PDA

View Full Version : Care-pack supplies prove popular in Iraq

thedrifter
06-26-07, 04:30 AM
Care-pack supplies prove popular in Iraq
By Rubi Reyes
The Daily News

Published June 26, 2007

FRIENDSWOOD — Volunteers with Supplied to Survive are helping to make life away from home as comfortable as possible for U.S. soldiers and Marines fighting overseas.

Since 2004, the group has shipped more than 500 packages to troops on active duty around the world. Its packages contain items such as phone cards, batteries, duct tape and socks. Some items even benefit soldiers in combat.

“We send about 20 packages a month to the Middle East to help the soldiers,” founder Steve Schulz said.

The organization began in November 2004 when Schulz took his son, U.S. Marine Lance Cpl. Steven Schulz, shopping for much-needed items that he could have used during his first deployment.

The elder Schulz then decided to get together with some of his friends and co-workers to form Supplied to Survive and he established contact with an officer serving in Iraq.

Even though his son no longer serves in the Marines, due to an injury sustained in Fallujah, Iraq, from a roadside bomb that damaged his leg, brain, skull and vision, Schulz and his organization still send care packages to troops in the Middle East.

Everything the group sends to soldiers must be approved by the military, he said. The group sends as many items as it can afford.

“I keep in touch with Staff Sgt. Franklyn Metz through e-mail,” he said. “He lets me know when they have received the packages and if there is anything else we can help them with.”

Metz wrote in one e-mail from Iraq: “I have had positive feedback from one of the teams that I gave an infrared floodlight to. The soldiers love it and they are accepting everything with open arms and great thanks.”

Schulz said: “We want to encourage anyone who would like to donate or who would like to get in contact with a loved one fighting in the Middle East to contact us. We will do our best to bring them together.”

Supplied to Survive helps people meet with family members who are deployed and also helps people mail items and make personal care packages for loved ones in the military.

It receives support from local churches and schools, some of which recently collected batteries to send to the troops.

The group encourages anyone who may want to send items or care packages to contact it either through e-mail or by phone.

“We sincerely thank all who have contributed to help us support our troops while deployed in the Middle East,” Schulz said.

“We are all on the same team and together we can make a difference.”

+++

WHO: Supplied to Survive

WHAT: Donates items to troops overseas.

WHERE: 317 S. Friendswood Drive in Friendswood

CONTACT: 281-992-1500, or 877-970-1500. E-mail: info(at)suppliedtosurvive.org

Ellie