PDA

View Full Version : Oil prices: You ain't seen nuthin' yet

jetdawgg
06-24-07, 01:24 PM
A couple of data points about oil.

The Wall Street Journal reports today (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118244896550143693.html?mod=todays_us_page_one) that world oil demand is growing twice as fast as last year.

The International Energy Agency, which monitors oil markets on behalf of industrialized nations, is forecasting average global oil demand of 86.1 million barrels a day this year, up 2 percent from last year. That is twice as fast as the 0.9% growth recorded in 2006, compared with 2005.
Demand is expected to accelerate further in the fourth quarter to 88 million barrels a day, an unprecedented quarterly volume and up 2.6 million barrels a day from the year-earlier period. In the second quarter, global oil demand already has risen at a 1.7% rate, more than double the 0.8% a year ago, according to forecasts and data compiled by the IEA.

Where's the demand coming from? All over, but especially China.

The China Daily reports: (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2007-06/19/content_897795.htm)

In the first five months this year, China's net oil imports roared to 65.83 million tons, an increase of 11.5 percent from the same period last year. At the same time, China produced 77.51 million tons of oil, a 1.7 percent rise year-on-year.
Customs statistics show that from January to May, China imported 67.43 million tons of crude oil, up 9.6 percent year-on-year. Meanwhile, it exported 1.6 million tons, down 36.6 percent.

And people think the price of gasoline is high now.

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2007/06/22/oil_prices/index.html

jetdawgg
06-24-07, 02:54 PM
The current USA energy policy is 'just keep paying at the pump'......

FistFu68
06-24-07, 02:59 PM
:evilgrin: GAS OR ASS? NOBODY RIDE'S FOR FREE!!!:evilgrin:

OLE SARG
06-24-07, 03:01 PM
The ****ing sky is falling again..........................chicken little!!!!

SEMPER FI,

jetdawgg
06-24-07, 03:02 PM
Why don't we have Solar Powered Cars? The cost of a solar battery is a lot cheaper than 4 bucks per gallon.

There are other alternative energies that should be employed by now. The landscape has changed and the oilmen want to continue the drain on the American economic populace

Technology rules except with this neanderthalic bunch

Sgt Leprechaun
06-25-07, 10:18 AM
I would gladly drive a solar car, believe it or not. However, they are too dang expensive for me at the present.

That having been said, no one is really, 100 percent sure, WHAT the oil reserves, and the oil that we are now tapping, total shelf life is. It's all guesstimation at this point.

The 'oilmen' will continue to 'drain' the economic populace as long as the populace continues to need oil for day to day life. It's not just in the gas tank, it's in the plastic keyboard we are typing on, the cell phone from our belt, some of the clothing we wear, our shoes, our water bottles,, etc etc etc.

10thzodiac
06-25-07, 11:53 AM
Americans and the rest of the world's love affair with their automobiles has not only created a Frankenstein, allot of people have mortgaged their retirement buying them and will have to live in a cardboard box under a bridge when they stop working.

Unlike allot in my family I never had a love affair with automobiles and never learned to drive until I was 22 years old (too poor) and didn't want a military drivers license and have to go to the motor pool on working details and get all full of grease.

I do buy new cars only after bad experiences with my first two used cars. Presently I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla and just checked the highway miles per gallon, 40 MPG. It is in LN condition with 17K miles but I haven't washed or waxed it since last year. Like I said, cars do not make my dick hard http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/22.gif

hrscowboy
06-25-07, 12:27 PM
what really needs to happen is the automobile manufacturers in america need to be told get all vehicles to get 40 miles to a gallon or you wont be a manufacture for long..

FistFu68
06-25-07, 12:57 PM
:evilgrin: CHIT THAT MEAN'S,I GOTTA SELL MY $11000.00 SPINNER WHEEL'S FOR MY HOOPTEEDO,JUST TOO AFFORD PUTTING SOLAR PANEL'S ON THE ROOF OF MY BENTLEY.IF IT AIN'T ONE THANG,IT'S ANOTHER???:D

drumcorpssnare
06-25-07, 03:05 PM
I worked the oilfields of Wyoming for many years, and personally witnessed many wells (oil & gas) that were drilled, test-flowed, and capped.
My ex-father-in law was an executive with Atlantic-Richfield (ARCO). The inside info back in the 80's was, American oil companies would hold vast quantities of oil and natural gas, in reserve, until such time as the oil in the Middle East began to dwindle...in 50 to 100 years. Then we would have the oil...and they would not.
Whether these wells have been "un-capped", or when they will be, I don't know.
drumcorpssnare:usmc: