PDA

View Full Version : Lauralton grad heads to Annapolis

thedrifter
06-29-07, 09:57 AM
Lauralton grad heads to Annapolis
BILL McDONALD bmcdonald@ctpost.com
Connecticut Post Online
Article Last Updated:06/28/2007 12:04:20 AM EDT

MILFORD — Kim Rogers used to be a lead singer in musicals performed at Lauralton Hall. Now, she is stepping into her next role as a U.S. Marine after getting accepted to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis.

"They are a breed apart. You are not a soldier or sailor but a Marine," Rogers said in a recent interview at home.

She was expected to report Wednesday for an arduous "Plebe Summer," and not expecting to return to Milford until Thanksgiving.

Rogers, 19, believed a year of Naval Reserve officer's training at Northeastern University has paved the way to acceptance at the prestigious Naval Academy.

Because of a question about a case of childhood asthma, the acceptance wasn't official until June 18, giving her less than a week to get ready for a busy summer.

"It's such an honor to get to attend the Naval Academy," Rogers said. "I'm glad I spent a year someplace else to get an idea what I'm getting into."

Rogers, who sang featured parts in "Kiss Me Kate" and "Little Shop of Horrors," as a junior and senior, respectively, became interested in the Marines after a friend described their close-knit fraternity and dedication.

The Marines are an arm of the U.S. Navy.

When it came time to decide on higher education, she wanted in a Northeast city, so she chose Northeastern University in Boston since it was the only one on the list with a Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps program. This would send her through four years learning naval regimen, paid for by the federal government.

But Annapolis was always a grander goal, even though she wasn't sure if she could get in.

"Before I entered Northeastern, I decided to try for Annapolis for the following year," she said. "I wanted to keep that option open in case I really liked ROTC.

"To be honest, I wasn't really expecting to get in," she added.

But the year at Northeastern swung it. She ended the year as the best among 30 freshmen in the program based on academics, physical fitness scores and leadership skills.

And along the way she rubbed elbows with Marine aspirants by joining the Semper Fi Society, so-named from the U.S. Marines motto "Semper Fidelis" (Always Faithful). Her regimen included rising at 5:45 a.m. three times a week for calisthenics and drills, as opposed to once a week required of regular midshipmen.

"We called it camaraderie through shared hardship," Rogers said.

Kevin Liddy, a 1978 Naval Academy graduate and Planning and Zoning Board vice chairman, was the local Blue and Gold officer guiding her through the arduous, paper-filled application process.

"The last student from Milford who went to the Naval Academy was Joe Murphy from Foran [High School] in 2004," Liddy said. "So someone from Milford doesn't get in every year."

He noted that U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-3, is allowed to recommend one outstanding student each year for each service academy.

"That's pretty tough competition realizing the 3rd Congressional District has about 25 towns," Liddy said.

"Kim knows what she wants," he said. "She's personable and likeable. You'd want to serve on board a ship or anywhere else with her."

Donna Gibson, Rogers' senior English teacher, wrote recommendations for her former student and sent them both to the academy and the congresswoman.

"She's multi-talented. She sings, performs, is a hard worker, an excellent student," said Gibson. "She sets goals for herself and works hard to meet them." That's what impressed me, that she waited to start the process" for Annapolis. "She knows what she wants to do."

Ellie