PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Marine kills bear with log, gets ticketed

LCPLE3
06-24-07, 12:39 AM
Park officials drawn to scene cited him for not securing campsite

HELEN, Ga. - A former Marine killed a bear with a single blow — by tossing a log at its head.
The bear had snatched the family's cooler from their campsite in a national forest in northern Georgia. The 300-pound black bear was taking its loot back into the woods when Chris Everhart's 6-year-old son threw a shovel at it.
Everhart says the bear started charging, so he grabbed the first thing he could find, which happened to be a log from the family's firewood.

Everhart lobbed the chunk of wood, hitting the bear in the head and killing it.
"(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head," Everhart said. "I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear."
The close call earned Everhart bragging rights — and a ticket. Park authorities say he didn't properly secure his campsite.

erased
06-24-07, 01:01 AM
Crazy story... but this is the third thread related to it.

TheDude
06-24-07, 05:51 AM
No good deed goes unpunished.

Osotogary
06-24-07, 10:09 PM
How does one secure a campsite? Maybe the food wasn't enclosed and elevated.
I've seen bears just kind of mozzie on up to campsites in Yosemite after crossing a stream and start rummaging. The campsites looked clean and up to snuff but a curious and a hungry bear is just that....a hungry bear. Was a ticket issued to the bear?

davblay
06-24-07, 10:16 PM
I'd pay the ticket---I mean that's a small price to pay for your families security! I would have done the same thing! Who wouldn't?

greensideout
06-24-07, 10:46 PM
What a joke! It used to be that the laws served the people, but it seems that now the people serve the laws.

Skin the bear, eat the meat and enjoy sinking your feet into the bear skin rug.

ggyoung
06-25-07, 11:07 AM
Osotogary___Food and garbage are to stored inside a locked car or pick-up or in a bag tied to a tree branch out of reach of a bear. Kids are to be watched that they don't sneek candy or any outher food into there sleeping bag for a late night snack. Being a campground hoast for 10 years here in Utah you can tell some people on what to do untill you are blue in the face and they still don't get it right. Case in point just last week end a 11 year old boy was killed by a bear here in Utah. Some people just don't get it. Here in Utah you can have a gun to protect you camp from any thing or any one who might bring you harm.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-25-07, 11:29 AM
Yep. He deserved the citation. That takes nothing away from what he did.

sdk87to91
06-25-07, 05:59 PM
There is not anything about securing the campsite in my Title 36 code of federal regulations. If that were the case we would have to cite people everyday. The earlier post said it was national forest. so it must be a local order written for a particular area.
Keep in mind that national Parks are much more strict.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-07, 06:04 AM
I know from the NPS guys I've talked to that there are rules/regs about campfires, 'molesting the ground' etc. But, you are no doubt right, I wonder if it's a local rule/reg specific for that park?

I can't find it in my CFR either.

ggyoung
06-26-07, 10:43 AM
Here in Utah and outher states these rules and regs are put out by the fish and game departments. The fish and game and the NFS work hand in hand to enforce them. All of Utah is bear country. So far this year there have been several bear seen on the east side of my home town. My oldst son and 2 of his friends treed a bear on my willow creak land.