PDA

View Full Version : Marine says Texas broke its promises

thedrifter
06-29-07, 06:15 AM
Marine says Texas broke its promises

11:55 PM CDT on Thursday, June 28, 2007

By Vicente Arenas / 11News

As a 20-year-old Marine from Houston, Sgt. Guillermo Sanchez didn't worry about how he would pay for his education after leaving the military.

He said the Marines promised there would special money set aside for all members of the military - thanks to the Hazelwood Act.

“Supposedly it would cover tuition and certain fees for your school,” said Sanchez.

Then came the disappointing news. He would not get the benefits after all.

He said the University of Houston-Downtown told him twice he would not qualify for help because he was a legal permanent resident when he was in the Marines -- not a citizen.

“I was very disappointed. When I enlisted, no one asked me if I was a citizen or not,” said Sanchez. “As long as I was a resident I was treated just like a citizen and now they are telling me I wasn't the same because I wasn't a citizen at the time I enlisted.”

We're told legal residents didn't have a problem qualifying for the benefits until immigrant protests a couple of years ago.

It was then, the League of United Latin American Citizens said Texas changed the rules and started disqualifying legal permanent veterans from the program.

“But the ironic thing is the federal government doesn't care if you are a permanent resident. They'll take you all the same. They don't deny you the Montgomery GI bill because you are a resident they give you the same benefits as a citizen,” said Sanchez. “It's only Texas that wants to make a distinction.

“That's just wrong.”

Sanchez is now a naturalized citizen and works for the immigration service himself. He'd like to go into the medical field, but those plans are now on hold.

The former Marine isn't giving up and plans to fight for what was promised.

Ellie