PDA

View Full Version : Question On Oorah

iamcloudlander
06-25-07, 10:51 PM
I have read many times that the Marines on this site have admonished poolees wannabees and others for using the term "OORAH" as they had not earned it.
My question is this as I watch the news on tv and the newscasters go to different military bases and film the troops as they train I hear from all the branches of service saying oorah!!! Do all the branches say it as I thought it was a Marine Corps shout.

JimmyK
06-26-07, 12:44 AM
Each branch has a different variation of the war cry. The Marine corps obviously is OOORAH!. The Army says somthing like HUA! The Navy's goes soemthing like Hooyah!! and I **** you not the Air Force says Air Power!!

So your probably just hearing that branches variation of the war cry. They all sound very similiar, well except for the Air Farce's.

RLeon
06-26-07, 01:01 AM
I don't remember using oohrah after MOS school. We used "oohrah" mostly as a sarcastic reply to orders than a war cry. Our war cry was usually this gutteral shout that went something like "EEEOOOOUT". Sounded like a long version of yut. (which was described by someone as the sound a Devil Dog makes)
Oohrah always sounded generic and corny to us, it didn't seem like it inflicted fear on the enemy, plus it sounds too much like the Army's Hoo-ah.

Robert Browell
07-08-07, 01:26 PM
:evilgrin:story I heard,and OOOoorah is a fairly new responce,or greeting,whatever,is that Marines on joint exercises,70's or 80's in the Med.overheard it while watching Turkish Marines bayonet practice:yes: supposedly it is the Turkish word for kill!!:usmc:

CuppsGA
02-02-12, 12:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oorah_(Marines)

Yonkers
02-03-12, 02:49 AM
"Yut" or "rah".. the other services don't rate it.

doc h fmf
02-03-12, 04:48 AM
Adam The Only Other Service That Rates It Is The Navy With Their Docs Orrrrraaaaahhhhhh

Semper Fi My Brother

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Yonkers
02-03-12, 08:42 AM
Ahhh yes of course, sorry doc :D

SGT7477
02-03-12, 08:55 AM
Adam The Only Other Service That Rates It Is The Navy With Their Docs Orrrrraaaaahhhhhh

Semper Fi My Brother

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf
OOHRAH,Semper Fidelis.:flag: