PDA

View Full Version : Bush to address nation on Iraq

thedrifter
03-17-03, 09:50 AM
Bush to address nation on Iraq

Monday, March 17, 2003 Posted: 10:45 AM EST (1545 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush will demand Monday night that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein step down and leave the country in order to avoid war, the White House said.

Bush is scheduled to address the nation at 8 p.m. ET Monday. White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said diplomatic efforts to avoid war have ended, and Saddam must leave Iraq in order to avoid military action.

Word of the televised speech came just moments after United Nations representatives from the United States, Britain and Spain said they would not seek a second Security Council vote on a resolution aimed at disarming Iraq of alleged weapons of mass destruction.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan was expected later Monday to inform the council that he is withdrawing U.N. weapons inspectors from Iraq. The United States had advised the United Nations to remove its weapons inspectors from Iraq, and offered to help ensure their safe passage.

After a Sunday summit with British and Spanish leaders in the Azores, President Bush said that Monday would be a "moment of truth" -- a final day for the United Nations to work out a diplomatic solution to the Iraqi crisis acceptable to the U.S.-led coalition.

Along the Kuwait-Iraq border, the U.N. Iraq-Kuwait Observer Mission on Monday pulled its remaining staff from both sides of the demilitarized zone separating the two nations. (Full story)

Also Monday, the U.S. State Department urged all U.S. citizens to leave Kuwait due to the threat of war. The warning followed Sunday's notice for all U.S. Embassy nonemergency staff and family members to depart.

Germany and Russia have already urged their citizens to leave Iraq and to avoid traveling there. Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that Moscow continues to support a peaceful resolution of the crisis only and "any other option would be a mistake."

There are 60 inspectors remaining in Iraq out of about 140 international staff. Chief U.N. weapons inspector Hans Blix has said inspectors will need 24 to 48 hours to clear out of the country.

The Iraqi government has had no immediate reaction about the possible pullout, but an Iraqi official stressed that the country has cooperated with the Security Council.

Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Sa'eed al-Sahaf said: "We've done everything, and we will continue to cooperate with the Security Council..."

The continued threat of a U.S.-led war on Iraq came as a newly released CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll said 64 percent of Americans surveyed favor sending U.S. ground forces to remove Saddam from power -- up five percentage points from a similar survey earlier this month. The telephone poll interviewed 1,007 adults on Friday and Saturday.

In London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his Cabinet were scheduled to hold an emergency meeting Monday afternoon to discuss whether diplomatic efforts to avert a war in Iraq have been exhausted, a government spokesman said.

CNN Correspondents Rym Brahimi and John King and CNN Moscow Bureau Chief Jill Dougherty contributed to this report. For latest developments, see CNN.com's Iraq Tracker.

Sempers,

Roger

God Bless America

God Bless Our Troops

SheWolf
03-17-03, 11:15 AM
Well, I have mixed feelings about this......
I'm not really sure I believe Bush's motives are what they should be,,, but I know that Saddam needs to be dealt with...

I guess part of my feelings are because I haven't heard from my son in a while,,, and yes, I'm worried....

:no:

I know he will do his best, but they had put him on the NBC team,, and that worries me too.... I just want it to be over, although I am not naive enough to think it will be over as quickly as it was last time,,,,,

May God watch over all the troops and keep them safe in his arms, and if it is his Will that some come home with HIM,,,, please help the families left behind

Sgt Sostand
03-17-03, 11:29 AM
well i think this is the last click of the clock i hope Saddam Hussein step down and leave the Country

SheWolf
03-17-03, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Sostand
well i think this is the last click of the clock i hope Saddam Hussein step down and leave the Country

that would be ideal, but I don't have much hope that he would do so,, and even if he did,, would he still cause trouble from wherever he went,,,, where would he go?

so,, my thoughts go on....

just worried I guess,,

must be the mom in me:no:

Sgt Sostand
03-17-03, 03:27 PM
SheWolf your son should be fine :)

SheWolf
03-17-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Sostand
SheWolf your son should be fine :)

I hope so.......

JChristin
03-17-03, 04:39 PM
SheWolf, <br />
<br />
I can understand and empathize your concern for your son. Having two sons of my own, who are now in their late teens, I ask myself, &quot;What if they were in my beloved Marine Corps, how...

SheWolf
03-17-03, 05:05 PM
I would build faith in my son (or daughter – if I had one) abilities to not only perform well, but also in his “buddies” abilities to watch each other’s “backs,” during the time of challenge.

I know what you are saying, and I do understand it,,, but I know that sometimes even the best men may fail,,,

That being said,, I am trying to keep the faith and I know that my son will do his best,,, he's been brought up to do his best in whatever he does,,

But as his mom, I still worry, and I have my moments,

thank you for the support and encouragement,, I guess today was one of my "bad" days........:bunny:

thedrifter
03-17-03, 05:18 PM
All our Service Men an Women over in the Middle East are in good hands.........Our Brother and Sister Marines are the best trained and are their for each other...........

"GOD BLESS AMERICA, AND ALL THOSE WHO WILL BE IN HARM'S WAY"

Sempers,

Roger