PDA

View Full Version : Mcsf

119Wrestler
06-28-07, 08:58 PM
MCSF can't be your primary MOS Right?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-28-07, 09:49 PM
No, it is an option that you can do with an infantry contract though. You can sign the contract, do 2 years of MCSF duty and 2 years of grunt duty.

119Wrestler
06-28-07, 10:01 PM
So no matter what, you have to be a grunt?
What if you get into FAST, do you still have to do two years of Infantry?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-29-07, 12:24 AM
You have to be a grunt. I don't know if you would have to rotate back to an infantry unit if you were FAST, but it is a risk to take- no promise you'll make it to FAST and you don't seem to want to be an infantry Marine.

119Wrestler
06-29-07, 02:14 AM
Well, infantry isn't one of my favorite choices. But I wouldn't mind it. If I HAD to do infantry to be in MCSF, I would do it. But if I could take another route, I would take it, does everyone make it to MCSF?

thewookie
06-29-07, 07:00 AM
What the heck is wrong with the grunts? Everyone wants to be John freikin Wayne. If you want to be with MCSF, and/or with a FAST company or platoon then you better be a grunt. As a boot, you have to be a grunt to try out for MCSF,,, and then FAST. Actually you don't try out for MCSF, it's something you can pick but you have to go there and pass the school before you can go to a FAST tryout. No questions asked. And you need to learn basic infantry skills, if you can't grasp them, then you're not going to grasp what you need to learn in MCSF, or FAST. First learn the basics, then try to expand it. FUNDEMENTALS, learn them 1st killer.

And if you make it to FAST, your not going to have enough time on your initial contract to go to the regular grunts, because by the time the get you spun up, or basically trained and ready to be in a FAST platoon, your probably only going to have 2-3 years left. You'll do a tour with FAST and it will be time to get out or re-enlist.

119Wrestler
06-29-07, 02:43 PM
So how long is a tour with FAST?

thewookie
06-29-07, 07:28 PM
2,3,4 years, usually 3 years, could be 5, might be 1, and if you can't hack it it's zero, zip, zilch, nada, no time for you GI.

Remember this, everything is subject to change, nothing is the same as before, and everyone knows everything.

119Wrestler
06-29-07, 08:53 PM
Oh ok, so theres a chance you don't even go back to the infantry like you said.
Alright
thank you. =]

Sgt D
06-30-07, 12:09 AM
It doesen't take that long to get into FAST. You would be selected after Security Forces School. I know at least 6 people that were in FAST on there first term. They joined up with us in the fleet with about 1 1/2 years left on there contract. The only other way to get in is to do 4 years in another MOS and re-enlist into a Security Forces Billet. Career Marines aren't required to be 03's. I don't recomend that because you would have to learn everything from the ground up in a leadership position. You could still re-enlist back into a Security Forces Billet after your year and a half in the fleet infantry, and know what's going on.

119Wrestler
06-30-07, 01:15 AM
How can that be though? THe Wookie said that a tour with FAST is 3 years usually. And earlier in a message he said, after all the training and you finally get into FAST, there should be like 2-3 yrs left on your contract? So if its 3 years in a tour, and 3 years left on your contract how can you back to being a grunt?

thewookie
06-30-07, 03:58 AM
There's no exact rule for this question that you want answered. Situations change, scenarios are different, it's all about each individual and what the needs of the Corps are. You can't have it black and white here, it just isn't like that. This isn't burger king we're talking about. If your a boot, like you're going to be, then your initial tour with FAST will probably be 3 years. Why, because after you've done boot camp, soi, and mcsf basic school, and then if you make a FAST tryout, you're only going to have about 3 years left on an initial 4 year contract. Lets break that down nice and clean - 3 months of boot camp, 2 months of soi, 2 months of mcsf basic, that's roughly 7 months, sprinkle in some leave, some hurry up and wait time, and your left with about 3 years. What part of 3 freikin years don't you understand?

And those guys Sgt. D is talking about, that's their story, your story might not be the same. Maybe they were 5 year initial contract guys, because it seems odd to me that they went back to the fleet with 1.5 yrs left, but who knows. The decisions made by superiors, and others in the Corps will rarely make sense to you. Everyone is different, my initial tour was 3 years, why, I dunno, but they offered it to me at the MEPS when I went in, and I took it. Then I extended for a year to go to MCSF in Greece, and then I re-enlisted for 4 more years to go work/teach for MCSF schools. That's my 8 years on active duty, but I bet it's not the same as the next guy. Nothing is the same, the framework is there but the exact process isn't always the same.

Finish High School, then sign the bottom line, and then come back and tell us how it went for you. But remember, it's not about you, it's all about the Marine Corps, they make the rules, change the rules, and have no rules. Your just a long for the ride.

Semper Fi Marines

119Wrestler
06-30-07, 04:08 AM
Alright thank you.
I got everything I needed to know.

119Wrestler
06-30-07, 04:12 AM
Oh and is 0311 or MCSF fast promoting?
I'm just wondering.

thewookie
06-30-07, 04:36 AM
if you rate a promotion you'll get it. We, the Marines, promote those who show the ability to lead. This isn't the Army or Navy where you can take a test. You need to be a leader and not a **** head, if you lead, promotions will come. But to answer your question more directly, the grunts are typically the slowest, or one of the slowest to promote. Now that might have changed since I've got out, and since we're at war. But generally speaking if you looking for fast promotions go to another MOS, or go over to Iraq, because I'm sure some guys are picking up rank fast over there, but not because they want it that way. Rank is a process of time, you need time in service and grade to get to the next level, it isn't a guaranteed thing, well maybe PFC and LCpl are. But after those gimmies, you better be on point if you want to move up further.