PDA

View Full Version : The Dixie Chicks stepped in it this time.

wrbones
03-17-03, 07:41 PM
Fox news

Stations Boycott Dixie Chicks Over Remark

Monday, March 17, 2003

DALLAS — Natalie Maines, lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, is finding out that sometimes saying you're sorry doesn't make much of a difference.

Radio stations nationwide are boycotting the Dixie Chicks, even though Maines publicly apologized for telling a London audience last Monday: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

Maines is a Lubbock native.

In her apology Friday, Maines said: "As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect."

The words didn't carry much weight with listeners in Maines' home state and elsewhere.

"We've had a huge listener reaction and movement against the statements," said Paul Williams of KPLX-FM in Dallas-Fort Worth, the nation's fifth largest radio market.

In Kansas City, Mo., WDAF-AM set trash cans outside its offices for listeners to toss their Dixie Chicks CDs. Its Web site displayed more than 800 listener e-mails, most of them in support of the station's boycott.

After more than 250 listeners called Friday to complain about Maines' comments, WTDR-FM in Talladega, Ala., dropped the Dixie Chicks.

"The emotion of the callers telling us about their fathers and sons and brothers who are overseas now and who fought in previous wars was very specific," said Jim Jacobs, president of Jacobs Broadcast Group, which includes WTDR.

The Dixie Chicks are in Europe promoting their recent release "Home," which won a Grammy last month for Best Country Album. The group is scheduled to kick off the U.S. leg of its "Top of the World Tour" on May 1 in Greenville, S.C.

(Note:South Carolina has hosted some of the most vocal of the Support Our Troops rallies in recent weeks......)

JChristin
03-17-03, 08:00 PM
Sounds like the Entertainment Industry is being called to account for what they say. About time.

semper fi
jchristin

greensideout
03-17-03, 08:04 PM
Sounds like that Dixie Chick triped over her own "cow patty"!

Wonder how she likes standing in it now?

thedrifter
03-17-03, 08:05 PM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/picturejokes/9065.jpg

wrbones
03-17-03, 08:15 PM
Ya gotta wonder what they were thinkin'. The people (read demographics) who've made them rich and famous are historically known for staunch patriotism and baseball, Mom and apple pie.

" I think I'll go overseas, promote my next record and make disparaging remarks about the nation and people who gave me everything I own." ??????

Fine by me. Stay there.

wrbones
03-17-03, 08:17 PM
Having known a few Texans here and there, I hope they can afford 24 hour a day body guards when they go back to Texas again....not that they'll do much good.

SHOOTER1
03-17-03, 08:18 PM
Excelleant pic. Roger, I think they will find out now, what it means to open mouth and insert foot, we will know for shure at thier concert comming up.

:evilgrin:

greensideout
03-17-03, 09:10 PM
LMAO @ Drifter!

Great songs on the cover!!!

I think I've seen that guy on the accordion in the news!

Sgt Sostand
03-17-03, 10:50 PM
Nice one Drifter LOL

NEWB
03-18-03, 02:07 AM
Drifter,
Outstanding pic. If anyone wants to find out what another country musician has to say just go to www.CharlieDaniels.com. Enter the site and go to the soap box. This good ol' boy has some real eluminatin remarks.

marinemom
03-18-03, 05:17 AM
Thought I'd let you know the comment my son - instructor at SOI-West - had on this one - Somebody better tell her village in Texas that we found their idiot and they can call off the search.

David Schultz
03-18-03, 07:10 PM
She's a blonde.

usmc2cwgrl
03-18-03, 08:16 PM
ok i think if i was Pres. Bush i'd let good ol natalie maines stay over there in London. If she's so ashamed of the President no ones makin her stay in the good ol US of A! kick her and the rest of the ditzy beeyotchs out.

thedrifter
03-19-03, 07:49 AM
Singer Says Maines Comment Was Cowardly
March 18, 2003
thepittsburghchannel.com

Country superstar Travis Tritt is taking Dixie Chick singer Natalie Maines and the celebrity antiwar movement to task over recent remarks about President George W. Bush and the impending war with Iraq.

Travis Tritt said in a statement that while he's never felt it was his place as an entertainer to get in the middle of any political debate waged by other celebrities, recent comments made by some of my fellow entertainers caused him not to hold his tongue any longer.

Maines said at a Dixie Chicks' concert in London last week, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

The singer said it was cowardly for Maines to make the crack about Bush while overseas, and said, "I dare her to go to the (Houston) Astrodome and say that."

But even more, Tritt is upset that the remark was several months late. He said when it's this close to actual conflict, nobody's mind will be changed.

Maines' has since apologized to Bush for the remark on the Chicks' Web site, but fans and radio stations are still protesting the group throughout the United States.

Tritt urged that now is the time for "regular ordinary people" to get entertainers' attention by hitting them in the pocketbook.

"Celebrities have a public forum to voice their opinions, which makes folks think that they are representing the majority, when in fact they represent the minority," Tritt said in a statement. "Fans ask me all the time what they can do to be heard and I tell them the best way to have an impact is to hit'em in their pocketbook. Don't spend your money on what they're selling, be it movies, magazines or music.

Tritt acknowledged in the statement that "no one wants to go to war," but "it's the only solution to some of the complex situations like we're faced with in today's world."

The singer said after spending time with troops and their families in Ft. Bragg, N.C., that its imperative that Americans respect and support our troops overseas, whether they agree with President Bush or not.

"(I) observed both their dedication and their vulnerability. Hearing negative comments from fellow Americans -- especially those in the public eye -- is destructive and damaging to the morale of our servicemen and women and to our country in general," said Tritt. "Our military men and women are putting their lives on the line for each and every one of us and deserve nothing but our unfailing respect and support."

Tritr reassured in the statement that he's a "champion of our First Amendment privileges," but urged caution when speaking.

"I feel it is one of our God-given rights as Americans to speak our minds freely and honestly," Tritt said. "The First Amendment is one of the things that makes our country great. However, in such a fragile time in the world with that privilege comes the need to be responsible and mindful of the repercussions."

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
03-19-03, 11:49 AM
Wednesday March 19, 2003; 10:02 a.m. EST

'Blixie Chicks' Blame Conservative Web Site

A manager for the Country and Western group the Dixie Chicks is blaming the ongoing firestorm of negative reaction to anti-Bush comments by lead singer Natalie Maines last week on a vast right-wing cyber-conspiracy.

Dixie Chicks' manager Simon Renshaw has told radio stations currently boycotting the group's music that the uproar has been ginned up by the Web site FreeRepublic.com, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported Tuesday.

FreeRepublic has nicknamed the group, "The Blixie Chicks," after Saddam-friendly U.N. weapons inspector Hans Blix. Several posters to the cyber-forum have urged visitors to contact radio stations about the controversy.

"Your company is being targeted by a radical right-wing online forum," Renshaw complained in an e-mail distributed to radio stations by the Dixie Chicks' label, Sony Music. "You are being 'Freeped,' which is the code word for an organized e-mail/telephone effort attempting to solicit a desired response," he explained.

On March 10, lead Dixie Chick Maines told a London audience: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

After her remarks were reported, nationwide protests erupted in the U.S., with angry fans reportedly destroying their collections of Dixie Chicks CDs.

After four days Maines issued a semi-apology, saying her initial remarks had been "disrespectful."

"I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect," she added.

But Maines' statement did little to assuage angry Country and Western music fans, who are predominantly conservative and pro-Bush.

Sempers,

Roger

Barrio_rat
03-19-03, 12:28 PM
I guess it's easier to blame a web site than believe free thinking Americans just might not care for what she stated, let alone the venue where she chose to make her comments. I never have liked the dixie chicks and I like 'em less now. Guess I can put 'em on the "ain't allowed in my house" list along with jane the commie b.tch fonda and the footprint of the American chicken... guess there's a link there somewhere...

JChristin
03-19-03, 01:45 PM
don't forget that wonderful Roseann Barr.

like to see her sing again. I'd sit her down just right...

semper fi
jchristin

firstsgtmike
03-24-03, 11:23 AM
I hate stupidity.

Here's a quote, from an article:

By Tamara Conniff, the music editor at the Hollywood Reporter.

"Sadly, those who shun the Dixie Chicks have become exactly what they say they are not: anti-American. By burning CDs and posters and throwing verbal stones at Maines, they are violating her most important right and the foundation of this country -- her freedom of speech."

I hate stupidity.

It seems to me that some people are exercising THEIR right to freedom of speech.

Does the right belong only to those you agree with??

I think it should be pointed out that these "protesters" are destroying CDs and posters which they had previously bought and paid for. There was no distruction of public or private property in the name of "free speech".

I hate stupidity.

jerry wozny
03-24-03, 01:02 PM
ship the iraqi wackies back to saddam, they all a bunch of w**res any way.

Sparrowhawk
03-24-03, 03:29 PM
I like what you said, and how you said it.

Think I'll use your quote in my new stupid antiwar protestors web site LOL

stupidantiwarprotestors.com

LOL

Originally posted by firstsgtmike
I hate stupidity.

Here's a quote, from an article:

By Tamara Conniff, the music editor at the Hollywood Reporter.

"Sadly, those who shun the Dixie Chicks have become exactly what they say they are not: anti-American. By burning CDs and posters and throwing verbal stones at Maines, they are violating her most important right and the foundation of this country -- her freedom of speech."

I hate stupidity.

It seems to me that some people are exercising THEIR right to freedom of speech.

Does the right belong only to those you agree with??

I think it should be pointed out that these "protesters" are destroying CDs and posters which they had previously bought and paid for. There was no distruction of public or private property in the name of "free speech".

I hate stupidity.