PDA

View Full Version : Body of Army Cpl. Karen N. Clifton makes final journey home to Mount Zion

thedrifter
06-29-07, 06:32 AM
Body of Army Cpl. Karen N. Clifton makes final journey home to Mount Zion
By HUEY FREEMAN - H&R Staff Writer

DECATUR - In solemn silence, seven soldiers wearing black trench coats against the drizzle marched a few steps forward to slide the flag-draped casket out of the chartered jet and onto a platform at the plane's door.

The soldiers carried the casket with the remains of Army Cpl. Karen N. Clifton a few yards to a black hearse, which bore the seal of the Army.

About 25 family members and hundreds of supporters were at Decatur Airport on Thursday morning to witness the homecoming ceremony for Clifton, 22, who was killed in Baghdad one week earlier.

A military police officer with the 18th MP Brigade, based in Germany, the Mount Zion native has been posthumously awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, as well as promoted to the rank of corporal.

A Mount Zion police squad car and fire engines from several area departments created a mile-long procession to accompany the hearse from the airport to a Mount Zion funeral home. Thousands lined the route, many–;holding–;U.S. flags and signs such as "Thank You For Your Sacrifice."

Inge Henderson, mother of a soldier serving her second overseas tour, was at the airport with fellow members of Operation Enduring Support, a Decatur-based military family group. She said the group was there to show Clifton's family that they loved them.

"I need to be out here today to support the family, in the hope I won't have to do the same thing for my own daughter, who is over there right now," Henderson said. "There, but for the grace of God, go I. I just think the families that lose their soldiers need to know there are those out here who care."

Carol Cooley, mother of Army Staff Sgt. Terry Blankenship, recalled when she heard that her son was injured in Iraq. He has since recovered from his wounds and is preparing for another deployment.

"I know what they're going through," Cooley said. "It might have been my son. By the grace of God, he is alive, especially after the ambush. I think everybody should support these young people defending our country."

A group of employees and retirees of Mount Zion High School - where the fallen soldier attended and her father, Douglas, is employed - were at the airport an hour before the flight arrived.

"I had to come," said Rita Burton, whose daughter served a tour in Iraq with the Illinois National Guard. "I've been to several of these. Being a parent that had a daughter over there, I can't imagine what they are going through."

Linda Chaney, a retiree from the high school, said both her sons have served in the Army and her grandson recently joined the Marines.

"My heart goes out to everyone who has children anywhere in the service right now," she said. "The war is hitting so close to home. There's nothing more important than supporting the military."

A contingent of Patriot Guard Riders was at the airport, forming flag lines on both sides of a lane for the procession to pass through. Then the group joined the procession, riding its 19 motorcycles to the funeral home, partly in a downpour. The group attends the funerals of service members killed in action, sometimes shielding the services from a Kansas-based group that protests military funerals.

"Our purpose is to show honor and respect to the family and the service members who have given their lives and to let them know we appreciate their sacrifice," said Ken Brumley, a Patriot Guard regional captain.

Kerrie Ward, a friend of Chris Hancock, Clifton's mother, stood at attention in the Patriot Guard Riders line at the airport, holding a large flag. Ward, not a member of the Riders, said she met Clifton when she was a little girl, and she looked just like her mother.

"I think it's important to honor all of our troops," Ward said. "No matter how they got hurt and got killed, we need to bring them all home this way, with honor. Alive or dead, they need to have this."

Huey Freeman can be reached at hfreeman@herald-review.com or 421-6985.

Ellie