PDA

View Full Version : 3381 food services question

combatcook
06-25-07, 05:41 PM
I was a cook for 4 years and deployed a couple of times. It was tons of fun and lots (LOTS) of hard work.

Anyway, my questions is, what is the food like in the Corps right now? I'm considering reenlisting after being out 10.

Do they still use the ol' m-2's and m-1957's? Do they still set up field mess's or do they use high speed tray-rat heaters? Somebody said they don't even work in messhalls stateside since the civies are doing all the work.

Anyway, how's the grub nowadays?

BR34
06-29-07, 07:21 PM
The chow usually sucks! And I've never seen a Marine behind the counter in a chow hall, only civilians...nasty, nasty civilians.

Flashgordon
06-30-07, 11:50 PM
Mesh, Lam yum!

iamcloudlander
07-01-07, 02:55 AM
The chow usually sucks! And I've never seen a Marine behind the counter in a chow hall, only civilians...nasty, nasty civilians.

What about bootcamp? does the lowest platoon in the series still have to pull mess duty and are there Marine cooks or the civilians also?

iamcloudlander
07-01-07, 03:00 AM
I was a cook for 4 years and deployed a couple of times. It was tons of fun and lots (LOTS) of hard work.

Anyway, my questions is, what is the food like in the Corps right now? I'm considering reenlisting after being out 10.

Do they still use the ol' m-2's and m-1957's? Do they still set up field mess's or do they use high speed tray-rat heaters? Somebody said they don't even work in messhalls stateside since the civies are doing all the work.

Anyway, how's the grub nowadays?

No putdown intended but this is the only reason I became a Marine. I was drafted a week after graduation and since all my friends that had been drafted were made cooks (all were UA when I went to boot) The Air Force wanted me but had to long of a waiting list, and couldn't stand the Navy uniform besides for four year contract the Marines offered a aviation quarantee so I took it. funny I never regreted that decision.

JimmyK
07-01-07, 08:54 AM
Here at Cherry Point its a combonation of Marine and civilians working in the chow hall.

BR34
07-01-07, 11:39 AM
What about bootcamp? does the lowest platoon in the series still have to pull mess duty and are there Marine cooks or the civilians also?

We never did that in bootcamp, SSgt. The only time I saw Marines behind the counter at bootcamp is when a D.I. was going to the head.

killerinstinct
07-02-07, 11:37 AM
they still do mess duty overseas

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-02-07, 02:49 PM
When I was in you didn't see Marines behind the serving line except for breakfast when a cook was making eggs. However, the Marines were in the back doing the actual cooking.

combatcook
08-09-07, 07:37 AM
well, here's the scoop so far. there are apparently 18 messhalls that are operated by marines, and 55 that are run by civilians with marines supervising them. There are still field messes, but some units opt for MRE's and skip the whole hot chow deal.

There was a time when Marine cooks/chefs competed in national and world competitions, but it doesn't seem like that's happenning any more. Maybe we can do something about that.

JCam0331
08-09-07, 08:06 AM

negative. civilians take care of all the food related stuff in boot camp now.