PDA

View Full Version : Ready for their mission

thedrifter
06-29-07, 06:36 AM
Ready for their mission

CHRISSY VICK
June 29, 2007 - 12:00AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

They may not have thrown their hats or worn caps and gowns, but the Naval Hospital's family medicine residency graduates were just as happy to be finished.

Six Naval officers completed their residency through the hospital's three-year program, while six others received certificates for completing their first year through an internship.

Rear Adm. Adam Robinson Jr., commander of the National Naval Medical Center at Bethesda, Md., and guest speaker for the graduation, reminded residents of their mission - force health protection from the battlefield to the clinic.

"The mission is very simple: Take care of those who have worn the cloth of our nation," he said. "We have to remain patient-centered in everything we do."

The fully accredited residency program has been offered at the hospital since 2003 and incorporates inpatient and outpatient medicine. Residents provide medical care to their own patients and gain experience in emergency, trauma, obstetrics, pediatrics, surgery, dermatology and other areas of medicine.

Students do 13 four-week rotations, creating a program that residents said was challenging but rewarding.

"The scope of everything we learn here is so broad, and I think they do a good job of preparing us," said Lt. Cmdr. Leah Soley, who was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal for her work as a chief resident after graduating Friday.

She said she did more than just further her knowledge in the family medicine program.

"I learned the art of medicine from my role models here," Soley said.

Lt. Ryan Arnold, who finished his internship Thursday, said his first year as a physician was a "huge learning curve."

"It was a growing year," he said. "It was intense, but a great experience."

Capt. Mark Olesen, commander of the Naval Hospital, said the hospital strives to provide a broad experience in medicine but one that's challenging to each physician.

"It's part of our mission to not only care for the Marines and their families here in garrison, but to provide a good work force well-prepared to serve anywhere in the world," he said. "We ensure they get the right mix of patients and build good skills to refine and expand their experience."

About 36,000 patients are enrolled at the hospital, which gives physicians a broad patient base during their residency, he said. And having the program at the hospital challenges them to keep up with the latest technology.

Soley said residents benefit from the small classes and one-on-one attention from staff.

"They can tailor to our learning style better because they know us so well," she said. "We're all really close."

Thursday's graduates are going on to the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, the Naval Hospital at Cherry Point Air Station and Fleet Surgical Team-8 in Norfolk, Va.

"It's very bittersweet for me," said Cmdr. Steven Kewish, program director. "I'll miss them all, but I'm glad to see everyone who worked hard being successful."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie