PDA

View Full Version : After lots of red tape, a Purple Heart

thedrifter
06-25-07, 07:03 AM
After lots of red tape, a Purple Heart

By JON CAMPISI
Union Leader Correspondent

LONDONDERRY – Family, friends and fellow comrades of soldiers being honored yesterday afternoon lined a room at the Marine Corps Reserve Center for a ceremony that included a visit from Sen. John Sununu.

Of the recognitions, one that stood out was the presentation of the Purple Heart to U.S. Marine Cpl. Jeremiah Leibrandt of Goffstown. The 22-year-old soldier, who joined the Marines out of high school at 17, received the distinctive honor for wounds he received while serving in Iraq on Sept. 19, 2006. Leibrandt was hit by shrapnel in the face, neck and ankle and was knocked unconscious when the vehicle in which he was riding ran over a 30-pound anti-tank mine.

A miscommunication with Marine Corps officials after his injury meant the September attack and resulting injuries were not properly documented. Sununu's office was integral in getting Leibrandt's Purple Heart approved by the President, Leibrandt said.

"I feel happy," he said in between group photos with family members after the ceremony.

"It's an honor for the whole family," former Marine Gerald Leibrandt said last month after he learned his son would receive the award. "When he got wounded, the whole family got wounded."

Leibrandt, who returned from Iraq last October and is being treated at the Manchester Veteran's Administration hospital, said it feels good to be home.

Leibrandt said he was glad most of his immediate family members could attend yesterday's ceremony.

"They were all waiting for it for quite some time, along with myself," he said.

Leibrandt said he was inspired to join the Marines by his father and a close family friend who was a Marine.

Leibrandt admitted he was rather humbled yesterday, following in the footsteps of so many other worthy individuals who have been recipients of the Purple Heart, which was first established by George Washington in 1782.

"I had to go through a lot of red tape, and Sen. Sununu's been helping me out," Leibrandt said.

U.S. Marine Lance Cpl. Timothy Dupuis was the other Purple Heart recipient yesterday. He was recognized for wounds he received in action in Iraq last year. His injuries came on the fifth anniversary of 9/11.

In addition to the two Purple Hearts given out were the awarding of two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement medals. The recipients were Marine reservists Sgt. Patrick Igo and Lance Cpl. Caleb Gilbert. The two were recognized for heroic actions while serving in Iraq.

Ellie