thedrifter
06-30-07, 05:33 AM
Wounded warrior battalion activated

HOPE HODGE
June 30, 2007 - 12:00AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

http://www.jdnews.com/pictures/1183178911-marineflag.jpg

THE DAILY NEWS / JOHN ALTHOUSE
Unit stands up: Sgt. Maj. John M. Jarrell, left, and Lt. Col. Thomas C. Siebenthal uncase the colors for the East Coast Wounded Warrior Battalion at Camp Lejeune on Friday.

A crowd gathered Friday aboard Camp Lejeune to recognize an historic event: the standing-up ceremony of the first East Coast Wounded Warrior Battalion.

The mood was congratulatory among the crowd of military spouses and families, proud veterans and members of the community. A light breeze from the New River made the guidons and colors of the battalion wave boldly as they were unfurled before two newly created companies. The Second Marine Aircraft Wing Band struck up the national anthem as all stood at attention.

"This represents in my mind all that the Marine Corps is known for, and that is action," said guest of honor Lt. Gen. Keith Stalder, commanding general of the II Marine Expeditionary Force.

It was the actions of Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell, his wife Shannon and many others that helped make the day happen. When Maxwell was wounded in a rocket attack in Iraq on October of 2004, he realized what wounded warriors like him needed: support, adequate medical care, camaraderie with others who have been wounded and a place to recover.

In response to these needs, Maxwell worked to promote a Wounded Warrior Barracks at the base, which was christened Maxwell Hall in 2005. Friday's designation of a battalion will allow his efforts on behalf of wounded Marines and sailors to reach even further.

"Our chain of command is more structured now," said 23-year old Cpl. Jason Brisken, who was wounded by shrapnel in Ramadi, Iraq, when he got caught in an ambush. "It goes a lot higher than it did."

One of the 102 current wounded warriors, Brisken said many members of his battalion want to recover quickly to return to their old battalions or move on with their lives. But all appreciate having time and a place to recover.

"You don't want to leave the Marine Corps still broken," Brisken said.

Cpl. Jason Bingham, 22, said having an actual unit is nice because it lets those who can provide help know where to find the recovering troops.

Bingham, who still leans on a cane because of a shrapnel injury that broke his fibula in three places, said he appreciates the unit because "you can talk about what you've been through."

In the hour-long ceremony, the list of recognitions continued: nonprofit organizations such as Hope for the Warriors - a support network begun by Shannon Maxwell and friend Robin Kelleher - the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society, the USO and others; private businesses that had provided support and in-kind donations; and the many individuals who had advocated on behalf of warriors in recovery.

Reviewing Officer Lt. Col. Thomas Siebenthal, who has been given command of the Wounded Warriors Battalion, pointed out the significance of the two companies of Marines from the 8th Regiment who stood in formation in the glistening heat, representing the new battalion.

"It's symbolic that we have healthy Marines representing the wounded," he said.

For him, that is what the Wounded Warriors Battalion is about - everyone working together to serve the wounded and recovering and to meet the needs of them and their families.

"It's a model for the Department of Defense and the nation," Stalder said.

And what has begun in Lejeune will soon be spread nationwide: The West Coast Wounded Warrior Battalion will stand up as a unit on Aug. 1 at Camp Pendleton in California.

Contact Hope Hodge at hhodge@freedomenc.com or (910) 353-1171, ext. 8452.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-30-07, 06:12 AM
Wounded Warrior Battalion-East stands up <br />
By Trista Talton - Staff writer <br />
Posted : Friday Jun 29, 2007 16:14:11 EDT <br />
<br />
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — The well-tuned band played on cue, and the colors were...

thedrifter
07-02-07, 07:35 AM
A home for injured Marines <br />
Wounded Warrior Battalion-East stands up <br />
By Trista Talton - ttalton@militarytimes.com <br />
Posted : July 09, 2007 <br />
<br />
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — The well-tuned band played on cue,...

jetdawgg
08-02-07, 09:43 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/mhwm2.jpg

Koble_USMC
08-23-07, 12:01 PM
I was fortunate enough to attend the standing up of the Wounded Warrior Battalion West. SgtMaj Kassel was the guest of honor. Its a wonderful thing to retain these Marines in service. Whenever you think your having a tough day, all you have to do is talk to one of these Marines and they will totally change your outlook. This is an important step to taking care of our Marines.

MarineMomB
08-23-07, 04:15 PM
My daughter, Taylor Batten, was so very lucky to be a guest of Lt. Col. Maxwell this spring and she got the extreme honor of being at the Wounded Warrior Barracks for a week. Visiting with those young warriors was a true gift. Now while my daughter may only be 13, she is a wounded warrior herself and she has a deep understanding of these guys. Some of them willingly talked with her about their wounds, showed and compared scars and treated her how they want to be treated, not only as a wounded person, but as a person. These guys have gone through some pretty incredible and horrible things, yet they continue on. They continue to fight, they continue to look forward.

My little Gunny was able to give out motivation to some of them, but they ALL in turn gave HER motivation to fight her fight. How amazing is that? It is true, Marines taking care of Marines.......nothing is a better feeling then that.

It is a glorious thing in knowing that these men are recognized and that their needs are being taken care of. I am not talking daily food needs and such, but a much deeper need. A need to know they are not alone, a need to know that someone else knows exactly how they are feeling. A need to know they are not a wound or a number, but a human. Not once did I see one of them let their wounds define who they are in a negative way, I saw just the opposite.

Each of those warriors showed my little one how to fight, how to be strong and how to keep going. They showed the real meaning of Honor, Courage and Commitment.

Thank you so much for posting these stories!

Ironrider
08-23-07, 08:01 PM
Is there some way the rest of us can get involved?

Koble_USMC
08-23-07, 08:14 PM
Is there some way the rest of us can get involved?

Glad you asked...below is a link to the Marine Corps Wounded Warrior website. It supports not only Marines, but there families as well. I have had some Marines I know benefit from the services of this organization.

http://www.woundedwarriors.org/

Semper Fidelis,

Lt

fontman
08-23-07, 08:56 PM
http://www.hopeforthewarriors.org/programs.html

MarineMomB
08-25-07, 02:56 PM
You beat me to the Hope For The Warriors link! This is WONDERFUL and was cofounded by Lt. Col. Maxwell's wife, Shannon. They are in the process now of a MAJOR fundraising for the Wounded Warriors. I can not say enough good things about this organization, as I was able to see first hand some of the things that have been done for this warriors and some of the things that are going to be done for them because of this.