View Full Version : Staff Sgt. Stephen John Wilson killed in Iraq

thedrifter
06-26-07, 06:40 AM
Staff Sgt. Stephen John Wilson killed in Iraq
From staff reports
Record Bee
Article Last Updated:06/25/2007 11:20:39 PM PDT

Elizabeth Wilson -- Record-Bee Staff

HIDDEN VALLEY LAKE -- A Marine bomb technician with deep ties to Lake County where he spent his teenage years died in Iraq doing the work he loved, his family said.

Staff Sgt. Stephen John Wilson was killed when an improvised explosive device detonated during military operations, leaving behind his mother, Bonnie Lou Schreiner of Hidden Valley Lake, father John Wilson of Tualatin, Oregon, and brothers James D. Wilson of Clearlake and Scott A. Wilson of Aloha, Oregon, his mother said.

Wilson, 28, died June 20 while serving on his third tour of duty with the 13th Marine expeditionary unit in Iraq near the Al Anbar province, according to the U.S. Department of Defense.

According to a press release from Gov. Schwarzenegger's office, in honor of Staff Sgt. Wilson and Sgt. Martin, state Capitol flags will be flown at half-staff.

Wilson and Sgt. Shawn P. Martin, 30, were both killed in combat that day. Wilson's mother, Bonnie Lo Schreiner said she believed it was while they were traveling on foot. "I didn't want to be filled in on all the details, because I want to remember him as he was, and not have nightmares," said Schreiner.

Schreiner was notified of her son's death by four marines who were waiting for her at her home.

Schreiner had received a phone call from a friend who told her to come home immediately. "When I asked if it was Stephen, there was dead silence and I knew," said Schreiner. She said her last contact with her son was through a phone call and an e-mail.

In April and May, Wilson was on the USS Denver, one of the 9 battle ships that received wide press coverage as they carried 17,000 Marines through the straits of Hormus into the Persian Gulf. Schreiner said Wilson kept in touch, which he always remembered to do in order to let his family know he was alright, she said.

"He just left in April on the USS Denver, and wouldn't have been home until October or November," said Schreiner. "He sent me an e-mail and said Hey mom! See that last ship on the left? That's me!' " she said. "I just had to shake my head because the last two ships were just tiny dots in the photograph. Then I got one more e-mail from him saying that he wouldn't be able to e-mail for awhile, take care, and thanks for being there for me mom,' " said Schreiner.

The family is gathering at Schreiner's home in Hidden Valley Lake to remember Stephen this week, including his father and two brothers, one of whom is local to Clearlake. "We're all very, very proud of Stephen, and very, very sad. I just wish we could have him back," said Schreiner.

Her son excelled in sports his whole life, and his skills served him well in the military, where he was awarded citations and medals during his service in the Marines. Although his mother will not know exactly what medals those included until she receives his belongings in the coming week, she knows it will include a Purple Heart, which will be presented at his service. A military press release stated that he also received a Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with combat distinction.

Wilson was a 1997 graduate of Liberty High School in Brentwood, where he excelled in soccer, he also loved playing ice hockey, baseball, bullriding, and was a member of the Future Farmers of America. Having originally grown up in Georgia, his mother said that a move out to Brentwood during his high school years left Wilson missing his friends, so she let him go back for graduation.

"I said OK, I love you so much, if you want to graduate from Liberty, then go," said Schreiner.

"The few months that he was in Georgia with me was when he signed up with the Marines. The scouts came out, and he brought the guy to my house I didn't want to let him do it, but he pleaded and pleaded with me, and I finally signed the papers for him," said Schreiner.

Schreiner subsequently moved back to California from Georgia to settle in Hidden Valley Lake in 2000, where her son liked to surprise her with visits.

Schriener remembered how Wilson loved surprising her, and told stories of how he would come to see her on a whim.

I hadn't seen him in over a year, so it was really great. He was always surprising me like that," said Schreiner.

The land mines that killed Wilson are the leading cause of death for U.S. forces. Improvised explosives account for more than 27 percent of deaths in Iraq, according to iCasualties.org, a Web site that tracks war casualties from government and military data.

As of Monday at least 3,562 U.S. military members have died since the war began in March 2003, according to a count by The Associated Press. At least 2,906 died as a result of hostile action, according to the military's numbers. The AP's count is 24 higher than that of the U.S. Department of Defense, which last reported its count on Monday.

"My take on the war is that we don't have any business in it. I didn't believe in it, but because he was involved in it we supported him 100 percent. He loved being a Marine, I think he wanted to make it his career, he'd made it his career for 10 years," said Schreiner.

"We've lost too many lives in Iraq. We're in a no-win situation over there. But we're very, very proud of Stephen and know that he died doing what he loved," said Schreiner.

Schwarzenegger's office released the following statement regarding the young soldiers' deaths.

"Serving our country is a noble task that Staff Sergeant Stephen Wilson and Sergeant Shawn Martin performed with bravery and fortitude. They courageously stood proudly beside their fellow Marines to serve our country. We send our sincerest condolences to their family and friends in Georgia and New York."

Editor's note: The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Ellie