PDA

View Full Version : 80 military doctors complete internships

thedrifter
06-29-07, 05:04 PM
80 military doctors complete internships

05:43 PM EDT on Friday, June 29, 2007

Reported by: Mike Gooding

Years of study and hard work came to a conclusion for the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth intern class of 2007.

For some of these 76 Naval and four Air Force officers, it will mean duty in direct harm's way, like Iraq, where more than 25,000 American service personnel have been wounded in four years of war.

Most of the physicians have been involved in their own higher education studies and medical training for 8 to 10 years now, and they're ready to finally practice their crafts in real-world settings.

"Your job is to save lives, heal people, to improve their quality of life,” said Lt. Gen. Robert Blackman, Jr. 27-year-old Lieutenant Joseph Kotora plans to do just that when he and the 2nd Batallion/8th Marines report to Ramadi Iraq November 1st.

"I plan to be an emergency medicine physician, and as far as I'm concerned EMS doctors and ER doctors got to be where the bullets are flying,” said Lt. Kotora, MD. “And that's where I think I'm going to get my best training and be the best resource to the Marines and the U.S. Navy."

Others will serve state-side, but one way or another, all will serve.

"You know we have all of these people here who are willing to serve their country, and I think it's an honor for us to be able to serve those people who serve their country,” said Lt. Manish Singla, MD.

Begun in 1935, the intern program at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth is the oldest medical training program in the U.S. Navy.

This is fitting, since the old Portsmouth Naval Hospital, built in 1830, is the nation’s oldest naval hospital.

Ellie