PDA

View Full Version : Usmc Fast

119Wrestler
06-28-07, 03:10 AM
I found out about the MOS 8154. It seemed interesting, but I was wondering, do you need to go to SERE SChool? And do they guard a ship the whole time, or get deployed also?
Thank you.

thewookie
06-28-07, 06:49 AM
8154 is a CQB team member, typically they support MCSF FAST Platoons or they augment a MCSF detachment or station. No more ships for MCSF, that ended a while ago. To earn an 8154 MOS, you need to go to the school and graduate. Which is easier said then done. This is a "B" billet, a special assignment and not a primary MOS. My last job in the Corps was teaching for CQB school at MCSF training center down in Chesapeake VA. It's a tough school, you have to be an expert with a pistol just to attend, a great PFTer, and no NJP's or any other BS like that. No cowboys allowed, just true professionals who can shoot and operate under pressure. It's a great school with plenty of trigger time behind the M-9 and M-4/MP-5. The training facilities at the training center are the best in the business, multiple live fire houses that can be re-arranged to fit the mission, a great reactive steel range built by Bill Rogers who's one of the best shooters/instructors in the world, Bill's a former FBI special agent and he's also a great man. If you want to learn how to shoot, go see Bill! But SERE isn't a requirement for this school, why would it be? Surprise, Speed, and Violence of Action are a CQB teams basic philosophy. CQB team members can obviously be captured, as anyone in harms way could be, but typically if a team's going in they're going in to protect or recapture an asset, or eliminate a bad guy(s) in a hostage scenario. If one of them gets captured the whole mission has failed and something has gone terribly wrong, which it can. But it's not very likely with these guys. So SERE is a good school for a team members tool box but it's definitely not required.

Semper Fi Marines!
Sgt. V

thewookie
06-28-07, 12:23 PM
One more thing I forgot to mention, why bother asking if Marines are deployable? Especially infantry Marines or anything related to. We are a fighting force in constant readiness, we deploy. If you're worried about being deployed, not saying you are, but if that's what makes you tick find another branch.

thewookie
06-28-07, 05:40 PM
I got a private message earlier from this guy 119Wrestler and once I got done typing my book response to him, I thought I should cut & paste, and post my response to him here, on this thread, so that it might help someone else. I hope that makes sense....

Semper Fi Marines

Lets see what I can do to help you. The way it would be for you, as a new recruit, 1st graduate boot camp, then go to SOI (School of Infantry, that means you have to go in, your primary MOS should be 0311, if you pick any other 03 MOS you could be **** outa luck, why, there are plenty of 0311's so it's easier to get out of the regular grunts and on special assignment,,, unless things have changed in a big way and you somehow manage to get it into your initial contract) at SOI you can probably pick MCSF and possibly FAST. It's doubtful that you're going to be guaranteed FAST, well they might say you are but if you don't get through MCSF school, and/or if you don't do well there, then you'll be a basic security force Marine at any one of the many duty stations for those guys, which isn't the worst thing in the world but it's not your mission. The cream of the crop from MCSF basic school get a tryout for FAST. It's not your right unfortunately, and there's sometimes favoritism just for a tryout, so shut up and do what your told. This is the most direct route possible to go to FAST--boot camp-soi-mcsf basic school-fast. Once your at FAST, and if your good, a good shooter, a good pt'er, a good Marine, then they'll send you back to Chesapeake to CQB school and then if you graduate you'll have the mos 8154. Long road ahead my friend. The route isn't easy and it's filled with landmines along the way. Stay out of trouble now, and when you go in and you'll increase your chances for anything you put your mind towards. FAST indoc requires some heavy background checks because of the nature of the work they do so don't be a fool now in high school. If your in trouble with the law, or if your some wise ass Marine after you graduate then you're going to watch others get the good schools and opportunities.

Primary MOS is grunt - 03 hundred. Any MOS designator in the 85 range is a special assignment/billet, and always secondary to your primary MOS. Security Forces, 8152 is a special assignment also.

You have a good PFT score for a civilian but you need to work on at least a 299 or better, and do it consistently to think about FAST. Those boys run, and they run, and they run with a lot of gear on. Sounds like your at a good point now physically, especially if your a wrestler, (I wrestled at 130 in HS,) but by the end of boot camp you should be looking for a 295 or better to get a serious look by the FAST people.

Your probably not learning anything hunting that's going to help you with a pistol or sub-machine gun like you'll use with FAST. It's good that your not afraid of a little bang, bang but don't confuse the two.

Recon isn't any way shape or form like FAST. I wasn't recon, I worked with, and trained a few of them so I really can't speak for it. However, if you want that then you better be aqua man, no kidding. And then you better be great at everything else. Most guys have at least 4 years in before they go to recon, at least the successful ones because you need some time to learn the ropes of a basic grunt first. My suggestion would be to get FAST under your belt and then see how you feel about the next level, recon is the next level from FAST.

I tend to put it this way to people, think of recon like you think of an all star pro athlete in any sport, they're great and they're gifted to get to that level, more guys fail then ever succeed. It's part mental, part physical, and also part luck. Don't get caught up in the recruiter or movie hype because you might be disappointed, those guys in recon can really swim naturally better then most, I know a lot of guys that were good swimmers and went that route, and never made it past the pool. So get boot camp(1st), soi, mcsf schools under your belt, then try to get to FAST, and then see what happens. Good luck, your smart, your smart to get your questions answered now in this forum, recruiters are nice but they're kind of like salesmen, be careful.

Oh, and I almost missed the tough part, any school or job in the Marine Corps is only as tough as you let it be, there's not a thing that's tougher then what you let it be. I can't really answer that question any different then that because I never failed any school, and you can see from my profile that I went to a few. I saw guys fail so I guess some schools were tough, but for them. If your going to be going into the Marines the first thing you have to realize is no matter how tough it gets or feels, some other mother ****er has already done it many times before, and it was probably much tougher. So shut up and suck it up. It's really about heart, and no matter what you are, or who you are, you don't learn what heart truly is until you have graduated from Marine Corps boot camp. And FAST, much like recon isn't just about one particular school. It's about a career of learning and overcoming odds, your odds and their odds. It's only as tough as you perceive it to be. I can tell you it won't be easy :)

Ask as many questions as you want but don't bull **** me, and don't bull **** yourself.

Hey thanks for the FAST info. I was wondering though, what schools do I have to go to? And is the school really tough like Recon School? Because right now I'm only a freshman in High School, and I have a 291 PFT score, and all I do is read, think, dream, eat everything Marine Corps.I wrestle, so the physical part would'nt be a problem. I hunt, so I have a pretty good shot. And you also told me that FAST is a secondary MOS, whats the primary MOS? Secuirty Guard?
Thank you
Daniel :usmc:

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-28-07, 06:07 PM
Great answer wookie. The only thing I don't agree with one million percent is that recon is a step up from FAST. In my dealings with Marines from both places, they are on the same level. It is more like an all-star football player when compared to an all-star baseball player. There are some differences, but they're both the best at what they do.

thewookie
06-29-07, 06:38 AM
I agree, but I still sorta think FAST isn't on the same feild as Recon, FAST might do some of the things that Recon does, but a Recon Marine, in my opinion is much more talented, trained, and gets better missions then a FAST company Marine. But I've been out for a while and I hear FAST is getting some good missions lately so maybe I'm a little old school on that? Also, I take nothing away from FAST when I say that, FAST just has a different mission because of who they work for, i.e. MCSF, I'm not sure who recon works for nowadays but they get much better missions then FAST does, I'd assume. I do 100% agree that they're the best at what they do, they don't get more specialized training then those guys, except for maybe a MEUSOC? Semper Fi

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-29-07, 01:04 PM
Recon and FAST do have different missions. Force is becoming the SOCOM units for the Marine Corps while FAST is what they always have been. If I need a GOPLAT taken down, I'll call recon every time. But, if Hajii has captured me, I wouldn't be at all disappointed to learn that the FAST guys are going to be the ones coming through the door.

119Wrestler
06-29-07, 02:51 PM
Recon is kinda like Navy SEALs right? And FAST is kinda like...... SRT?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-29-07, 03:08 PM
No, Recon is like Recon and FAST is like FAST. They don't exist to act like someone else. If other people could do the mission the Marine Corps wouldn't fund these groups. It isn't like the USMC has trillions of dollars to throw at pet projects- we're not the Army or Navy.

119Wrestler
06-29-07, 03:44 PM
True True, I was just wondering.
Thats true though.
Thanks for all the help
=D

jpmarvin
07-03-07, 11:20 AM
You can't compare FAST and Recon....Coming from a FAST member of four years, I would never try to compare myself to the Recon Marines. I guess in the scheme of things FAST is considered Special Forces, but it really isn't. That is one thing that we always told the new members.

As you stated, 8154 is a CQB member, and they do not need SERE school. The only way to become a CQB member is to go through CQB School. Greatest school that the Marine Corps has to offer, in my opinion. Have a good one guys.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-03-07, 01:17 PM
JPMarvin, i think you all under estimate yourself.

thewookie
07-03-07, 06:34 PM
I don't really think he's underestimating anything truthfully, there are some major differences between the two. Major. I hesitated to say it more vocally earlier because I was pretty sure that some seasoned FAST guy would step up to confirm that. On the surface they may seem similar but Recon in general is much farther up the chain of command, and in a much higher "tier" then FAST company. FAST company is very good at what they do, but, they work for MCSF. If anyone is getting the call in a hostage situation or something similar, it would be Recon Marines from the DAP (direct action platoon) first, not FAST, let's be honest. I bet DAP would get the call to go in, not to just secure a perimeter, but to go into a hostage situation on a MCSF installation, if fact I can almost guarantee that. Unless it was a time sensitive operation and DAP wasn't available or able to meet the mission requirements due to some time issue. DAP Marines are usually seasoned Sgt's and above, FAST company has a lot of PFC's and LCpl's who are good, very good, but they're not even close to a DAP. And like I said, I really have nothing but respect for both of those units but having worked with and/or trained members of both, I know there's a major, major difference. But of course that's just some old Marines opinion! And I agree, CQB school is a great school, and I really miss the days I was lucky to have the title as a CQB instructor, what fun we used to have!

Semper Fi Marines

Assaultman
08-27-07, 01:28 PM
Lots of good info here. Wookie you're dead on with what you're saying.

JCam0331
08-27-07, 03:04 PM
One more thing I forgot to mention, why bother asking if Marines are deployable? Especially infantry Marines or anything related to. We are a fighting force in constant readiness, we deploy. If you're worried about being deployed, not saying you are, but if that's what makes you tick find another branch.

and that other branch shouldnt be the US Army either...and their 15 month deployments (ugh) lol

JCam0331
08-27-07, 03:05 PM
Recon is kinda like Navy SEALs right? And FAST is kinda like...... SRT?

In terms of expertise and skill (this is not coming from me this is coming from a Recon Corporal I know), Recon can be compared to the US Army Rangers, while FORCE Recon can be compared to the SEALs

thewookie
08-27-07, 03:40 PM
Lots of good info here. Wookie you're dead on with what you're saying.

Thanks bro, Semper Fi

And for what it's worth, I think comparing them all is like splitting hairs, to be honest. But we all do it,,,, so,, I'd take FAST over the Rangers any day. Never mind MEUSOC or whatever they call them these days. Rangers bring that air element, and Ranger school, and have more operational experience then FAST. But the bottom line for me I guess is, I'll still take well trained infantry Marines any day, and twice on Sundays.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-27-07, 04:20 PM
Wookie, I still disagree due to my dealings with the Marines in question- but it has been a while. While you're right that FAST wouldn't be the first one to get the call, that doesn't take away their ability to perform the mission- and in my opinion, they're more than capable.

As for Rangers, I have said often that they're on par with a good Marine regiment that happens to have the ability to jump. I may be under representing them a hair, but hell- they're not Marines. And I think everyone here would take a Marine over a Soldier with the same ability and background.

thewookie
08-27-07, 05:51 PM
Wookie, I still disagree due to my dealings with the Marines in question- but it has been a while. While you're right that FAST wouldn't be the first one to get the call, that doesn't take away their ability to perform the mission- and in my opinion, they're more than capable.

As for Rangers, I have said often that they're on par with a good Marine regiment that happens to have the ability to jump. I may be under representing them a hair, but hell- they're not Marines. And I think everyone here would take a Marine over a Soldier with the same ability and background.

Like I said it's like splitting hairs. And I'm not going to tell you they suck or your experience doesn't matter. I'm just glad we have men who'll make those sacrifices. They're all on my side!

JCam0331
08-27-07, 05:55 PM

Well what the Rangers are supposed to be are an expert, elite light infantry regiment.

Although they are under the command of USSOCOM, they are not really special operation forces.

I would not be surprised if a very experienced and very skilled Marine Infantry Regiment were as competent as the 75th is.

What I especially like about the 75th Ranger Regiment is that a soldier can be removed from the unit for "lack of motivation"

wow what an awesome way for a CO to keep a unit sh*tbag-free.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-27-07, 09:12 PM
Yeah, they can be removed for a lack of motivation. But, then they go to a regular infantry unit and everyone thinks they're God-like because they have the ranger tab.

But, I'd bet they have the same 10 percent as every other unit.

JCam0331
08-27-07, 09:45 PM
Yeah, they can be removed for a lack of motivation. But, then they go to a regular infantry unit and everyone thinks they're God-like because they have the ranger tab.

But, I'd bet they have the same 10 percent as every other unit.

Yeah until your peers find out you got removed for lack of motivation...in my eyes that would cancel out that hard earned tab

thewookie
08-28-07, 06:26 AM
Yeah until your peers find out you got removed for lack of motivation...in my eyes that would cancel out that hard earned tab

Lack of motivation, that's a vague term. We can do that in the Corps. It might not be some written rule, which IMO is even better. But if someone isn't performing or their poor attitude is taking the team/unit down then someone will deal with them. Especially in that type of unit. That whole rule sounds like some recruiter sell thing, "hey, we're hard, and if you're not motivated then they'll send you back to the grunts, you betcha." BFD A good Marine Lance Corporal is going to deal with motivation problems at the fire team level. And when they can't, the Corporals and Sergeants will. Where do sh*t bags go in the Corps, to working parties. Some slide by but for the most part we police ourselves very well, so we don't need those stupid rules.

That's another reason why the Rangers are only like FAST, it's more of a mass produced warrior. Recon, Seals, Delta, those guys don't have motivation problems.

Could you think of a Marine that was dual cool, had all the schools in their pocket. But is sent back to the grunts becuase of a lack of motivation? Hmm,,, I'm sure it happens, but it's rare.

Semper Fi Marines