PDA

View Full Version : Shooter?

Flashgordon
06-29-07, 12:04 AM
Hey I was wondering have any of you seen the movie Shooter? What were your thoughts on the movie? My impression was not bad, I liked the fact he was a Marine sniper ;).

ggyoung
06-29-07, 11:11 AM
I don't waste my time or money by going to the movies and I damn sure I don't want to support any hollyweed a$$holes.

thedrifter
06-29-07, 11:19 AM
Daughter bought the DVD but haven't had time to watch yet....

Ellie

SkilletsUSMC
06-29-07, 09:15 PM
Short and Quick,

Lots of accuracy when it came to weapons and shooting, but it was really just a typical hollywood anti bush rant. I could have lived with it had it been a bit stronger in the pro 2nd amendment department. It seemed like they were trying to demonize the .50 BMG. All in all not a bad film, but the politics made for a few groans and moans.

One thumb up.

thedrifter
07-01-07, 11:04 AM
Watch it last night

SkilletsUSMC is on the money with this flick....;)

Ellie

BR34
07-01-07, 11:36 AM
I just saw that movie on display at the PX. I guess I'll go get it and watch it during my soon-to-be noneventful, boring 72.

jerryk
07-01-07, 03:49 PM
i never watch a flick that knocks my countru or anything that comes out of hollywood i se enought b.s.on here about politics from that guy on here named jetdagg

yellowwing
07-01-07, 04:19 PM
I haven't seen the movie. The book series by Stephen Hunter was terrific. No politics in the books, just a good story.

kato811
07-02-07, 06:30 PM
enjoyed the movie

Sgt Leprechaun
07-03-07, 05:56 PM
It was ok. Hokey in spots with too much of a dash of the typical left wing propaganda for my tastes.

However, as a potboiling thriller, the effects are well done, Mark Wahlberg puts in a more than credible performance as "the Gunny", and Danny Glover is properly menacing as the bad guy. Ned Beatty is playing the Ned Beatty role as usual. The movie holds your interest with only a few slow spots. Is it totally believeable? No. Is it a good way to kill an evening/afternoon, with lots of explosions, chases, and long range 50 caliber shots? Oh yeah.

2 & 1/2 stars.

yellowwing
07-03-07, 06:13 PM
Mark Wahlberg Born: 5 June 1971

A 36 year old Gunny is pushing it. :confused:

Sgt Leprechaun
07-03-07, 06:38 PM
Part of the movies is suspension of disbelief at times. I'm willing to do that if the movie itself goes with that premise and doesn't make it ridiculous. Wahlberg pulls it off, in my opinion, but it's a near thing I'll grant you. Still, he doesn't overplay that particular part of it, he seems comfortable in the character, which is all you can ask.

Covey_Rider
07-04-07, 03:51 AM
I thought the movie was ok. They actually did a little research when making the movie since they added details such as a fireplan sketch and calling out values. That and towards the end of the movie (not sure if anybody else made this observation) but it looks like they did some research on GySgt Carlos Hathcock. In the end on the mountain top when he shoots the last sniper after spotting the glint of sunlight off of his binoculars...then he shoots him through the scope. I forget which book it's in, it's either in "Marine Sniper" or "Silent Warrior" where GySgt Hathcock does the same thing after seeing the glint off of the opposing snipers scope. Maybe I'm just crazy though. All in all a decent movie.

BR34
07-04-07, 05:53 PM
Saw it, liked it, want to get a .308 with high power optics now.