PDA

View Full Version : Mission accomplished

thedrifter
06-25-07, 06:42 AM
Mission accomplished

June 25, 2007
By Emily McFarlan Sun-times news group

Mission accomplished.

Response to Operation Marine Angel's mission in Iraq has been so positive, the Naperville-based group is starting up new projects, coordinator Shelly Collins said.

"All of a sudden we have so much going on," Collins said. "People ask me how we're going to get it done, and I say, 'It's OK. Let God figure it out.'"

In addition to collecting summer clothing and school supplies for Iraqi children, Operation Marine Angel is now accepting donations of clothing for all seasons and sports equipment that can be easily mailed.

She's also received another mission from her son and Operation Marine Angel co-founder, U.S. Marine Sgt. Michael Daniel-Collins.

Daniel-Collins and his squad, currently training police in Iraq, want to open an athletic center for children in cooperation with the Iraqi police. This is in addition to distributing items collected by Operation Marine Angel and adopting an orphanage.

"It's one of those things that every time Michael calls and says, 'Mother, I have a mission for you,' I dive under the desk," Collins said.

Here in Naperville, Collins began several projects of her own. She said she hopes to plan a fundraiser this summer, perhaps a benefit barbecue, and partner with local businesses to create drop-off points for donations.

And there's still the matter of the mats she's collected.

The Harwood Heights Park District donated four wrestling mats for the Iraqi police after Daniel-Collins told his mom that Marines were using their mattresses for martial arts training. The group is collecting the money -- about $400 for each mat -- to send them to Iraq.

Operation Marine Angel began last year when Daniel-Collins was deployed to Afghanistan and asked his mother to send him things he could give away instead of the care packages. The group collected and distributed seven military truckloads of clothing and school supplies to children in Afghanistan worth about $100,000 total.

"I laugh. He thinks I'm bored when he's gone," Collins said. "How can I be bored when he keeps giving me these missions?"

Ellie