PDA

View Full Version : A Different Type of Recruit

thedrifter
06-23-07, 11:09 AM
A Different Type of Recruit
WTAP Sports
Reporter: Keith Cawley
Email Address: keith.cawley@wtap.com

Playing college football is a dream many high school players never get to experience.

Shawn Robinson had that chance, but he chose a different path.

For the St. Marys standout, the decision wasn't where to play his college ball, but whether to play college ball at all.

After weeks of thought, the recent Blue Devil graduate announced his intentions to pass up offers from Marietta, Muskingum, and Otterbein, among others, to offer up his services to the United States Marine Corps.

"It was rough. I didn't want it to get out, so that's why it was kind of a surprise to a lot of people," said the Class A first-team all-state selection.

"I sat down on a piece of paper, and wrote down what would be the pros and cons of going to college and joining the Marines. That kind of helped me make my decision a little bit."

It's a decision that he will immediately be forced to back up. Shawn is scheduled to leave for Beckley on Sunday, where he'll meet up with fellow recruits before reporting to basic training at Paris Island on Monday.

"I wanted him to make the decision on his own, because down the road he can look back and know that he wasn't pushed into doing this," said Shawn's father, Dave.

Upon transferring from Ritchie County after his freshman year, Shawn quickly built up a fan base among Pleasants County youngsters.

He never turned down the opportunity to give a young fan a picture or an autograph, and now he can't turn down the chance to set a good example.

"I've always wanted to make sure that both of my boys respected the community enough that they could earn that respect back," said his mother, Betty.

"Words don't really describe how proud you are," said his father. "You know, sometimes you think it's kind of dangerous, but life is dangerous. I'm real proud of him."

That pride is reflected in one humble Blue Devil's decision to forego football in pursuit of honor, courage and committment in the Marines.

"I know I've got to do something, and I'm pretty sure this is the decision I want to make," said the recruit. "I'm gonna go with it."

Ellie