PDA

View Full Version : Nervous and on edge

SgtBigK
03-18-03, 08:01 AM
I don't know why but, I have been very much on edge these last few days. My thoughts are worrisome and have me on edge. I don't know what is happening to me. I can't stand the anti-war crowd any longer, my thoughts about them turn to violence, and I'm a tolerant person. Yesterday I heard the anthem "God Bless America", as it played I began to sing and ended up in tears and sobbing. My thoughts continue to turn to the troops. I think it may not be as easy as some are trying to say it will be. Saddam will fight to the death because he knows it is over for him. It is his last stand. I know this war must happen and my hopes for the future are positive. I want an America for my Grandkids, like I had.
Can anyone here shed some light on what is happening to me?
Am I needlessly worrying? Every day I pray for the troops and for the safety of the USA. I don't like feeling like this because I'm not a egg sucking dog liberal or a marshmello.
Thank you for letting me vent.
:cry:

wrbones
03-18-03, 08:32 AM
It's called pride. True pride has concern for others more than for self. It requires much. A committment to something other than self. A dedication to a generally held set of values that many will not comprehend. It is an emotional committment. You invest your time, yourself, your very being into such ideals as freedom, peace and liberty, not only for yourself, but for others. Anything that threatens such stability in these virtues that are held in such esteem is certain to evoke the greatest of emotions. Any time that others are put into harms way to ensure the continuation of such living words as these, you know what they sacrifice, for you have sacrificed in your turn and have seen others sacrifice as well. The higest of virtues. The symbols of those virtues. The sacrifice of others to support those virtues and symbols. The knowledge that for now, there is nothing much you can do, but watch and share that sacrifice from afar often leaves a man feeling helpless yet proud. For others have stepped up before you and others have stepped up after you, to do whatever it takes, to ensure that such virtues never, never fail from the face of the earth.

You see, you know, and in your heart, you understand....and hope that their sacrifice will not be as harsh as has been required in the past, yet the new generation has stepped up knowing what is requred of them. As will the generation after them, for if they do not, freedom will indeed perish. And your heart aches for them. With pride and with hope and with concern....for they are our children. The children of freedom. The children of our faith. A faith that says that all men should have the opportunity to be free.

How can a man not become emotional when he fully realizes what is going on in the world around him when he sees this. How can a man not become emotional and concerned with the greatest of sacrifices that may be required of those few who would fight to remain free and to offer freedom to others.

Those who fight for freedom are our brothers. As they fight now, we once fought. How can we not worry for them?

This strugggle that we face, here in our homes, others have faced before us. Hope and fear and pride. Knowing that we might have very little influence on the outcome.

This is our present lot. We must bear it, whether or not we like it. It is not abnormal at all, but reveals the true spirit of the warrior. A warrior who once struggled to ensure the continuation of those things we hold dear.

These few words cannot touch the power of what you feel, if you feel anything at all like I often feel about this conflict. I hope that they are some little comfort to you.

Semper Fidelis, Brother.

We'll come through this struggle as well.

SgtBigK
03-18-03, 09:45 AM
wrbones,

"The knowledge that for now, there is nothing much you can do, but watch and share that sacrifice from afar often leaves a man feeling helpless yet proud. "

Thank you for those words. They came at the right moment and have helped me to understand what is happening to me. This having to stand by and watch is what pains me the most. I want to help our troops and to protect them from harm.
God Bless America.

mrbsox
03-18-03, 10:06 AM
Thanks 'bones. U da man,... always coming thru.

SgtBigK... I needed that, too.

I think my tears are a combination of:

A Pride in what Iv'e done
A fear of what's to come
A regret of not being there now to help
A Love for a Country others don't appreciate
et al.....

'Greater love hath no man, than he lay down his life for his brother'

God Bless America (all together now)
Land that I love
Stand beside her
And guide her.........

You know the rest. If your eyes are full right now, God's Blessing be with you too. :marine:

Terry

Sgt Sostand
03-18-03, 10:42 AM
I thought i was the only one feeling that way well i have not been
not able to sleep at night cause my sister son is going to fight he want to be like me so he join the Marines and my sister all way tell me see what you did. it like i did something wrong,before he join he said he want to join the best so i told him the Marines i wish i could take his place and get my sister off my a**
:marine:

Jim
03-18-03, 12:30 PM
Thanks 'bones and SgtBigK, many of us share those feelings. I know I have learned that it is much harder being a Marine Dad than being a Marine. My son is one of those Marines in Kuwait awaiting the word to go. It sure would be easier for me if we could swap places. I know he is well trained, motivated and among others who will share his load as he shares theirs, but that doesn't help much as I sit and follow the news. Man it sure was easier as a young Corporal to board the plane for Nam than to watch this unfold on TV. Now I have some feel for what my Dad went through as he followed events on the evening news.

Now that these "New" breed Marines are about to become "Old" breed, maybe us old farts out to form the 1st Marine Old Fart Brigade and go lend the younger troops a hand in "taking out the trash". It sure would help my morale.