.

I did get to go to Afghanistan right at the end of my military career and it gave me a sense of satisfaction that I was doing my part this time. I think that's what Marines miss about not having been in Nam.

Manymoonsago
07-23-07, 11:21 AM
Actually in April 1972, MAG-15 (F-4s) was sent to Danang and then subsequently to Nam Phong (aka: Rose Garden), Thailand. MAG-12 (A-4s) was sent to Bien Hoa, RVN in May 1972 and stayed there until the Jan73 cease fire. I was at Bien Hoa with VMA-211.

We also had I/3/9 (Rein) assigned as "MAG-12 Security Detachment". We were never allowed to refer to them by their real unit designator - after all, no Marine gound forces were in-country any more.

VMA-311 had a pilot KIA and VMA-211 had a pilot POW, plus a corporal KIA in a rocket attack. MAG-12 also suffered a number of WIA on the ground due to rocket/mortar attacks. There was also at least one accidental death, of a Marine armorer shot by an Air Force armorer who was fooling around with a .45 pistol.

Also, 1st ANGLICO had a detachment still in RVN, plus USMC advisors (of which then-Capt John Ripley was one), MACV staff, and of course the embassy Marines (including a extra contingent of infantry Marines who manned the perimeter wall and side gates, a job assignment made after Tet 1968).

The casualties that I looked at were combat deaths, I think, so the WIAs and POW wouldn't count and neither would the accidental.

Zulu 36
07-23-07, 12:30 PM

Coincidentally, I was discussing my Vietnam service with my VA shrink just this morning. I felt that the experienced sucked purple cool-aid in many respects. However, I saw the elephant and did my duty well despite the rotten and difficult parts. Yet there were still pleasant and funny moments well worth remembering fondly.

I can look at myself in the mirror, think of my friend who was KIA, and know that I did my best short of giving what he gave. Literally, I would have been in his place but for the flip of a coin.

I did not enlist expecting to see Vietnam. It was winding down fast and our DIs harassed us no end for being "pussies" for enlisting so late. Surprise, surprise PFC Tipton.

My Vietnam service gave me a self-confidence greater than simply becoming a Marine gave me. I am grateful for that part of my combat experience, rather limited though it was compared to others on this site.

Because my Vietnam service was so unexpected, I hold absolutely no animus toward anyone who enlisted and did not go. They rolled the dice same as me.

When I die, if they only put "He did his duty" on my stone, I would be satisfied.

FistFu68
07-23-07, 12:31 PM
:evilgrin: SPARKLIER, THEY DIDN'T MISS A FUCING'THANG;'CEPT MAYBE STAYING ALIVE???:evilgrin: :iwo:

hmckinley
07-23-07, 01:47 PM
There's another site that has an arrow to zoom down the list of M.O.S.'s that makes the big green machine work. It takes about two minutes for the damn thing's a coming by in a blur. Everyone can't be a cook, a grunt, intellegence, could go on and on and never get through hitting this key board all day. Good god, if everyone was out there pounding the bush for the the quick shot, damn war would have bogged down. Every job is just as important as the other. If you were burning the schiters in the rear, it was essential. Now correct me if I'm wrong,"Once a Marine, alway's a Marine".
Even being a private in the brig is essential, give the flucking M.P.'s a chance to work in their MOS. Semper Fi Brothers!

As far as the fluking wanta be's. Got them in every walk of life.

Dave Coup
07-23-07, 02:22 PM
I just returned from a 3/7/1 reunion. On one hand I can say that I wouldn't have missed my experience for the world. I've made life long friends and done things that most people will never do. On the other hand I've seen and done things that no one should ever have to see or do. I don't know--- I guess it evens out. Anyone who didn't go has nothing to be ashamed of. As Master Sgt Hinkley says every job is important.
By the way Fist, I made my first trip to the Wall on Friday. It was absolutely the most moving experience of my post Marine Corps life.
Semper Fidelis and Welcome Home my Brothers.

Dave

FistFu68
07-23-07, 03:35 PM
:evilgrin: WALK-TALL SGT.COUP,'CAUSE YOU'R IN GIANT COUNTRY :evilgrin:

jetdoc
07-23-07, 04:14 PM
This is a freaken great thread...way to tell them Jack!!

Quinbo
07-24-07, 02:43 AM
I was sitting at a bar having a drink with the chief instructor for sniper school when in walked a young lad wearing one of those satin I love the Marine Corps coats. Tatoos on both arms. Web belt cinched up too tight. High and tight. Dip in his mouth. Eye of the eagle. I said come sit with us lad I'll buy you a beer. He sat down and proceeded to inform us about his exploits as an instructor at sniper school Quantico. As the beer kept flowing the stories became more extravagant. We finally let the cat out of the bag and found out he was a cook. It was fun. He left without saying good-bye.

jetdoc
07-24-07, 06:58 PM
Good story Bulk, lol.

USMCmailman
07-24-07, 07:46 PM
The Only Important thing to remember,-------If you were really there,

YOU KNOW IT! :(

Manymoonsago
07-25-07, 11:33 AM
I just returned from a 3/7/1 reunion. On one hand I can say that I wouldn't have missed my experience for the world. I've made life long friends and done things that most people will never do. On the other hand I've seen and done things that no one should ever have to see or do. I don't know--- I guess it evens out. Anyone who didn't go has nothing to be ashamed of. As Master Sgt Hinkley says every job is important.
By the way Fist, I made my first trip to the Wall on Friday. It was absolutely the most moving experience of my post Marine Corps life.
Semper Fidelis and Welcome Home my Brothers.

Dave

I went to one of the portable Walls that they were taking around City to City a few years ago. I've been in D.C. since and don't think I can bring myself to go.

As far as jobs, everyone in the USMC we were told that everyone's primary MOS was 0311 and rockets and mortars are addressed "to whom it may concern" and don't have anyone's name on them.

Jack Schafer
03-16-11, 11:40 AM
I recently ran into a guy who said he was a Lt. Col. In the Marine Corps, had served in Nam etc. I asked him where in Nam and he said "The DMZ" so I asked where on the 'Z' and he couldn't come up with a name of any place near the DMZ and finally said "You know, the Mekong Delta" It was so pitiful I couldn't bring myself to kick his ass.

SF

Dave
I was talking to a guy in a bar, he said he was a marine in Nam. Iasked where he was over there. He said HANOI. I asked what BOOM BOOM was & he said that was the big guns they used over there. I doubt if he was even in the service. I was a SeaBee in MCB #1. For the first month we lived in tents at just below FREEDOM HILL. The first thing we heard when we got off the plane in Danang, was, hey seabee you boom boom?

Brianhipwell
03-16-11, 12:08 PM
We need to start a post--the Phoney Marine--we have all met him. My favorite was the one who did boot at Camp Lejeune.
Sempers

Yeah......then there's the guy who went to Jump School at Camp Lejeune
HIP:marine:

DanM
03-16-11, 12:30 PM
They did drop a bunch into the pine trees at Lejuene 73/74.

HM3 Doc Wilder
03-16-11, 01:27 PM
Hey HM1 DanM -How Are you?-You Know Lately I Miss the Navy Also.Really Nice to Hear From You.

montana
03-16-11, 04:26 PM
on ross jan.? we were brought in from the bush..1 plt from Bco 1/7...to go on a special op with the arvens...info was lots of nva big guns ect...wasnt good...that night we found out what the build up...

Brianhipwell
03-16-11, 04:44 PM
Yeah. I don't remember my MOS, can't tell you anything...Marine CIA. Excuse me but I dropped my 14 MOH's, 17 Navy Crosses, 12 Silver Stars, 72 Purple Hearts, 6 China Service Medals, and Croix de Guere. Whew! I hate it when that happens.

advanced
03-18-11, 08:56 AM
Yeah. I don't remember my MOS, can't tell you anything...Marine CIA. Excuse me but I dropped my 14 MOH's, 17 Navy Crosses, 12 Silver Stars, 72 Purple Hearts, 6 China Service Medals, and Croix de Guere. Whew! I hate it when that happens.

My hero, can I have your autograph?

tracs1833
03-22-11, 09:33 AM
I really just don't understand 'posers'. I guess I never will. I was a Marine Reservist from 1969 to 1975. I recently bought a T shirt from Sgt Grit that says "Viet Nam Era Marine". After having worn it a few times, I doubt I ever will again. Too many people assumed I was a Viet Nam Vet. I quickly corrected all that I was not a Vet, just served during that time. I know the shirt clearly states Viet Nam era and does not say Vet, but I will not do anything to improperly make people think I served where I did not. I respect you Nam Vets,and what you all went through, way to much to be incorrectly listed with you, intentionally or unintentionally.

DRB
03-23-11, 03:14 PM
My father served in DaNang during Vietnam. Does not talk much about it.

Carpshooter
03-23-11, 07:34 PM
When I was in the Corps , I never ever wanted to be there (I was drafted ) but during boot camp those arrogant stoogies with the campaign hats kept beating it into me . I survived but never like being one until I was in Nam .

I still have my dress uniform that I wore home , even though I never ever wanted it very badly but did earn the right to be a Marine the hard way !

Guess there's some fools who want the easier route in life ,they are known as true low lifes , how low they can go ! :iwo:

USMCmailman
03-25-11, 04:28 PM
Thank you Ellie for a sad......but great post! Once upon a time we were spat on for killing babies. Now all the losers want to be one of us. Most of us were Nam vets before it became popular!
SEMPER FI and GOD Bless the Marine Corps!:flag:

EGTSpec
03-26-11, 10:34 AM
I really just don't understand 'posers'. I guess I never will. I was a Marine Reservist from 1969 to 1975. I recently bought a T shirt from Sgt Grit that says "Viet Nam Era Marine". After having worn it a few times, I doubt I ever will again. Too many people assumed I was a Viet Nam Vet. I quickly corrected all that I was not a Vet, just served during that time. I know the shirt clearly states Viet Nam era and does not say Vet, but I will not do anything to improperly make people think I served where I did not. I respect you Nam Vets,and what you all went through, way to much to be incorrectly listed with you, intentionally or unintentionally.I too was a Nam "Era" Marine. I won't wear anything that might be misread as me being a Nam Vet. My step-son bought me a cap that had "Marine" and the word "Retired" embroidered on it. I took a sharpie and blacked out the word Retired. I served 4 years and got out. My father-in-law served two tours in Nam and 20 years total and retired. We are both Marines, but I wasn't a career Marine. I think a Real Marine both by virtue of earning the title, or via mind set would never claim accomplishments he/she did not earn.

USNAviator
03-26-11, 11:08 AM
Tracs and EGTSpec you represent the true value of your Corps. You would never do anything to dishonor your brothers by claiming to be something your aren't

A few years ago a I met a China Marine. The man had to be in his 90's. He wore a beat up old Corps cap, red and gold. This one had scrambled eggs on it. It never occurred to me that he was posing as an officer yet this man went out of his way to explain to me that he just a grunt and that his late wife had bought the hat for him. He was that concerned that a total stranger would think he was doing something wrong. Amazing!!

karen8857
03-26-11, 01:11 PM
I have run into lot of people that tell me they were in Nam, but can't give me a location. I was there 68-69 at PhuBi FLSG-A. About a month I ran into a LtCol Collins in Flordia which was the S-4 Office as a Caption. I sure was good to see him. I have a true buddy Larry Powers (Retired MGySgt) that I serve with doing that time have talk to him monthly for that last 42 years. Even go and see him yearly. That what bring back memories is when you can get together with someone you serve.

jamielang1951
03-26-11, 06:54 PM
And then there is the 4th kind jetdawgg, the ones who run TO the fight, and we call ourselves
U.S.Marines.

Like most of us, I joined and volunteered.:evilgrin:

EGTSpec
03-26-11, 08:48 PM
And then there is the 4th kind jetdawgg, the ones who run TO the fight, and we call ourselves
U.S.Marines.

Like most of us, I joined and volunteered.:evilgrin:
???

tripledog
03-26-11, 10:47 PM
Go read this..llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0311/stolen_valor.php3

HM3 Doc Wilder
03-27-11, 01:07 AM
Go read this..llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0311/stolen_valor.php3
My Parents were not religious-thank God.Any one that claims he has the Medal of Honor-must know,he will be investigated and the "Truth"will always come out.Not many people get the Medal of Honor to begin with.I don't belong to any Organizations,except the Disabled American Veterans.Veteran's that got their Arms,Legs,Eyes, blown away and Traumatic Brain Damage,caused by "WAR" wounds-I believe,Deserve So Much More From The VA and the United States-than Veterans that were not "WOUNDED" by WAR .This is how I feel......

HM3 Doc Wilder
03-27-11, 01:32 AM
I was not wounded like other Great Marines,and Marines and Doc's that gave their lives-for the Marine Corps-and their Great Country...I was just a guy that got Mono for working hard.saw a few things that some people-would not like to see-I may not look that good,and maybe a little brain fuked-but the Veterans that were in real Battle-deserve much more than they are getting.My Respect and Soul go out to you Guys and Gals.

Carpshooter
03-27-11, 08:15 AM
But I was reading an article about Vietnam statistics in the Marine Air Transporter , Feb. 2011 issue that stated that of the 2,709,918 who served in the country of Vietnam , only around 850,000 are left .

This means that only one in three are alive today . That's sad as many of us were planning to live forever when we were so young so many years ago , as we have spent our time in that Asian war and survived , unlike some of our brothers / sisters , who didn't come home .

And now there are those who claim to be what many of us were and are , guess time tells who the low lifes are , again ! :sick:

Semper Fi to my Vietnam brothers as there are less of us here each day ! :iwo:

doc h fmf
03-27-11, 08:48 AM
I Agree With You Allan. Sometimes I Feel So Guilty Going To Bay Pines For My Arthritis And I See My Brothers Who Are Maimed Or Who Lost A Limb Somes I Look At Them And Cry Saying To Myself What The Hell Am I Doing Here They Need The Appointment More Than I Do>

Semper Fi My Brother

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

old grunt
03-28-11, 10:42 AM
I have an uncle who was in the army in nam and for years me and my little bro would try to get him to tell us about it.And still to this day he will not.only thing i know is he was on a fire base from some of his pics. he said he was a co.clerk.I thank all of you for service and advice/training i received from my time in corps 1980-83 and army guard 1983-86.Without the knowledge and leadership handed down from great MEN and MARINES and also DOCS!!Like yourselves i would have never made it...SEMPER FI!!!!!!!

joe mccormick 3
03-28-11, 10:52 AM
greensideout said it all

03Foxtrot
03-28-11, 01:07 PM
Just submitted a recent story about me confronting a fake Viet-Nam vet that happened just three weeks ago, while I was in recovery at a hospital after knee surgery. Was a pretty good story but, as usual, after taking longer than apparently allowed, after I hit submit, I was required to log in again and then, after doing so, I got the blank page and my post disappeared forever. WTF.... again !

roger7007
03-28-11, 02:13 PM
:mad:http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/CutRun.jpg

.......Those who "Cut and Run"You:D

EGTSpec
03-28-11, 03:53 PM
Just submitted a recent story about me confronting a fake Viet-Nam vet that happened just three weeks ago, while I was in recovery at a hospital after knee surgery. Was a pretty good story but, as usual, after taking longer than apparently allowed, after I hit submit, I was required to log in again and then, after doing so, I got the blank page and my post disappeared forever. WTF.... again !I've had that happen more than once. I would suggest using Microsoft "Word" and them copying and pasting it into the posting window if it's a long story.

gina
03-28-11, 06:47 PM
But I was reading an article about Vietnam statistics in the Marine Air Transporter , Feb. 2011 issue that stated that of the 2,709,918 who served in the country of Vietnam , only around 850,000 are left .

This means that only one in three are alive today . That's sad as many of us were planning to live forever when we were so young so many years ago , as we have spent our time in that Asian war and survived , unlike some of our brothers / sisters , who didn't come home .

And now there are those who claim to be what many of us were and are , guess time tells who the low lifes are , again ! :sick:

Semper Fi to my Vietnam brothers as there are less of us here each day ! :iwo:

There are less because of being exposed to Agent Orange.......lost my Marine because of it. The VA rated him at a total of 240 percent.. he only needed 100 percent. The bad part is he waited so long to apply, he worked every day and could barely make it 50 ft without resting his legs. He never complained and was a strong man...

USNAviator
03-28-11, 07:00 PM
There are less because of being exposed to Agent Orange.......lost my Marine because of it. The VA rated him at a total of 240 percent.. he only needed 100 percent. The bad part is he waited so long to apply, he worked every day and could barely make it 50 ft without resting his legs. He never complained and was a strong man...

Sorry for your loss Gina and you are correct. Because of Agent Orange Viet Vets will for the most part not equal or exceed the lifespan of WW2 or Korea Vets. If the Government had been more forthcoming with the known dangers of AO perhaps lives would have been saved and the quality of life more enhanced.

HM3 Doc Wilder
04-13-11, 11:29 AM
I Agree With You Allan. Sometimes I Feel So Guilty Going To Bay Pines For My Arthritis And I See My Brothers Who Are Maimed Or Who Lost A Limb Somes I Look At Them And Cry Saying To Myself What The Hell Am I Doing Here They Need The Appointment More Than I Do>

Semper Fi My Brother

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf......But Stephen,You Got Wounded-Just saw your Post on Hot Mail-You Survived A wound that Most People Don't.I only Feel Guilty Because I was Trained to be Out There-but for some reason-God or the Chief at the Bas-after 13 months in a Weapons Company-where I was At Camp Pen-spared me-and I admit-I was Afraid-therefore even though I saved lives in Nam-I don't know if My Worth was Really Tested-because of my 17 months of Training at Camp Pen-I'll Tell Ya-I feel Ashamed-because I could have been a Real Corpsman.Maybe a Dead Corpsman.If 1 Million,8 Hundred Thousand Vietnam Vets Have Died -after Vietnam-Something is Very Wrong Here....God Bless You Stephen.